Led Headlight Install - 5Th Gen

zoomzoom

• Member Contributer

Went for a trip to the movies last night with a couple of friends and this marks the first time that I have actually RIDDEN the bike with the new lights installed (thank The Lord, winter has finally ended in the Okanagan and the street sweepers are now clearing the roads) at least for a longer period in the dark than my earlier report. Went up to a friends house who lived up one of BC's most infamous stretches of road known as Westside Road, and I was very impressed with the overall light output. Though I might hesitate to say the lights are brighter (that would require a lux meter and THAT I do not have yet) the beam spread seems much improved especially to the sides of the road, and the whiter light cast by the LED's makes everything illuminated by the headlights easier to see. I think the whiter light provides far better contrast between objects.

Overall I am very impressed with the LED's and I will have to keep an eye on the bulbs and see how well they last. One of the members here and on VFRW (vfrcapn) has apparently experienced some issues with the LED light kit that he installed with a bulb, fan and LED power supply. Hopefully the issues experienced by vfrcapn will be a limited event and that all will be well with his install soon. After reading vfrcapn's post I went out to check the connections on my bike and noticed the connector that plugs into the bikes headlight harness seemed a bit loose. I used a pair of small needle nose pliers to squish the spade connectors inside the factory connector a bit and they now fit much tighter. Perhaps a loose connection in there might have caused some of issues that vfrcapn experienced.

I too too will keep everyone apprised of how the LED's function over the upcoming season. Nice pics of the lights on your bike Mohawk. Keep us apprised on how they work for you.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

From my VFRW post. I don't believe it was the connectors but can't say for sure. I'd think the power unit went out and fried the LED chips if I had to guess. They sent a complete 2 bulb install kit just to replace the original bad fan.

An update, I hadn't returned the warranty kit (sent only for the bad fan) back to the seller from late February, just got tied up with work and stuff. About 2 weeks ago I noticed one of the (original) bulbs had died. It was flickering for a day or two before finally going dark. I tried replacing just the bulb from the warranty kit but it didn't work. Then I tried a replacement transformer from the kit with the original bulb and got just a faint glow from the bulb. I put a new transformer and new bulb in and everything has been ok so far. The warranty kit power unit is definitely a different model than the original. Either way, not happy that the unit only lasted a few months and that the power module took out the bulb or the bulb killed the power module. This is strike 2 after the bad fan, if something fails again I'm going to send it all back for a refund. I hope it lasts, I'm tired of taking the fairing off.

Backstory:

I mentioned earlier in the thread one of the fans in the kit I bought from zoomzoom's eBay seller was bad from the start. Very noisy, probably bad bearings. I finally emailed them this Tuesday about the issue, 2 months after I bought them. They replied they don't have spare parts and can't send only the fan but they would send a complete, full new kit, asked that I take what I need to repair/fix my install and return the rest with the bad parts. All they asked is that I pay return shipping. I emailed them late Tuesday evening and today, Friday, the new kit was delivered.

• Member Contributer

From my VFRW post. I don't believe it was the connectors but can't say for sure. I'd think the power unit went out and fried the LED chips if I had to guess. They sent a complete 2 bulb install kit just to replace the original bad fan.

An update, I hadn't returned the warranty kit (sent only for the bad fan) back to the seller from late February, just got tied up with work and stuff. About 2 weeks ago I noticed one of the (original) bulbs had died. It was flickering for a day or two before finally going dark. I tried replacing just the bulb from the warranty kit but it didn't work. Then I tried a replacement transformer from the kit with the original bulb and got just a faint glow from the bulb. I put a new transformer and new bulb in and everything has been ok so far. The warranty kit power unit is definitely a different model than the original. Either way, not happy that the unit only lasted a few months and that the power module took out the bulb or the bulb killed the power module. This is strike 2 after the bad fan, if something fails again I'm going to send it all back for a refund. I hope it lasts, I'm tired of taking the fairing off.

Backstory:

I mentioned earlier in the thread one of the fans in the kit I bought from zoomzoom's eBay seller was bad from the start. Very noisy, probably bad bearings. I finally emailed them this Tuesday about the issue, 2 months after I bought them. They replied they don't have spare parts and can't send only the fan but they would send a complete, full new kit, asked that I take what I need to repair/fix my install and return the rest with the bad parts. All they asked is that I pay return shipping. I emailed them late Tuesday evening and today, Friday, the new kit was delivered.

Hey Cap'n

Hopefully your lighting remains trouble free from here on out. Talk about a bunch of issues. That would drive me nearly mental if I had to keep removing the upper cowl again and again to replace parts. I thought it was bad enough when I had to remove the upper cowl and headlight assembly a few times during my original install to correct my clearance issue with the power supplies. Not to mention trying to screw the darned fans on to the bulb base after installing the rubber headlight seal.

May the future time you have to spend riding FAR outweigh the amount of time spent fixing issues. :-)

• Member Contributer

I'm going to convert mine with these, 35W Cree H4 bulbs.

41OZTzLWpGL._SY300_.jpg

About 80 USD and sold by Amazon in the UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JB51D6K/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

This is sold as a 70W kit, but the lights are 35W a piece, so should be even more bright.

• Member Contributer

Sold by Wei Liu Mie any feedback on the seller ?

Can't say yet, but I'm expecting this week.

It's an Amazon reseller, I never had problems with Amazon resellers before.

But I keep you posted.

• Member Contributer

Forgot I'd taken a pick of the modified bulb !

Factory on the left in first pic, my mod on the right.
7okk.jpg

6zrx.jpg

pcfp.jpg

• Member Contributer

When I first started the lights were at max output as best I can tell with the battery at 12.2 VDC and they were still just as bright when I shut the ignition off 35 minutes later. The fans were running the whole time but even at that, there was not a lot of heat being produced. From what I have read about LED's they will produce continuous light output right up until the time the voltage drops below their designed level and then they go out. The actual battery was still at a voltage of above 12 V at the end of the test as when I turned the ignition key off again the voltage went back up to 12.33 volts and after resting it went up a bit higher, so I'm not sure if the actual voltage of the battery dropped below the threshold level of the LED's.

I'm sorry but your measurement is wrong. You should have measured amps instead of voltage.

As voltage doesn't say anything about the unloading of the battery.

Because as soon as the load is away the battery will show around 12V again but has no current left.

The only thing your voltage testing did show was that your battery didn't die during the test, else the battery would have go way below 11v.

Also, you could have simply calculated the life-time of the battery on LED's, as they use both 25W, that means, 2x25W => 50W / 12V = 4.1A => means the battery should have lasted about 2 hours.

As the normal bulbs are 45/55W each, we take the middle = 50W x2 => 100W / 12V = 8.3A => it would have drained the battery in 1 hour.

Only thing you needed to do is measure the amps taken from the battery to confirm this.

• Member Contributer

so do these have cooling fans. Most of the LED h4 i have seen - have cooling fans but not waterproof. Our holders are pretty exposed, so was wondering if others have faced any issues with it

• Member Contributer

In fresh or salt water you do NOT need to water proof DC electrics. They will work quiet happily under water. You will lose so power through the water, more so in salt water.

Regarding the power draw, the standard UK fitting is H4 Halogen 55/60w bulbs, these measure 4.2amp on low 4.5amp on high. The LED bulbs draw 2.1amp with both LED on. That means you save the load of one H4 bulb when running 2x LED's with all 4 elements lit.

• Member Contributer

Forgot I'd taken a pick of the modified bulb !

Factory on the left in first pic, my mod on the right.

Hi Mohawk, I don't know if I missed it earlier in the thread but could you explain the what/why of your bulb mod? Were you correcting for the depth and rotation alignment of the LED light source? Thanks...

• Member Contributer

hi rush2112, the pic shows how I removed the H4 fitting plate & moved it from the front of the mounting flange to the rear thus moving the light source centre further forward by about 3.5mm, this is enough to make the light work as intended. I have sent my findings back to the factory via the ebay seller I bought them from. So we will see if they agree with me & you start seeing them advertised looking like the one on the right rather than the one on the left !

Oh and a couple of the bulbs I modified (I have 6) sheared the screws, so once I had proven this mod, I just epoxied the H4 rings back on. Got 2 like that in my car all appears to be working fine for the last couple of months.

• Member Contributer

Well the 35W Cree LED's did arrive after a bit of time, mostly due to customs being terrible slow here.

Anyway, here are the pictures and it's far more bright then Xenon of Halo lamps.

I did have to cut a bit off the rubber protection ring as the fan is a bit bigger and the mounting clip had to be bend a little, but it does fit and works. :cheerleader:

Here are the pictures in random order:

20140416 111918

20140416 111927

20140416 112422

20140416 124154

20140416 133032

20140416 133047

I did test against halo, you see the led is more bright.
And the rest is how I installed it and fully installed.

• Member Contributer

Looking good. How is the light during dusk / dawn. These white lights (5800K to 6000K) have a tendency to not really work well during this time.

• Member Contributer

I had no problems in the twilight, but our roads are mostly market with white lines.

I was able to see everything, in fact more then with the previous halo bulbs.

I must say, that I tested Xenon before and 6000K Xenon is rather blueish, the 7500K Cree-Led is very white, I was surprised at that.

• Member Contributer

I think it's finally time to place my order! Going to wait until tomorrow to get on the next billing cycle, but I'm finally pulling the trigger. :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Only reason I haven't yet was financials. Had some other projects taking up financials. Now it's crunch time to get my bike together for TMac!

Going with Lifetime LED. Go ahead and browse their site. You may find some interesting items in the switches section! :beer:

I think it's finally time to place my order! Going to wait until tomorrow to get on the next billing cycle, but I'm finally pulling the trigger. :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Only reason I haven't yet was financials. Had some other projects taking up financials. Now it's crunch time to get my bike together for TMac!

Going with Lifetime LED. Go ahead and browse their site. You may find some interesting items in the switches section! :beer:

Just checked out their site; these look interesting: http://www.lifetimeledlights.com/H4M-motorcycle-headlight_p_76.html

• Member Contributer

Love the Honey Badger switch!

• Member Contributer

Ordered! (Just lights, no switch)

Guess I'll stick 'em in the VFR. Might try out first in the ST, which I actually ride at night on a regular basis.

• Member Contributer

Let us know the install goes with the Lifetime LED's. I'm not sure of the bulbs come in one piece on the Lifetime sets but if so, that might make the installation a bit more challenging. Would be interesting to hear what your thoughts are on their product, install, and how they work.

I recently got another PM from a second member that has suffered an LED driver failure form the sounds of it. Think they are both from different manufacturers though.

Keep us apprised of your thoughts and how well they work for you. :)

• Member Contributer

Forgot to post these pics of the bulbs in my bike, same place as I tested the car.

Low Beam
r9gx.jpg

High Beam
jz2f.jpg

• Member Contributer

They arrived today, and I took some pics! :cool:

Ultimately, I got them installed in the ST1300 just cause I have it in running order. Plus, the last time I had the VFR out in the dark I realized my low front/high rear bike setup makes seeing the first 4 feet of tarmac in front of me quite clear. Beyond that, however, is a different and slightly disconcerting story. :unsure:

I did test fit them in the VFR headlight first.

Here's the box!

Box, exterior

Boxes in the box:

Box, Interior

Parts, unboxed. I left the foam packaging on one to show:

Parts

Here's one set connected:

Connections

Nice multi-pin, metal screw together connectors:

Close up Connected

Connected:

Close up Connector

Here's the important bit! The "H4" ring is removable! Turns anti-clockwise to unlock, then the unit pulls out from the back. Clip or bend (I bent) the bottom two tabs to fit into the Honda fitting. Top tab locates it, and the spring clip is more than sufficient to keep it in place.

Ring

The rubber boot should be trimmed a tiny bit. Needs a couple notches cut out to clear the mounts where the ring has screws holding it. That relief allows the rubber to seat fully and the unit to lock into place

Boot

With the spring clip locked in place, it sits on top of the plastic bit seen in the other pic above:

Ring in Headlight

Simply use a flat blade screw driver to push it to the side and flush with the ring:

IMG 1424

The red rectangle in the pictures looks to be double sided adhesive. Comes apart in two pieces, one for each driver. The drivers also have small rings on each end. I chose to zip tie them in the ST. May opt for more permanent adhesive mounting once I decide where they will live. If it's the VFR, probably stick them to the outside of the headlight unit.

I didn't bother with the light comparisons or beam pattern pics. I think they are pretty much all similar enough that it didn't matter.

I'm planning to take it out after dark today, and maybe get together with CornerCarver when he gets back home on Sunday to do a side-by-side ST1300 light comparison.

Worth noting on the ST1300:

It's got small 194 style bulbs in the upper corners on each side of the headlight unit. It's a one piece similar in style to the 5th Gen. Maybe in Europe they are parking lights? I don't know. In any case, they now look pretty ugly (sickly yellow) with the sharp LED headlights filling up the lens! Going to have to swap them out for LED at some point if I keep LED headlights in it.

Any questions I haven't covered, let me know. Pretty straightforward, IMO... :cool:

Something else maybe worth noting:

All wording on the packaging is in English, however some of it seemed awkwardly worded. Like it was translated from another language. I couldn't see any "Manufactured In..." anywhere.

• Member Contributer

VERY Nice. I have been debating whether to try a set of the Lifetime LED's for my wife's bike and keep my spare set of LED headlights for use on my bike should it suffer a failure at some point. The Lifetime units do look to be well engineered and from a removal standpoint, it is nice that you can put the retainer piece in place then install the rubber boot, and then insert the bulb. The one thing that was a huge PIA on my original install was screwing the little fans on to the base after installing the rubber boot. It will be interesting to hear about your observations about the quality, and quantity of light produced by the Lifetime bulbs and what their longevity proves to be. Please keep us all posted with your findings.

PS

What are the dimensions of the LED driver units in the Lifetime Kit?? I would be interested to see if there is a difference in overall size of the part compared to the ones I used.

Archived