2014 Vfr 800 Review

Obviously the 800 didn't die, so I think the whole gen series has been thrown off. the 1200 should be its own gen series, starting from #1, cause its not turned out to be a replacement for the 800.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Awesome find Monkeyboy

Good to see that the journos can be total squids too. I like the foot dragging at :31 and the solid line pass at 1:08.

The new VFR is growing on me, especially the fairing, wheels and instruments. Yes, too bad it doesnt have USD and 1000 cc but overall it looks like a nice update from the 6th gen. When I get to the point that I want something new in 5 years maybe there will be some good deals on them like I got on my '07 RWB.

Until then I am just glad Honda kept the bike in the lineup and brought the bike back to the states. Now that Triumph killed off the Sprint series it really doesnt have much competition- the Kaw Z1000 and BMW 800, and rumors of Yamaha making the "FJ 09" which should be cool if it really happens.

That video was definitely filmed in southern Spain judging by the lunar landscape and the road signs. In fact I'm convinced it's one of my favorite routes. It's oh so familiar to me.

I'm keen on this bike despite the detractors. I reckon it's quite a lot better than my current 6.5 gen. Shame it won't be available for the upcoming Honda Days here in Spain.

• Member Contributer

I think Honda hit the mark with this version, one sexy bike... :beer: the black ones of course...lol

Indeedy!

24353_2014_VFR800F_large.jpg?v=138599612

vfr800-2014-black.png

• Member Contributer

I am having a white one subject to trade in and test drive.

We want a full report!!!! :cheerleader:

I am having a white one subject to trade in and test drive.

We want a full report!!!! :cheerleader:

I think this be a while before dealers got them still. I heard nothing about test drives as yet and I really hope luggage and liners available same time as I don't want to trade a touring bike with luggage for one with the promise of luggage at the end of the summer.

• Member Contributer

Can someone with photoshop rub that fugly exhaust out of an otherwise beautiful bike

:1: Can someone remind me ... what's the leading theory as to why they abandoned the undertail exhaust? Emissions, cost, both?

• Member Contributer

Can someone with photoshop rub that fugly exhaust out of an otherwise beautiful bike

:1: Can someone remind me ... what's the leading theory as to why they abandoned the undertail exhaust? Emissions, cost, both?

Also, weight. Single vs dual canisters, and low mount is shorter (aka lighter) piping to the can. Can't say exactly why, but It might make hard luggage mounting a bit sleeker, too.

• Member Contributer

Weight and cost simply...they claim to have shaved 5 kg from the exhaust...one of the undertail cans and a short length of pipe...

• Member Contributer

Weight and cost simply...they claim to have shaved 5 kg from the exhaust...one of the undertail cans and a short length of pipe...

I wonder how similar the headers and subframe of the 8th Gen will be to the 6th Gen? The exhaust is the only styling change that seems like a backward step to me. I wonder if some of the 6th Gen aftermarket exhausts could be made to work.

• Member Contributer

I wonder how similar the headers and subframe of the 8th Gen will be to the 6th Gen? The exhaust is the only styling change that seems like a backward step to me. I wonder if some of the 6th Gen aftermarket exhausts could be made to work.

Will know shorty !!!

• Member Contributer

Review in today's MCN. It's not legal for me to scan it in and post it here but the App is available on Android & IOS or you can subscribe and read it yourself on the website.

I'll be buying a copy on my way home tonight.

• Member Contributer

The dual side pipes on the 93 bike thread has got me thinking hmmmm...........

Just read £1.99 mcn on phone. The video not up yet but is return to form and there is some nice stats comparing weight/hp/torque/price with zx1000 and f800gt. Doesn't look great when you see it lined up like that but main thing for me engine transition not noticeable anymore and linked brakes gone. I can see this coming in at £11.5k with luggage which is really asking a lot.

• Member Contributer

Just read £1.99 mcn on phone. The video not up yet but is return to form and there is some nice stats comparing weight/hp/torque/price with zx1000 and f800gt. Doesn't look great when you see it lined up like that but main thing for me engine transition not noticeable anymore and linked brakes gone. I can see this coming in at £11.5k with luggage which is really asking a lot.

£10,599 base price so 2nd-hand 1200s for less and with added luggage etc it does seem quite expensive.

It may be worth it though.....only a test ride will confirm (booked!!!)

£10,599 base price so 2nd-hand 1200s for less and with added luggage etc it does seem quite expensive.

It may be worth it though.....only a test ride will confirm (booked!!!)

I am in the Q for my local dealer. I hate waiting. I really hope this the sports tourer I have been looking for. Tank range on the vfr1200 to close to my blade really.

Archived