Led Headlight Install - 5Th Gen

zoomzoom

I don't see three wire (High and Low beam in single unit) in the Cycle Gear link. Am I wrong?

Also, I didn't find the H4 pair I originally bought from Lifetime listed on their site.

The photo shown on the site is of the H7 version. The H4 has the 3 prong plug. It's exactly the same as the Lifetime bulbs. Same chinese supplier too I imagine.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Good luck captain with PayPal , I have had two claims over false purchases , got about 50% refund in both ,

Paypal has a 45 (or 90) day time limit so I'm sol on the $85. eBay seller won't return email or voicemails.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Hmm, looks like you can order right from china if you want to save 50%. Appear to be exact same bulbs and you get a pair for 70 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Eyourlife-Universal-5000K-HEADLIGHT-Conversion/dp/B00KBQWR5Y/

Anybody tried these yet?

• 1 month later...

I'm seeing 80w LEDs available. Pretty sure I installed high wattage headlights into my econobox as a teenager and fried some shit. Is it safe to install 80w LED headlights into the Viffer?

I'm seeing 80w LEDs available. Pretty sure I installed high wattage headlights into my econobox as a teenager and fried some shit. Is it safe to install 80w LED headlights into the Viffer?

Not an issue IF you charging system is SOUND

• Member Contributer

Most often it seems that when listing the wattage on LED headlights they list the wattage in pairs. So that could mean that the LED's you have looked at consume 80W per 2 bulbs or 40 W each. The stock Honda headlights are rated at 45W each. If you use standard H4 automotive bulbs then they are rated 60w/55w for high and low per bulb so a max of 120W draw. If the LED's draw 80W per pair of bulbs then I doubt there would be an issue. If they were 80W per bulb then I might be a little concerned especially with overall brightness and glare. Lifetime LED sells and advertises 70w H4 LED headlights that would work in the VFR and after emailing the company the bulbs are 70W per pair or 35W each.

Personally, I love the extra light and the overall beam pattern that the LED's have provided and would not hesitate to recommend them. The results are fantastic.

Yeah, I noticed that the wattage is for the pairs shortly after posting. Seems odd, but bigger numbers sell more, I suppose. I went with one of the kits originally posted. Tired of having to replace halogens every year.. :P

This is an amazing write up! I think this will be a thing to do when I pull the fairing off to replace the cluster bulbs.

Question, where you can get the retaining rings mentioned in step 4?

• Member Contributer

They aren't actually necessary. I've installed countless H4 bulbs (incandescent and LED) without the rings. Just bend or clip off the bottom two and the spring retainer holds them in place no issues.

The previous owner of my ST1300 tried to get clever and trim them so all three fit into the slots, but all that did was take up his time, and also slightly skew the bulb because it made the top tab not exactly at 12 O'clock.

They aren't actually necessary. I've installed countless H4 bulbs (incandescent and LED) without the rings. Just bend or clip off the bottom two and the spring retainer holds them in place no issues.

The previous owner of my ST1300 tried to get clever and trim them so all three fit into the slots, but all that did was take up his time, and also slightly skew the bulb because it made the top tab not exactly at 12 O'clock.

Awesome, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hmmmm. More expensive and WAY less light than the separate ballast model (which I have and love).

• Member Contributer

Full kit for what? The other link from digitallyhip is just a brighter version at $125 each. The link I put up is a newer version of what I originally bought last year. Looks like they don't require a separate driver box now.

• Member Contributer

It's $150 for the pair vs $125 for your single.

Nice catch! Sorry for the misinformation. But I still prefer brighter.

• Member Contributer

Nice! looks like a direct plug-in replacement.

The only question is whether or not there's room for the heatsink/fan component of the bulb behind the bulb housing.

A quick visual check makes me think you'd run into clearance issues for the brake hoses and wiring.

Full kit for what? The other link from digitallyhip is just a brighter version at $125 each. The link I put up is a newer version of what I originally bought last year. Looks like they don't require a separate driver box now.

The whole assembly. I called them 2 weeks ago and was told the $150 was just replacement bulbs and needed the $250 set up to do a full conversion from H4 to H4 HID. That may have been wrong though as the $250 price tag is what put me off and I just left the working bulbs in for now. It would be great if the $150 kit worked though!

• Member Contributer

Nice! looks like a direct plug-in replacement.

The only question is whether or not there's room for the heatsink/fan component of the bulb behind the bulb housing.

A quick visual check makes me think you'd run into clearance issues for the brake hoses and wiring.

I have a similar type, probably the same dimensions, and it fits fine. I think it's in a much earlier post the size of the housings I installed.

(Page 16)

Hey Razor, I'm still not clear on if we are talking about the same things here. These are just LED headlights, not a full HID.

Archived