Vfrjim2002 Went Down Today

WeazyBuddha

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys. Notice the cool left glove tribute to MJ.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm back to the ortho and neurologist this week. I'll keep you posted. Many thanks to WeazyBuddha for the flaffing opportunity.

You guys stay safe, y'all hear?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well thats great news that you are on the mend Jim and still here to talk to us.

Mobile phone use whilst driving is totally banned down here, with some hefty fines now coming into force, but it still doesn't stop people doing it. Last Monday a woman in a 4WD tried to merge into me while blabbing on her phone, then looked all indignant when I blared my horned at her and made several gestures...

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about more surgery. Makes recovery that much longer. Still, glad you're walking around.

• Member Contributer

Sometimes you have to bring the ole girl(or guy) back into the shop for a little tweaking,gotta get it right.See ya back here when your feeling better.

Ive been toying with the idea that gloves,even the best in the business,don't give our wrists bones any protection.Seen this many times.Why wouldn't it be possible to have an airbag system intergrated into them?

• Member Contributer

Well, got it done. The doc said it was a bit more involved than he thought it would be, making the aftermath more painful, but this should be it.

The question of wrist protection is an interesting one. There are passive systems like the skate folks use. Something like that would help in some cases where you reach out to break a fall. But it wouldn't do much in situations like mine.

at any rate, thanks for all the positive thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi Folks,

Just a quick update. The second procedure on my left wrist left me with a 4" incision and a new pin. Went back to the ortho on 2/14 and things seem be lined up well so that's, hopefully, the end of the surgery. The right side wasn't as badly broken and there's a good chance the hardware will come off it in about 10 days. Looking forward to that.

• Member Contributer

Great news but in case you don't know. the therapy is were all the pain comes in ...

Another word of advice try not use pain pills .

Thanks. Sadly, this ain't my first rodeo. Some years ago SNL did a skit making fun of Sean Connery after he'd been accused of assaulting a woman. The character was playing celebrity jeopardy and one of the categories was "Therapists." His choice was "The Rapist for $200, Alex." Some of the therapists I 've been to may well have gone to school with the Marquis de Sade. :) I could not agree more on the pain pill advice. The docs will happily load you up with that stuff, but not mention the part where the piper has to be paid. He is NOT a pleasant fellow.

• Member Contributer

Hey Jim, here's hoping for a complete recovery.

A little advice from someone who broke both wrists (along with both forearms); when doing your physical therapy, get some microwavable hot packs. I found mine at Walmart. Warm up your wrists with these in preperation for and during your p.t. This does a lot to reduce the p.t. pain. Naproxen sodium (NSASID) did wonders to reduce my daily pain. W/O the side affects of narcotics.

My biggest incentive to keep on the p.t. was seeking my doc's permission to resume riding my mc.

How to you feel about getting back in the saddle?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Got the pins and fixtures off the right arm/hand on Friday. The wrist has some range of motion but not much and it's weaker than a newborn kitten. Start PT next week. Miles to go before I sleep, but it feels good to be starting the trip.

That's good news.

I had pins in my right hand for a while when I fractured my thumb(went over the handlebars). Freaked me out when I found out how long they were!

• Member Contributer

Sounds like great news. PT can be tough and it's boring, but pays you back 10 fold for every minute you spend doing it.

• Member Contributer

I know what you mean Seb. I had a choice of waiting until Monday and checking into the hospital to get them removed or doing in the drs office. I opted for the drs office. those suckers ARE long. Wasn't that uncomfortable, but about 3 minutes after the last pin came out I felt light headed and a couple of seconds later - lights out. Wierd.

Maxwell, I picked up a couple of heat packs. Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't pass out, but it was an eye opener for sure. They didn't have the correct pliers for removal(also drs office), so instead of pulling straight out, there was a bit of sideways motion. Made me shiver a little but it was very relieving to have them out!

Sorry to hear about your accident mate hope you make a full & speedy recovery , I'm from the uk but now live in San Diego , I'm amazed at how many people use there cell phones while driving , the problem is much worse in California than in the uk ( I can't comment on the rest of the states ) , they should throw here arse in jail & take here license , the number of people who I see in so cal driving & using cell phones including texting in beyond belief , in the uk using your cell phone while driving is not socially acceptable , if the police catch you they come down hard , rant over

• Member Contributer

Glad you're on the mend.

I feel your pain. I had a pin through each finger and a few skewered through them sideways to keep them from moving while they tried to mend.(log splitter...don't ask) The pinky was the last to heal so I spent time with just that one in. Unfortunately it got slightly bent. When they started twisting with the ViceGrips, it took 2 nurses to hold my arm down

I thought I was done riding but after 5 operations and a year of therapy, I was able to pull the clutch in. At first it looked impossible so a buddy and I prototyped a leverless clutch system. Picture a kind of twist throttle on the left bar, to activate the plunger in the master cylinder. I was lucky to rehab enough to not need it but the prototype was actually kind of cool once you got use to it. You rotated it back to disengage the clutch, then to pull away, just let it rotate forward as you rotated the throttle back, kind of an opposite twist. Seems like it would be great for dirt bikes, you never let go of your grip even while operating the clutch.

Xrayhandpins_zpsdbe2ff7e.jpg

Archived