The Official 2015 Sumsum <3 Page

didit

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I stopped for gas on Saturday In Julesberg, CO and talked with a man and his wife from Princeton, MN who was riding a BMW K1300GT or K1200GT. We chatted a bit because he said his son owns a 1999 VFR. He stated that he ran into several VFRD members a day or two earlier in Colorado.

Was just curious if any of you spoke to this guy? In hindsight, i should have suggested to him that his son join VFRD.

I was glad to be home but also wish i was still in Colorado.

• Member Contributer

Mike we did chat with a red 5th gen in Paracute Co. On the I70 a few hours or so before Montrose on the 18th. Maybe him. But doesnt line up with a few days earlier.

Made it home safe and sound...Really enjoyed the Travel to and from colorado again (3140 Miles on the VFR). Will gather some pics of our adventures and put them up soon.

Thanks again Veefer800Canuck for the venture and the ongoing hunt for the elusive Coke bottle, my great hotel choices along the road. From the lack of power and fires to

the one hotel that was closed and had forgotten about us...

Tony & Craig again thanks for all the work you guys do to put this together. Maybe you to should put another meet in Nelson for us locals.

• Member Contributer

Made it home safe and sound late last night, after a very fun trip and great meet. Thanks again Tony, and to everyone who attended and made it a great time! :)

• Member Contributer

Tony and I are in mount Shasta for the night. Had another great ride up and found a bunch of great roads through the mountains. Was thinking how much Jeff wound have been in heaven. Glad members have made it home safe already.

• Member Contributer

Sorry that I missed this summit. I did see someone on a Blue VFR headed towards Montrose. I was on my trip through Colorado headed back to Arizona. Maybe next time.

https://goo.gl/photos/gPn1o9EBH413Y4oa7

Haha! That was me. I mentioned to the gang that I spotted a red Sixth gen passing westward towards Cortez....... Was wondering who it was. Mystery solved. :)

• Member Contributer

Arrived in Cascade Locks, radar saved us nicely, several times. Dam Oregon speed limit of 55.

Last leg tomorrow, hoping to avoid rain.

Been thinking alot about the last week.

Feel so blessed to know so many good people.

Will be writing letters to all the sponsors with the group photo and that ks from all of us.

• Member Contributer

Arrived in Cascade Locks, radar saved us nicely, several times. Dam Oregon speed limit of 55.

Last leg tomorrow, hoping to avoid rain.

Been thinking alot about the last week.

Feel so blessed to know so many good people.

Will be writing letters to all the sponsors with the group photo and that ks from all of us.

Glad you're having a good trip. Heavy rain and winds coming to Oregon late Friday nite. Thanks for a great event. Safe travels home.

• Member Contributer

Heavy rain and winds coming to Oregon late Friday nite. Thanks for a great event. Safe travels home.

Thanks for the heads up on the weather, Cogswell!

Finally in Oregon. A week in Colorado was awesome. The meet was fantastic! Ride out to Boulder was near perfect, and Pike's Peak was a check off on the ol'bucket list. Taking a wrong turn and riding a narrow rutted washboard gravel road with 15% down grade section and truck traffic to the Platt River was not on the list, but I'll check it off, as well.

Southern Idaho served up some very demanding riding thru Idaho City to McCall. Enjoying a few cold beers in Joseph, OR, and planning to ride some recommended routes to Edgefield McMinnemin's tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

^ Pikes Peak was on my list but it didn't happen. Riding to 14,000+ feet sounds like a hoot. I'll have to go back. I rode Independence Pass at 12,000+ feet.

• Member Contributer

The forecast tonight mentioned cooler weather for tomorrow with some showers west of the Cascades, with heavier rain moving in over Friday night in to Saturday. They weren't sure the rain would make it over to the east side of the mountains to say John Day (where it's really needed to help with the fires).

• Member Contributer

Just arrived home after leaving Cascade Locks Oregon this morning. Great trip and great memories. See you all next time.

• Member Contributer

Trip almost at an end I was thinking how lucky I was with weather, the roads, fun times, etc. Then the next thing I see is a state trooper signalling to pull a U-turn as I crest a peak into The Dalles.

Well, my luck ran out.

Or did it?

• Member Contributer

Home safe and sound after 3,533 miles (5,686 kms). Tony 'Didit' again with SumSum3! The roads were good, the sights were good--and the people were great. It was inspiring to see Maxswell back on the horse after his deer hunting episodes and planning an extended tour.

I took four days off the bike in Steamboat Springs, CO to do some hiking and sightseeing before riding home. Steamboat is an interesting town with great restaurants and pubs--I highly recommend it. If you're a hiker, the trails are mostly below the tree line and the flora and fauna is much more abundant than other areas I've hiked in Colorado. On one trail (Sarvis Creek) we got within 20 yards of a large brown bear (we were down wind). Luckily, he was as smart as your average bear and bolted into the bush as soon as he saw us.

I took a fairly direct and interstate intensive route back, but managed to avoid significant rain today (though I gave my rain gear a good test Wednesday riding through Wyoming).

For some reason I like riding Snoqualmie Pass on I-90: The locals usually take it at a good clip, it has some impressive grades both going up from the east and down into the west, and there are a few sweepers to focus the attention.

Keep the 'safely home' reports coming!

• Member Contributer

One long and tiring day. Finished up with 499.5 miles from Cascade Locks to home.

Lots of dirty sky and burnt land as I passed through Wenatchee, Chelan and Omak. Lots of smoke here in the Okanagan too.

Received 3 drops of rain as I turned on to my street.

Outstanding adventure. No tickets, no wildlife encounters, no issues. Nothing but great roads (except for around Mt St Helens, Yuck), hot days and fabulous people.

A big cheers to CVVFR, 9 years of riding and it only gets better.

Once I off load the images & video tomorrow I'll post up a bunch. Cheers everyone!

• Member Contributer

Trip almost at an end I was thinking how lucky I was with weather, the roads, fun times, etc. Then the next thing I see is a state trooper signalling to pull a U-turn as I crest a peak into The Dalles.

Well, my luck ran out.

Or did it?

Well ... ? The mystery is killing me.

Are you home now Sparrow? If not, you're wet, very wet. I woke up at 7 a.m. (in my own bed, after two weeks on the road) to the sound of a biblical downpour. Environment Canada is calling for rain every day until Thursday, with rain and wind warnings and thunderstorms today. It's so dark today it feels like something is wrong--we haven't had this kind of rain since March or April. Ride carefully if you're still out there.

• Member Contributer

Home safe and sound after 3,533 miles (5,686 kms). Tony 'Didit' again with SumSum3! The roads were good, the sights were good--and the people were great. It was inspiring to see Maxswell back on the horse after his deer hunting episodes and planning an extended tour.

I took four days off the bike in Steamboat Springs, CO to do some hiking and sightseeing before riding home. Steamboat is an interesting town with great restaurants and pubs--I highly recommend it. If you're a hiker, the trails are mostly below the tree line and the flora and fauna is much more abundant than other areas I've hiked in Colorado. On one trail (Sarvis Creek) we got within 20 yards of a large brown bear (we were down wind). Luckily, he was as smart as your average bear and bolted into the bush as soon as he saw us.

I took a fairly direct and interstate intensive route back, but managed to avoid significant rain today (though I gave my rain gear a good test Wednesday riding through Wyoming).

For some reason I like riding Snoqualmie Pass on I-90: The locals usually take it at a good clip, it has some impressive grades both going up from the east and down into the west, and there are a few sweepers to focus the attention.

Glad you made it home safely. Coincidentally, I read this Denver Post column, just after reading your post.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28722235/bear-chases-cyclist-waterton-canyon-area-closed-public

This is the second incident I read about in CO this summer, where a bear has chased someone one a mountain bike. Good thing you encountered "Yogi". Did you report the encounter?

• Member Contributer

I'm so glad to hear everyone is making it back home safely. This was our first SumSum and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Such a beautiful place! Tony, you did an awesome job planning and preparing. The evening events were just as entertaining and enjoyable as the rides. ;-) I enjoyed the time spent with each one of y'all and look forward to the next time.

• Member Contributer

Wow! A bear in person will definitely grab one's attention. Glad that worked out and you're home safely! We'd hate to have to call you "Bearslayer"! :smile2:

Well, my luck ran out.

Or did it?

Well ... ? The mystery is killing me.

Are you home now Sparrow? If not, you're wet, very wet. I woke up at 7 a.m. (in my own bed, after two weeks on the road) to the sound of a biblical downpour. Environment Canada is calling for rain every day until Thursday, with rain and wind warnings and thunderstorms today. It's so dark today it feels like something is wrong--we haven't had this kind of rain since March or April. Ride carefully if you're still out there.

Same here - the teaser is killing me too! How did the U turn end?

Archived