New Vfr Suspension Question

Guest Phantomx2K

Guest Phantomx2K

Just brought home my new 2014 VFR, this is the 3rd VFR i've owned. So far it's great except one issue, the front is hard has a rock, it just bounces over everything its almost like it has no front suspension. Now the website and everything I'm reading says the standard VFR (not the deluxe) has adjustable preload front and rear, this according to Honda's website as well. But for the life of me I can't find an adjustment anywhere on the front end to adjust anything. This thing seriously rides like a brick. My other 2 VFR's were very plush stock this one is unbearable. The dealer forgot to give me the manual so I have no idea how to adjust anything. Apparently you can adjust the seat height too but with no manual I'm kinda stuck lol.

If anyone has the new standard (non deluxe) and can tell me how to adjust the front and rear I'd be very appreciative.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

That is backwards. The deluxe has rebound and preload front and rear. The standard does not. I have pictures somewhere. The deluxe I test rode was very compliant, can't comment on the standard. Hope this helps.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

Interesting cause Honda's website says it does. I have to say the front end is awful without adjustments, really really harsh and non compliant at all.

post-30524-0-96205200-1402194924.png

It may be getting brought back on Monday. the front suspension on this thing is just awful. I recall there was a 3 day 100 mile clause that allows you to return it if your unhappy. Anyone heard of that or done that? Since you can't test ride them first if you hate it what can you do?

I want the deluxe for sure for $1k more you get fully adjustable suspension, heated grips, ABS, traction control and a center stand. I've never known Honda to do that with the VFR's, offer two different models so i never even thought to ask. Of course I may be screwed now that it's purchased and can't do anything.

It was in impulse buy and now I may be hosed...

• Member Contributer

did you have the bike set for you?

i am guessing not. try that on sunday it may make everything much better.. how ever you will need someone who has a clue about setting up suspension. :fing02:

Phantomx2K...is your name Bill?

Yes that's me. Been awhile since I was around these parts. Well since I wrecked my last VFR. I loved that bike. Remus exhaust sounds sooooo sweet. That was 2007 I believe. I've had a flurry of bikes since then, a couple GoldWings, F6B, Victory Vision, M109, Ducati, you name it. Still love the VFR and i was so excited they made the 800 again but man is this front suspension a disaster.

To add to that I'm really disappointed in Honda's quality lately. They are known for having amazing riding machines (not always the fastest but the nicest to ride) and lately the front suspensions are just garbage. I just bought a 2014 GoldWing all black (murdered out) and the fronts a mess I just ordered new springs and having the front end rebuilt with 2200 miles on it. Then I get this thing and it's bone jarring to ride. Nothing like my old ones for sure.

I'd love to set the suspension on it but the front has zero adjustability despite the website saying it does.

So is Bailyrock and Tiny Minds and all those guys around still?

Here are a couple pics of the new bikes, that's my SRT8 in the background as well:

2B6A6EEA-9114-4200-A6CD-ED22D2A98207.jpg

50CFBE14-77EC-479F-BA4F-F08744A34A21.jpg

Well went for a short ride after doing all I could with the rear suspension, it's a little better at highway speeds but low speeds especially in the 30+ mph range it's absolutely teeth chattering bad. Guess we head back to the dealer on Monday and see what they say... Despite what the Honda site says there is NO adjustment for the front at all not even preload.

I want the deluxe for sure for $1k more you get fully adjustable suspension, heated grips, ABS, traction control and a center stand. I've never known Honda to do that with the VFR's, offer two different models so i never even thought to ask.

In Europe there is no such thing a a standard version that lacks all the options you mention. I wonder where else besides the US two versions are available.

Either way, even without preload and rebound adjustment (you don't get fully adjustable suspension on a VFR) it should not feel as hars as you describe it. I suspect something wrong with the suspension so take it easy as a suspension that is teeth s/chattering means loss of grip.

• Member Contributer

Well went for a short ride after doing all I could with the rear suspension, it's a little better at highway speeds but low speeds especially in the 30+ mph range it's absolutely teeth chattering bad. Guess we head back to the dealer on Monday and see what they say... Despite what the Honda site says there is NO adjustment for the front at all not even preload.

in that case. as V4Rosso says.. it still shouldnt be hash.. its normally to boingy.

so. take the specs and go back to the deal and NICELY ask WTF??

" paper says adjustability... i call it false advertizing.. do US BOTH a favor and have honda put the parts on forus eh!?"

Im doing some more tinkering with the rear trying to help it out a bit. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see what Honda has to say about the missing preload adjusters for the standard. At this point I'm shooting for one of 2 options. Install a factory preload adjustment (shouldn't be hard to do) or let me turn it back in and get me a Deluxe with full adjustability.

According to the Honda website:

Standard should have:

Front Suspension 43mm with spring-preload adjustability; 4.3 inches travel

Rear Suspension Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single spring-preload and rebound damping adjustability; 4.7 inches travel

And the Deluxe actually says exactly the same thing. So there site is totally jacked up lol...

• Member Contributer

if you have to spend $$ for the upgrade. i can tell you right now its NOT WORTH IT!

get some used cbr 600 forks and use the internals and a set of racetech emulators.

however. if the do install some bits for you.. then still shell out some $ for a racetech up grade or some bits from jamie daugherty ..

Im doing some more tinkering with the rear trying to help it out a bit. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see what Honda has to say about the missing preload adjusters for the standard. At this point I'm shooting for one of 2 options. Install a factory preload adjustment (shouldn't be hard to do) or let me turn it back in and get me a Deluxe with full adjustability.

Standard should have:

Rear Suspension Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single spring-preload and rebound damping adjustability; 4.7 inches travel

And the Deluxe actually says exactly the same thing. So there site is totally jacked up lol...

Two options, one install factory preload adjuster?

At this point you don't even know if they have cartridge forks on the standard model, its not uncommon for bikes to have the same fork shells but completely different internals. I highly doubt the dealer or Honda will pay to modify. Websites are always subject to inaccuracy clauses.

But if you have a 3 day clause to return the bike, you'll have to be firm in that direction.

• Member Contributer

Standard should have:

Websites are always subject to inaccuracy clauses.

grab a printed brochure.. and keep a few for back up...

and dont forget to tell them...

"MILLIONS of people just saw harley get shamed for not fixing a bike... do you think honda will take a hit for false advertising?"

• Member Contributer

I've not seen a 2014 800 in person yet. Hopefully the forks are Showa units as the KYB's aren't as good (the VFR12 guys know what I mean). That would explain the problem, but judging by the parts fiche I think they are Showa. If so upgrades would be a lot easier too. Pretty sad to think about how much a new bike costs and that you would want/need to turn right around and modify the suspension. However, that's most likely the only solution.

Adding adjustability is one of the items I hope to offer for that model soon.

That is a damn fine looking motorcycle. I like the looks of the new 800, waiting to see one with an aftermarket pipe. Maybe next year I'll ante up especially if there is a color that I really like. Red is nice though.

Actually ended up trading it back in yesterday. I can tell you all this, it's nothing like the old VFR. Both my 06 and 08 rode so awesome I would think nothing of jumping on, loading it up and heading to ride in the mountains, putting 600 miles in a day on it, as I've done with a bunch of the folks here. Those bikes always performed great and were plenty for my riding skill level.

I'm not sure what Honda's deal is, or what has changed but there front suspensions on there bikes is just turning into a mess. I've got my GoldWing going in Wednesday to get progressive springs put in because the ride is harsh and it's bottoming out the front forks on normal riding. This is my 4th wing, none of my other ones ever did that, I've never felt the need to update or upgrade any of the suspensions on my Wings or VFR's because they performed like they should for my level of riding. Both these bikes however are just awful. The VFR was just painful it was so harsh and bouncy just to a trip down the expressway was so aggravating I turned around and went home and parked it.

So they happened to have a CB1000R done up in Matte black and it looked pretty sick. I love the single sided swing arm like the Viffer's and a tick more power doesn't hurt. The real winner, fully adjustable suspension and it rides like a dream, heck at the moment the ride is actually more compliant than my Goldwing (not plush just more compliant).

Overall I'm super happy, I loved the looks of the VFR they did a fantastic job, I even him'mmmed and hawwww'ed about trading it back in because it was just so pretty but in the end after 10 minutes on the CB1000R it was a for sure deal. More power, better handling, 50lbs lighter. It reminds me a lot of my Ducati Monster I used to have and I loved that bike.

So shortest VFR ownership in history I think lol. I'll give this piece of advice DON'T BUY A STANDARD! Spring for the deluxe and get fully adjustable suspension (your gonna need it), heated grips, ABS and traction control for only $1k.

The Irony of this picture is I owned all 3 bikes in it at one point. That F6B is the one I traded in, the VFR is the one I just traded and the CB1000R is the new one. Didn't realize that till after I looked at the picture later in the day:

F3E92D73-5005-44D5-9B8F-B1F5776504F9.jpg

0F7E3993-17C3-4D20-9812-E30F64B0B523.jpg

Wow, a couple of questions, how hard was it to enact the 3 day rule?

why did you decide against the deluxe model vfr?

It sounds like you were able to test ride the cbr before deciding, couldn't test ride the deluxe?

• Member Contributer

So why doesn't Honda put the CB upside down and (presumably) adjustable forks on the VFR. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I wasn't able to do anything with the 3 day rule. They basically gave me 10,500 on the bike to trade it back in, I paid 12k for it and then gave me a discount on the new bike to help make up the difference. Aside from taxes and paperwork ended up being about a $1500 mistake on my part. We live and learn I guess. They did give me a 10 mile out clause on the CB1000R, if I didn't like it in 10 miles bring it back and they would tear up the paperwork, needless to say it took me about 5 and I just kept on riding lol.

I didn't know they had the deluxe when I saw the VFR and because I had owned them before I figured they didn't offer adjustable suspension, When I checked Honda's website it didn't say the deluxe was any more adjustable than the standard. Dealer didn't have any DLX so I went with the STD model. I didn't mind because I never meant for it to be my only bike, it was an around the town bike and play on the backroads. Since I have a truck never intended for those long rides to GA on it either, I was just going to load it up and drive haul it where I was gonna play. It was only after I started doing my research that I found out the DLX indeed has fully adjustable suspension which would be winner winner chicken dinner but the Honda site says both only have front preload adjustability. So it's very wrong.

LIve and learn. I've been tinkering with the suspension and have found a good compromise between handling and comfort and the bike rides just fantastic. It's as smooth as the VFR and handles better with a more upright seating position. I've already order sliders, a Puig windscreen and tidy tail for it. Corbin makes a 1pc seat I'll be ordering and probably a Yosh exhaust for it then ride the wheels off it. I'm gonna haul it up to GA in July and play around up there a bit, should be loads of fun. I'm doing an SRT track day at Road Atlanta for perfect excuse to haul the bike up with me. I'm getting to old to be riding sport bikes 2000 miles in a weekend lol, that's why I have the GoldWing!

Thanks for the full disclosure of your ordeal, you know, I bet that 10 or 20 mile disclosure clause would work with any bike purchase, especially if they haven't sent off the registration paperwork or loan paperwork off.

Im pretty shocked the suspension was that bad, considering the few videos of the bike in action are out there never mentioning this drawback. I guess they are all on the Deluxe model.

So the CBR1000R is dreamy in comparison, interesting, I noted BMW and KTM have a similar model. I recall many years ago I sat on a Ducati 1100, the combo of sport bike high rearward pegs, and up right dirt handle bars, had my body and nuts to much in a crunch, I got to have it one way or the other.

Archived