"new" Old Tires Found In Garage...

JZH

• Member Contributer

I've moved house so many times in the last several years, it wasn't all that surprising that I "found" a set of VFR Bridgestones in my garage during a clean-out. Never mounted, still have the stickers on the tread...and with a 2007 date code. Seven year old tyres. Hmmm. eBay?!? :wacko:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

spoon on the rear and buuuuuuuuuuuurrrnn out till she pops.... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Unless they were sitting *someplace that the rubber compound would be chemically affected, you should be fine for normal use. Seven years isn't a huge deal according to the motorcycle tire experts (not me).

If you were going to get really into aggressive sport riding, well I wouldn't run Bridgestones anyways! :ohmy:

*(near Refrigerators, out in the sunlight, etc.)

• Member Contributer

^^^I would put the S20 from Bridgestone against any current tire and I frequently make offerings to sweet baby Bibendum...Dear 8 lb 5 ounce Baby Bibendum (and thank him for my smoking hot wife) :wink:

that being said these are not Bridgestone S20's.

I can search the tire page from Total Control for a recommended sell by date for tires as it varies from Sport to Sport Touring to cruiser to Harley if you really want to know but unless tires have been inside a black garbage bag in a climate controlled storage area then the rubber will be drier and harder with less grip and a shorter life than even the same tire manufactured in the past 18-20 months.

I would still use them on a commuter bike if they fit or pop them online for a half priced sale.

• Member Contributer

You can always offer them up "gratis" and let the taker know that they are old and that they should be aware and acknowledge the age and of the potential dangers of old tires before they take them. Sometimes college students need new tires for their commuter and just don't have the funds for new rubber. That being said, if the rubber is hard and they don't feel safe, go with Dutchy's idea.

• Member Contributer

Tire killers is ozone that is produced near electric motors. If there are none in your garage, like a furnace blower, you should be ok.

I've moved house so many times in the last several years, it wasn't all that surprising that I "found" a set of VFR Bridgestones in my garage during a clean-out. Never mounted, still have the stickers on the tread...and with a 2007 date code. Seven year old tyres. Hmmm. eBay?!? :wacko:

Ciao,

Your a Hoarder, like those with 25 pair of gloves, they buy and will wear some day, but never do. >G

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

Your a Hoarder, like those with 25 pair of gloves, they buy and will wear some day, but never do. >G

This comment is equally true and beside the point!

I don't see much of a consensus of opinion so far--from "should be okay" (no electric motors in the storage area) to "give them away" (always an option, I suppose). The tires don't appear to be hard, and are very unlikely to see a track day, so I'm thinking I may just put them on my spare set of rims (hoarder, moi?) and use them for the work run...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

They cannot be less grippy then the tires on the mc I rented in Nepal....

Check out the non-DOT helmet I bought at a local market!!!

Scannen0009.jpg

For the eBay comment...

A local guy here with little funds saw a good deal on a tire from an Ebay seller.

He got a bad tire with great tread.

Karma will bite the eBay seller. I personally hope the guy walks away unharmed from a crash with a completely totaled bike.

It is just not fair to take advantage of another person trust selling faulty crap on eBay.

I made it right and sure this guy will never go anywhere else for tires...

But all info needs to be disclosed when someone's safety is at hand.

If you do sell something like this, be sure to list the date code and let the buyer make the choice.

• Member Contributer

I would include the date code, but I'd have no way of knowing if the tire was defective when I purchased it... :unsure:

Ciao,

I just mounted a 6 yr old Avon Storm rear on my bike Easter Sunday. A few years ago I pulled it off before a touring vacation when I wanted to start with new tires, it has a lot of tread left and has been stored in a shed out back.

I have a new set of Conti Attacks in the garage but I'm saving them for summer vacation, the one on the bike was down to the wear bars so I said WTF, threw on the Avon and took it for a 300 mile spin. Lots of twisties, a little rain, a little warp speed. The thing handled and performed great, go for it says I. :wheel:

Archived