New! Fork Cartridge Kits For Vfr750 And Vfr800

JamieDaugherty

• Member Contributer

So........... do we have an members with a 4th gen here who can tell us the differences this complete kit makes vs OEM in the real world of non-track riding? :unsure:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

So........... do we have an members with a 4th gen here who can tell us the differences this complete kit makes vs OEM in the real world of non-track riding? :unsure:

BUMP!!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Am tempted of course, but $600 (incl shipping) a significant amount of money;

especially with a complete 2nd hand 4th gen costing $1,500-$1,800 here (granted with oem suspension).

Hence me looking for 4th fen owners' experiences.

Dutch, It's worth it. My bike felt much more poised and never wallowed anymore. Plus, with the adjustability, you can make it as firm or soft. It's a quite a bit of quid, but knowing how much you ride, I would say absolutely do it.

• Member Contributer

it actually matters more in the "Real World" where the road is not as smooth as most tracks.

The improved damping is noticeable over bumps/cracks/potholes, and better chassis attitude under braking. Even at a casual pace it feels more planted in the twisties, and more controlled when swerving.

IMHO......

• Member Contributer

it actually matters more in the "Real World" where the road is not as smooth as most tracks.

The improved damping is noticeable over bumps/cracks/potholes, and better chassis attitude under braking. Even at a casual pace it feels more planted in the twisties, and more controlled when swerving.

IMHO......

Although I would technically agree that the real world of the roads we ride would warrant more adjustability, I find that unless you are hitting the same roads over and over, by the time you've ridden on a road, such as in a touring situation, you really don't have/take time to stop and adjust your settings, as by the time you do your road conditions might change down the road anyway. I found that I choose the best setting for how you want the bike to respond and feel as an average and just ride on.

On the track however, since you are riding the same stretch of road over and over, apart from maybe changing your line(s) periodically, your more apt to be able to tune your suspension for that track. This would apply to each and every track you ride, vice the one time road travelled.

Of course every rider is different as is every road so in an almost true sense of the term...YMMV.

• Member Contributer

Dutch, It's worth it. My bike felt much more poised and never wallowed anymore. Plus, with the adjustability, you can make it as firm or soft. It's a quite a bit of quid, but knowing how much you ride, I would say absolutely do it.

Was yours on a 4th gen?

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I wussed out (due to lack of time and questionable skills) and had the kits installed professionally, I am going to go pick them up this afternoon. But one question the installer had was about a washer between the spacer and the spring, he put the original washer back in, but said he could not find if this was correct in the instructions.

Just a little feedback.

Hopefully I can get them installed this weekend and head to Shady Valley for a tuning session.

• Member Contributer

I put my kit in yesterday, was quite simple and the included instructions outline the process well. Granted, this is not the first time I've been inside this set of forks.

Per the washers - I don't think it will make any difference. I used the included washers, but the old could have been used instead. I think using the old washer will slightly change where the preload adjuster ends up, but shouldn't disrupt function. I.e. you can have the same amount of preload as someone else but the adjuster is in a slightly different spot. This may be relevant at extreme ends of preload adjustment, but I didn't measure anything to give you a definite answer.

No ride report for quite some time though, since I'm still in the middle of an extensive resto-mod.

• 2 months later...

I must be slipping to have missed this post until today. Now I know what my project over the winter will be . . . That looks too nice to hide inside a fork tube!

That's what I was thinking, maybe clear fork tubes. I think I will also do mine over the winter and a full paintjob. Now what's this about a rear shock?

• Member Contributer

Obviously you've never ridden at Nelson Ledges...heh heh... :goofy:

Seriously though, the Ledges track is notoriously bumpy...however, tracks while generally smoother, present problems we don't regularly see on the street because the speeds and lean angles and acceleration are different...both have their issues. Street riding almost never compresses my forks to 3/4 of their travel...unless I'm riding in NH or ME..where frost heave is SIGNIFICANT..and at normal or "spirited" highway speeds really beats your suspension up. I almost never ride at or above 75% on the street. Even on the track--I'm not racing at a trackday--I'm not above 90% (of MY capability) most of my sessions--I am crash adverse.

However, even at some tracks you will find transitions from pavement to concrete, certain corners or straits have bumps, because of the speed (equals energy) you are doing a good amount of high speed compression of the forks and shock...and they take serious hits...

On the low speed side, I almost NEVER brake as hard as I do on the track...so good low speed comp for braking and having good feel under hard initial braking and trail braking are a must...

IMHO......

• Member Contributer

I already have a DMr CBR shock on my VFR so going with the DMr fork kit was a no brainer for me. I've had my DMr kit sitting on the pool table for several months but I haven't had time to install it. I finally got to it Sunday night. The first fork took a while because I cleaned both forks and the fender as they came off, and I read the instructions over and over as I went along. The second fork took all of 5 minutes to disassemble and reassemble and a couple more minutes to make sure I got the fluid level correct. I bolted the front end back together and went for a quick 5 minute ride through town where I at least have a chance to see a deer before it runs out in front of me. Running at speeds below 50 and without making any adjustments at all, the ride was much, much better! No more bone crushing hammering of my wrists/arms over every tiny bump. (Yes, heavier fork springs can help make your ride more compliant!) In fact, I was riding over every bump I saw in the road on purpose just to feel the difference! :cheerleader:

Since I had the lift pulled out on the shop floor, I bled the brakes and clutch last night. The levers were a little mushy and the fluid had a light beer color in the windows. Upon opening the reservoirs, the color was much more like a rich red ale. Doubt it tasted like it, though. :unsure: Don't let the window color fool you. It's going to be darker when you open it up.

back_img4.png

Unfortunately, rain is in the forecast for the next several days and I won't have much of a chance to truly evaluate my work for a while.

BTW, The only thing I'm dissappointed in with my two DMr purchases is that I didn't get any DMr stickers that everybody else seems to have.

BTW, The only thing I'm dissappointed in with my two DMr purchases is that I didn't get any DMr stickers that everybody else seems to have.

Same here! I wanted some to go on my forks :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Yeah, the rumour is they're worth another 5km/hr top speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived