Samco Hose Kits For The 5Th Gen Vfr800

sa1713

• Member Contributer

At least for the 4th gen, OEM hoses are not available anymore. Didn't check for the 5th gen. I ordered a set for my project 96, and a spare set in case one of the other two 4th gens have hose issues, or a future project rolls along.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

FYi you guys, please note that the top fitting on the curved hose that goes around the generator, is undersized, so standard 25mm hose will not fit correctly. Please ensure you measure it accurately, as its not apparent from the removed hose ! Otherwise you will end up with a leaking joint. I had to use a layer of heat shrink to make a 25mm hose fit there.

• Member Contributer

I think everyone should be aware that the installation of Samco or any type of coolant hose will not necessarily make the engine run cooler. As with most owners of Gen.5 VFR800s, they are all getting up there in age. My 98 was bought new in April of 1999 and I've never changed the coolant. it's also important to make sure the radiators and engine passages are also free of deposits. I've not had a problem with overheating although I have seen the temp. gage go over 210 in slow traffic and hot weather.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone out there who's flushed the cooling system and if any cleaning products were used. I've used vinegar to clean lime scale from plumbing fixtures and rust from metal items. Just wondering what some of you scientists out there think. I've also thought of using the the water from a dehumidifier as the mixer. Any thoughts?

• Member Contributer

If you can wait a month I would be in - assuming bucks are around $160. (Red)

The 3/4th gen kit is around $160.

If the 5th gen kit is priced close to the 6th gen kit (most likely will be), $420 normal price.

• Member Contributer

You never changed the coolant in 15 years ! well don't let it get anywhere near a freeze or it will likely freeze !

• Member Contributer

If the 5th gen kit is priced close to the 6th gen kit (most likely will be), $420 normal price.

Ouch. I'll stick with OEM.

• Member Contributer

At $420, I'm out.

• Member Contributer

The 5/6th gen have a lot more hoses. But it looks like you can still get the OEMs, and they are pretty cheap. Not even $20 for the main two hoses.

• Member Contributer

Can we get a firm price on the kits? My decision may not change but sure would like to know how much $ we're talking about.

• Member Contributer

The thing about silicone hoses is they will outlast the bike. With the location of the thermostat housing on the 5th gen it's worth it to me to not worry about 15-year-old hoses deep under the throttle bodies blowing out on a trip.

Coolant is another issue entirely. I've seen my temps as high as 245℉. Coolant is changed yearly in my girl. I've seen supposed "lifetime" coolant turn to ugly gunk in a few years. A little Water Wetter doesn't hurt either.

• Member Contributer

Hi All, Racebikebitz will not be able to give a price for the 5th Gen kits until they have a full set of hoses which are being/have been sent to Richard as templates then they work out a price from them. So just like we had to with the 4th Gen kits be patient. Samco are only to glad/able to be doing these deals with us all for older road bikes as most years they would be tied up with developing the latest supersport or superbike kits but correct me if Iam wrong but there hasn't been any major updated bikes for the incoming year.

BigB.

• Member Contributer

If you check out one of my upgrade posts there is a complete list of all hoses required to replace everything bar the expansion bottle hose with readily available (& thus cheap) silicone hoses ! As previous post state, if OEM is still available & has lasted 10+ years! replacements will likely last that long. Or you can do my silicone list for less than OEM ones ! Your choice.

I also replaced the top hose between rads with an alloy pipe & most of the one from the thermostat to the fill cap with another alloy pipe, greatly increases cooling ! My bike runs an average 5c cooler since adding those, nothing else done.

• Member Contributer

If you check out one of my upgrade posts there is a complete list of all hoses required to replace everything bar the expansion bottle hose with readily available (& thus cheap) silicone hoses ! As previous post state, if OEM is still available & has lasted 10+ years! replacements will likely last that long. Or you can do my silicone list for less than OEM ones ! Your choice.

I also replaced the top hose between rads with an alloy pipe & most of the one from the thermostat to the fill cap with another alloy pipe, greatly increases cooling ! My bike runs an average 5c cooler since adding those, nothing else done.

How about a link to said post. I took a glance and didn't see anything as far as specific hoses.

• Member Contributer

it would appear that the post with the details is to old, as I can't find it !

It still exists on VFRworld, see this link post 24

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/33383-VFR800-5th-Gen-10-Year-Update-Project?highlight=

They now do made to measure alloy hose joiners with hose clamp retainer bumps on the ends.

This link on VFRD, shows the latest fit with alloy pipes included, made to measure as described above.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/73790-a-few-more-mods-its-winter-what-else-is-there-to-do/

Have fun

Changing coolant yearly is only rivaled by changing the oil bi monthly. That's money down the tubes. I was very interested in this but the cost seems too much! Probably find some nice hoses on a salvaged vfr for cheap.

• Member Contributer

it would appear that the post with the details is to old, as I can't find it !

It still exists on VFRworld, see this link post 24

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/33383-VFR800-5th-Gen-10-Year-Update-Project?highlight=

They now do made to measure alloy hose joiners with hose clamp retainer bumps on the ends.

This link on VFRD, shows the latest fit with alloy pipes included, made to measure as described above.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/73790-a-few-more-mods-its-winter-what-else-is-there-to-do/

Have fun

Mohawk, once again thanks for the info... do you have additional info on the alloy pipes you used to replace a couple of the hoses?

• Member Contributer

Sorry, can't remember the lengths exactly, I think it was 250mm between the rads & 200mm on the right side. There's a pic of the right side one in that second thread, could have been a bit longer. The one between rads is the same, two short pieces of silicone hose, each held on by 2 x hoses clamps.

Oh just remembered, you can add the alloy pipes without draining the system. Put bike on side stand & use a hose or syringe to empty the rad cap area. Release top of right hose & lower into a container to catch coolant. Cut hose with tin snips & insert alloy hose & reassemble.

Now put bike on main stand & the hose between rads will be dry as the coolant back fills the volume removed from the right hose. Replace hose between rads with alloy one, tighten clamps & put the saved coolant back in the rad cap. Job done.

• Member Contributer

cost is high. This guy at VFRWorld seems to have got it all done under 100 GBP ...interested if the pricing drops

• Member Contributer

cost is high. This guy at VFRWorld seems to have got it all done under 100 GBP ...interested if the pricing drops

How much time did he spend researching, and sourcing? I'm willing to pay a little more for a complete kit that goes on without issues.

• Member Contributer

How much time did he spend researching, and sourcing? I'm willing to pay a little more for a complete kit that goes on without issues.

True...but the research is done by someone else. I check the site, all the items are available there.

thanks Anik

• Member Contributer

True...but the research is done by someone else. I check the site, all the items are available there.

thanks Anik

Did you send him a tip for all his time & effort?

• Member Contributer

thanks Anik

Did you send him a tip for all his time & effort?

Oh yeah right ! Checks in the mail :)

thanks Anik

Archived