Led Headlight Install - 5Th Gen

zoomzoom

Nice! looks like a direct plug-in replacement.

The only question is whether or not there's room for the heatsink/fan component of the bulb behind the bulb housing.

A quick visual check makes me think you'd run into clearance issues for the brake hoses and wiring.

I have a similar type, probably the same dimensions, and it fits fine. I think it's in a much earlier post the size of the housings I installed.

(Page 16)

Hey Razor, I'm still not clear on if we are talking about the same things here. These are just LED headlights, not a full HID.

I may have gotten the new person at Lifetime LED, but I was told the $150 was replacement bulbs for the $250 setup and needed the $250 to do a conversion. I hope that's not right, but just what I was told. I opted not to order and wait. I will have to tear the assembly back apart after TMAC sometime as SuperBrightLED shorted me a single dash light (only got 4) and are sending me the last. If it is the $150 set I will order that and do it then too!

Kev, thank you very much for posting this though!

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, I picked up a pair of headlight modules (the original style of this post), and one of the modules was stuck on high beam. Contacted the seller, and I'm getting a full refund and keeping the parts, so no loss. May take a look in the bad module, but I happen to have an old single-bulb bike that uses an H4. And I think I'll look for some reviews some more before my next purchase..

• Member Contributer

FWIW, I picked up a pair of headlight modules (the original style of this post), and one of the modules was stuck on high beam. Contacted the seller, and I'm getting a full refund and keeping the parts, so no loss. May take a look in the bad module, but I happen to have an old single-bulb bike that uses an H4. And I think I'll look for some reviews some more before my next purchase..

There have been a few members here and on VFRD that have had issues with the style of bulb I installed in my original post. For the most part it seems that the issues have been with the power supplies and cooling fans. I personally have had one issue with a computer fan sticking, then stopping, and causing one of the lights to dim to about 80% power (maybe) but, as soon as the fan comes back on the bulb brightens back up again. I had ordered a second kit a fair while ago when the thread was first started so that I could change out the bulbs on my wife's bike and should I have any further issues I will replace the parts with the other kit until I run out of spare parts. After that my plan would be to change out the bulbs completely and go with the Lifetime Bulbs as the build quality seems a bit higher and (until KevCarver posted the yesterday) seem to have the best reliability.

Not to mention that as far as companies go, Lifetime LED's does offer a lifetime warranty with their kits, and because of the style of the bulb used, they appear to be much easier to install as compared with the ones I used originally which required a few terse words in order to get the rubber boots and fan assemblies to play nice together. LOL

• Member Contributer

Just an FYi mine are still going strong after 18 months & 3500miles.

I have a spare set in the UK if anyone would like to make me an offer. They were used in my car for 12months, still working perfectly as intended, removed when I sold the car. £40 posted.

• Member Contributer

Nice! looks like a direct plug-in replacement.

The only question is whether or not there's room for the heatsink/fan component of the bulb behind the bulb housing.

A quick visual check makes me think you'd run into clearance issues for the brake hoses and wiring.

I have a similar type, probably the same dimensions, and it fits fine. I think it's in a much earlier post the size of the housings I installed.

(Page 16)

Hey Razor, I'm still not clear on if we are talking about the same things here. These are just LED headlights, not a full HID.

I called Lifetime regarding the length question.

The gentlemen said that it is slightly longer.

He didn't have the exact specs handy and didn't have a metric ruler, but his measurement was 2.125 inches for the portion that is outside of the housing.

If exact, that is 54mm; 11mm longer than the previous model.

He also confirmed that unit is completely self-contained. No double-stick tape needed.

Kevin, do you recall how much clearance you have on your set up?

I'll be measuring space later today on mine.

• Member Contributer

Enough space that I can reach in and remove it. It twists and pulls out of the H4 ring, which stays locked in by the spring clip and rubber boot.

• Member Contributer

Further investigation reveals the right side LED low beam is out in any configuration. The harness plug will light up a standard H4. I removed the left and plugged it into the right controller and it works fine. Right into the left box and it won't light low.

Waiting to hear back from them on warranty coverage. I'm hoping I can leave the controller boxes installed so I don't have to take the fairing off to get it off the headlight housing.

On an unrelated LED note, my left turn signal mirror quit on the ride home from TXMac. Might be due to my wiring, though. I only get a little over 11 volts to it. It functions, but at a very-very low light level.

Further investigation reveals the right side LED low beam is out in any configuration. The harness plug will light up a standard H4. I removed the left and plugged it into the right controller and it works fine. Right into the left box and it won't light low.

Waiting to hear back from them on warranty coverage. I'm hoping I can leave the controller boxes installed so I don't have to take the fairing off to get it off the headlight housing.

On an unrelated LED note, my left turn signal mirror quit on the ride home from TXMac. Might be due to my wiring, though. I only get a little over 11 volts to it. It functions, but at a very-very low light level.

Makes you wonder who's "Lifetime" these last. I do hope they come though for you! I am holding off my order to hear how this turns out for you!

• Member Contributer
We found your order. The lights (both drivers and both bulbs) will have to be shipped back for replacement with our new Gen2 headlights.

Good news-bad news... :goofy:

Was hoping I could get one bulb and slip it in there without front end tear down. At least I get to try the new ones.

We found your order. The lights (both drivers and both bulbs) will have to be shipped back for replacement with our new Gen2 headlights.

Good news-bad news... :goofy:

Was hoping I could get one bulb and slip it in there without front end tear down. At least I get to try the new ones.

Here is to hoping for a quick turnaround for you! :beer:

• Member Contributer

Email from Lifetime LED today:

Your replacements are shipping out today.

Not bad, sent them Monday afternoon!

Might put the replacements in the ST since it gets more mileage these days. Might get a better test of longevity.

I bought all my dash and signal LEDs from VLEDS.com and wanted to try out their H4 offerings, but their warranty is 1 year. My Lifetime LEDs lasted 13 months...

Never had any trouble with the other smaller LEDs. (knock on wood)

• Member Contributer

OK, LEDs arrived today!

I'm a bit unsure on how to rate them without riding or having someone compare while I'm riding. Yet.

Here they are:

New LED Front

New LED Rear

Ring Off

Ring Width

Close LEDs

You can see how the H4 ring still is removable. Doesn't twist and pull to remove, but now has a ball bearing detent. It's plastic now, and much thicker. You can't bend the tabs and be able to bend back if you return for warrantee. Not sure that was necessary, but I did re-bend the tabs back to stock before I returned the old ones. I took a knife and scored along the line I wanted them to be removed and snapped them off with pliers. No idea if that was required, but I did it and it worked. Didn't want them to crack or fracture beyond the area that needed to be removed to fit H4 into the Honda.

Stick the rings into the housing and fit the spring clamps onto them. Then slip the rubber dust covers onto them. LED units then push into the rings. The detent isn't real easy to feel, so be sure to look in to see they are level.

Also, note that the new ones have three LEDs on the top and nothing on the bottom. The idea with the originals (and incandescents) is that the low beams are on top to hit the top of the reflector and shoot out straight and down. Then the highs are on the bottom to hit the bottom reflector and shoot out higher, as well as being brighter. At least that's my understanding of reflector housings.

Here in the headlight housing:

Installed

Installed Top

With the assembly fitted to the bike (Not real easy to see, but for sure plenty of room!):

On Bike

So with one in on rider's right you can see the color difference. Low and high in the second pic.

LED Right

LED Right High

I moved my car out to find some clear wall.

Led Right Wall

LED Right Wall High

With both LEDs installed:

Dual LED Wall

Highs

Dual LED Wall High

Looking at the front:

Dual LED

High:

Dual LED High

• Member Contributer

I took the opportunity of having the front off to try some new LEDs in the gauge housing. They haven't arrived yet, so I'm holding off complete reassembly and ride test until then.

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Warrantee return was pain free. I contacted them via email and they provided me with a return #. If I had the original order number on hand that would have helped, but I had the proper details of my name, address, how I paid, and when to allow them to find my original order. I had to pay return shipping, of course, and the turn around time was a complete week. Sent Monday, new ones arrived the following Monday.

• Member Contributer

I stuck them in the ST, but not with high hopes. I think the venting is too blocked by the dust cover on the headlight housing. Pretty sure it intakes through the long ovals on the base and pushes forward. Into the dust cover. I trimmed it so that it would push as far forward as possible.

Also still not thrilled that the LEDs are only on top.

• Member Contributer

I will be interested to hear your ride review KevCarver. Also glad to hear that your warranty return was relatively quick and painless.

• Member Contributer

What's the difference between high and low? One LED illuminated vs three? All on the same side of the unit...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

All three at all times, but brighter on high. I think. You can't really look at the thing when it's on... :cool:

Edit:
Two on low beams, and the third comes on with highs. That's how it does change the shape of the beam, but unfortunately not a lot of brightness.

• Member Contributer

Ok, I couldn't sleep, so I went out very early morning for a ride to test the headlights. Not overly impressed, I must say. They seem fine on low beam. Good pattern and brightness, but not at all an "upgrade" imo. I like the color, and they free up a bunch of power for heated gear in the winter, but I'm not sure the new units provide enough space inside the factory Honda dust covers to adequately cool themselves. Not sure why my original ones died (just one low beam, actually). Could have been overheating, could have been super bumpy-ass Wayah road.

High beams are pretty unimpressive. There is a slightly higher pattern, and the brightness increases, but not by much. They really miss the lower light source to bounce off the lower reflectors. Again, I have them installed in the ST1300 for testing. The ST stock headlight is one of the best, especially on high! Never been on a 6th Gen that has all 4 lit on high, but I bet it compares well.

With regards to power draw, I pulled into the garage turned off the bike, and plugged in the Battery Tender Jr. Then I remembered I wanted to look at the lights with shades on to see what was lit, so I turned it on and went to grab my shades. Only took a few seconds and I was able to look at them (also had the built in shade visor down on m helmet), then try high beams. By this time the BT Jr. was already flashing green.

Overall, I'd say that the earlier design was better. I got some comments with them in the VFR that on low beams they were hard to see in day light. On high, they filled the entire lens and were pretty bright. These new ones definitely don't ever fill out the lower part of the lens. Not sure how conspicuous they are during the day, but they seem to function fine at night. If you are a night time commuter or tourer, not the lights for you...

On a side note, I noticed on the ST forum that one of the members installed some Cyclops 3800 lumen LEDs in his. He was instructed by the makers of them to drill a hole in the headlight shell for heat dissipation. The thought of drilling into my headlight shell doesn't excite me at all. No idea on price or warranty.

• Member Contributer

If you look at your pictures, you can see the issue, the old filament/LED on high has a larger area above the height of your fan in the corner, the LED/LED does not, so the high beam LEDs are not located in the proper place for your reflector !

• Member Contributer

Also, note that the new ones have three LEDs on the top and nothing on the bottom. The idea with the originals (and incandescents) is that the low beams are on top to hit the top of the reflector and shoot out straight and down. Then the highs are on the bottom to hit the bottom reflector and shoot out higher, as well as being brighter. At least that's my understanding of reflector housings.

:beer:

• Member Contributer

On a plus note, I now have mastered no fairing removal headlight replacement! Just swapped the LEDs from the ST back to the 5th Gen without removing any plastics.

• Member Contributer

:beer:

Yep, like this:

post-362-0-72788600-1434227342.jpg

With the LEDs only on the top there can be no high beam, so it's not very surprising that your choice is between bright and brighter low beams, only. It's "little" things like this that make you wonder what the designers were thinking...

Ciao,

Archived