2014 Vfr 800 Review

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2. Does anyone know what this component is?

22913_VFR800F_zps0652633c.jpg

That looks like the exhaust midpipe going out the other side of the bike to me.

It is the Canooder valve. It should always be changed when you change the head lamp fluid and rotate the floor mats.

The magazine review was very positive over all but very much along the lines of...don't think of this as missile but more reimagining of the vfr750. Interestingly the frame and swingarm seems to have a silver powdercoat on it as it's textured not smooth metal like in the release pics.

• Member Contributer

Some way to break a motor in!!!

:wacko::wacko: :wacko:

All modern engines are broken in at the factory prior to being installed in the chassis, once coupled with the rest of the motorbike they are revved to red line and warmed to ensure that there are no leaks, missed wiring connectors, or other issues.

The only reason that the owners manual still states to break them in gently is because the litigators think it best not "suggest" that a new rider can or should jump on a brand new bike and ride it to it's fullest performance. It is more you getting used to the machinery than it getting broken in.

Modern engine materials probably perform better if "broken in" in this manner.

• Member Contributer

A good friend of mine and an Advanced Rider has today, amongst other Honda models, test ridden the new VFR:

Warning - do not test ride the VFR800, it could be seriously hazardous to your bank balance.

Quick review following a 20 minute ride:

Riding position is as near as dammit to my old VFR800Fi, but the whole thing feels a lot more compact, and light. It is easy to ride, as you would expect. Every criticism levelled at the VTEC has been dealt with on this engine - there are no holes, glitches or power surges anywhere in the rev. range - I made a serious attempt at finding them - just a superb flow of power building from the midrange. I'd say that it is better than the Fi. The engine noise and exhaust note are spot on VFR! Someone else took a pillion who sang its praises as a comfortable place to be - she usually rides pillion on a Blackbird, so that's the baseline against which she's making her comparison.

I didn't notice the gearbox action, so I guess that's all fine. One criticism is that they'd swapped the positions of the indicator switch and the horn button - most irritating until you've become accustomed to it.

• Member Contributer

Spoke with my local Honda dealer and he has a new model ready for test rides.

Unfortunately, the weather over here is awful for the next few days so I'm going to wait until next week.

Well some bugger beat me to the starting line... we now officially have the first new owner of the Brand new version, the VFR800F here in Spain (Valladolid).

And I haven't even test ridden it yet. I didn't think any dealer had them available for sale yet, let alone for test riding.

Here are some photographs:

eputa9av.jpg
apaqyja8.jpg
jyra2yva.jpg
ybedete4.jpg
qypaqume.jpg
mehutu2a.jpg

abe2edaz.jpg
8e6a6ugy.jpg
qetynedy.jpg
dedujuqe.jpg

Lucky fugger!!

BTW he has mentioned a couple of things:

1: It sounds aweful.

2. The muff is fugly

3. It flicks really well from one side to the other

4. He hasn't gone fast enough to really test the brakes or the VTEC transition yet.

• Member Contributer

......4. He hasn't gone fast enough to really test the brakes or the VTEC transition yet.

Eh? I can do that on my driveway.

Tell him to pull his finger out and get shifting!

Oh, and tell him he's a lucky bugger! I'm not envious at all, nope, not me.

• Member Contributer

My local dealer called to tell me that they had the bike now, and would call me next week regarding a test ride for next weekend... I wonder if they'll mind me taking apart the headlamp for a little "look see"?

Ciao,

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Damn it, Honda. Just when I'd resolved to ride the wheels off my bought-new in 2006 '06....they issue this thing. I wouldn't buy the first year model, but and updated 800cc V4 is what I've been awaiting all these years.

Even my old man asked "when are you going to get a new bike?"

Archived