Hello Hello... Marriedman's 6Th Gen New Owner

Draginknee

Well I figured since the VFR is at it's new home now I should post an official hello thread. I bought Marriedman's 6th gen VFR. It has been a great bike so far. I rode it 1326 miles from his house in OH to mine in FL, without any hiccups, so I guess it passes my buyer's inspection. Haven't even gotten it registered here in FL yet and got some new Metzeler M5's mounted on it as the front tire had some serious cupping once I got home. Next on the list:

Remove center stand

Pair block off

BMC air filter
Delkevic Header

PCV w/auto tune

Suspension re-done for my weight, either by DMr or GMD

I have a couple items to take off and send back too as he let me borrow a couple that helped in my ease and comfort getting home.

A little about me... I started riding when I was 19 in the Corps in Cali where I was stationed at the time. Bought my first bike, a CBR600rr shortly after when I returned to FL and quickly turned to track days and "spirited" rides. I have owned every brand of Jap sport bike I can think of, plus a couple Italians. I also currently own an MV SENNA, which was my dream bike back when I first started riding.

Plans for the VFR is to be as sporty as a sport touring as I can get it without loosing too many comforts for long trips. I plan to commute with it during the winter here, as well as for rides I don't want to take the Senna out on. I will be up in North GA in a couple week for an MV meet and the VFR is coming with as well. Basically this will be my iron horse do it all bike. Also my wife is 6ft tall and has been telling me she wants to learn to ride, so if she actually goes and takes a rider's course and learns, this is what she will ride... then I'll have to get another bike, lol. That's still an IF... you know how women are.

Well I hope to meet some of you all out and about, am always looking to meet new people to ride with. If your in FL, or even SWFL close to me let me know. I'm not online all the time, but do like to read and research a lot, so most of my time for a while will be "lurking". Thanks!!

20140920_080708.jpg

20140927_093029.jpg

Congrats on your acquisition. I'd highly recommend you keep your center stand - it's incredibly handy for quick chain lubes, cleaning, and general maintenance / inspection. It won't interfere with ground clearance (your peg and exhaust header will drag first).

Thanks guys!! As far as the center stand goes I don't think I'll ever use it. I have quite a few aftermarket stands already, and this is the first bike I have ever had with a center stand, so I just haven't felt the need yet.

• Member Contributer

Might I suggest leaving it on and trying it once in a while. If you decide it is not required then you can remove it. As a couple people have mentioned it comes in handy for doing regular chain maintenance, tire changes, keeping the bike steady and secure while doing regular maintenance. The best thing about the center stand in my opinion is that it tucks neatly out of the way when not I use, and doesn't take up any extra space in the garage. I know you stated that you already have a number of other stands already, but what could be better than a bike that comes with its own stand. Just a thought. Very much personal taste I understand, but maybe give the center stand a chance.

Think of it this way. Imagine being stuck with a flat tire in a parking lot somewhere when you're on a road trip 500 miles from home and need to remove the rear wheel to get the tire fixed. This actually happened to me once and having the center stand was a godsend. Aftermarket stands at home won't be much help if they're 500 miles away. Just put the bike up on the center stand, undo 4 bolts, remove the wheel and you're good to go.

Since the bike is yours after all, we can't change your mind, but a few different opinions never hurt. Good luck and nice ride. The red color on your bike is one of my all time favourites.

Damn thats a good looking bike! If I owned a 6th gen, it'd look just like that! :wink:

PM mello dude for block off plates!

Ha ha... Hey man. That color on your new VFR looks really familiar. I did PM him already ;-)

Might I suggest leaving it on and trying it once in a while. If you decide it is not required then you can remove it. As a couple people have mentioned it comes in handy for doing regular chain maintenance, tire changes, keeping the bike steady and secure while doing regular maintenance. The best thing about the center stand in my opinion is that it tucks neatly out of the way when not I use, and doesn't take up any extra space in the garage. I know you stated that you already have a number of other stands already, but what could be better than a bike that comes with its own stand. Just a thought. Very much personal taste I understand, but maybe give the center stand a chance.

Think of it this way. Imagine being stuck with a flat tire in a parking lot somewhere when you're on a road trip 500 miles from home and need to remove the rear wheel to get the tire fixed. This actually happened to me once and having the center stand was a godsend. Aftermarket stands at home won't be much help if they're 500 miles away. Just put the bike up on the center stand, undo 4 bolts, remove the wheel and you're good to go.

Since the bike is yours after all, we can't change your mind, but a few different opinions never hurt. Good luck and nice ride. The red color on your bike is one of my all time favourites.

I definitely get it... but on the flip side I still have to have something to take the wheel off and a place to take the wheel to to get a tire... and then what do I do with the bike? just leave it there? I've had to deal with that in the past and a tire repair kit and a can of compressed air works pretty well, and quicker, and I don't have to leave the bike if I'm on my own. I know I'm not going to have an answer for every situation, but I also get that if it's not hurting just leave it be... we'll see how it goes and I appreciate the input either way :-)

• Member Contributer

I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE ridden my VFR to work, pulled both wheels in the Post Office back lot, taken them to a shop for new tires on my way to do my route, then picked them up on my way back to the office and then ridden the thing home with new tires. :cheerleader:

I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE ridden my VFR to work, pulled both wheels in the Post Office back lot, taken them to a shop for new tires on my way to do my route, then picked them up on my way back to the office and then ridden the thing home with new tires. :cheerleader:

Lol... that may or may not be AWESOME

• Member Contributer

Welcome. I looked at Marriedman's 5th gen over the winter but didn't buy it. That sale was, of course, used to buy the 6th gen you just purchased from him. He didn't want to part with that 8 spoke wheel at the time of the 5th gen sale, and there was no way I could work in a trip from Winston Salem to OH and back and consider any part of this sane (although still very cool). Way to take it a step further and do it from twice as far away! The 6th gen is the bike to own IMHO with regard to overall value. No doubt I am biased.

• Member Contributer

If history repeats itself, MM has that near new 7th, and somewhere out there, he declares, he hates the 7th and go buys an 8th... lol j/k

Hey Dragin... welcome... How 'bout a few pics of the MV?

If history repeats itself, MM has that near new 7th, and somewhere out there, he declares, he hates the 7th and go buys an 8th... lol j/k

Hey Dragin... welcome... How 'bout a few pics of the MV?

Alright... since you asked

This is the day I bought it... my son (3 months at the time) was the first one to sit on it

20140323_143436.jpg

And now in my garage....

20140625_103216.jpg

20140625_103236.jpg

Welcome. I looked at Marriedman's 5th gen over the winter but didn't buy it. That sale was, of course, used to buy the 6th gen you just purchased from him. He didn't want to part with that 8 spoke wheel at the time of the 5th gen sale, and there was no way I could work in a trip from Winston Salem to OH and back and consider any part of this sane (although still very cool). Way to take it a step further and do it from twice as far away! The 6th gen is the bike to own IMHO with regard to overall value. No doubt I am biased.

It was a tough decision, and we talked for a good bit. There was another 03' 6th gen in NY I was looking at as well, but this one took the cake with the color, rear wheel, exhaust, and marriedman's patience to all my questions in not only making sure this was the right vfr, but also learning about the vfr in general and what made his stand out (also apparent from just browsing vfr's for sale for a while).

Yeah, don't think so! The 7th gen is turning out to be a very good fit for me. The more I ride it, the more I like it. I fully expect to be in love with it once I get some Pilot Road 4's on it.

Dragin was really cool, so it easy to be patient with him. Plus I just love talking about VFR's.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, don't think so! The 7th gen is turning out to be a very good fit for me. The more I ride it, the more I like it. I fully expect to be in love with it once I get some Pilot Road 4's on it.

Dragin was really cool, so it easy to be patient with him. Plus I just love talking about VFR's.

I wonder if I could talk CornerCarver into installing a 7th gen VFR engine in my BMW. Or maybe K12S body work on a 7th gen? Hmmmm.

I dont miss the center stand at all. But fyi you will have to wait until you remove the headers to remove it. I just use a car jack where the old cat converter bolted to for tire and chain maintenance.

Never mind you are already past that point.

Gotta love that MV Augusta 4 barrel shotgun. :beer:

Yea, I was really upset when they went to a square exhaust on the 2010 and newer F4's... you can still get aftermarket in this style for them... but come on... this is where it's at, gotta stay with the round, lol. Even the F3's and 800 Dragsters have round side exits... :fing02:

Archived