New Battery On My Old Fat Slow Bike. Light Weight Or Heavy?

VF1000RS

• Member Contributer

Now that I have your attention, it`s not really all that fat anymore since I`ve trimmed off about 70 pounds...and not exactly all that slow since it`s fast enough for me....but it is old-ish...at least some of it is.

I am on my second Odyssey PC680MJ battery since I finalized my Mutant R a few years back, ok, many years back. Each one has lasted approximately 7 years. I have noticed harder starting when the bike has been run for awhile hot. Voltage has always shown it was charging while running and I rode home on that last ride without any issue.

The day after my last ride a few weeks ago it would not start the next day. Voltage was down to 11.4-ish volts. No problem, I need a new battery.

The Odyssey PC680MJ has proven itself to me with it`s ability to last and to fail gracefully. I have rarely even had to charge it. I even still have my original which I have given a charge to and used to crank a stubborn starting bike when needed.

But it weighs 15 pounds. And as you can see, it`s up high in the tail. And so I find myself at a decision making point. My dealer has EarthX batteries and an ETX18C calling my name with it`s 2-ish pound weight. Price is steep at $220 but the Odyssey has climbed to $177 over the years.(I still have my receipt for the original Odyssey I purchased for $104 with tax). So the price isn`t really the issue, I am thinking of the weight savings(dropping an additional 13 pounds just like that!)

but......

How will the EarthX fail? Any issues with first generation VF`s? Opinions welcomed.

post-10340-0-05874900-1386465828.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm not familiar with EarthX, but I have had the best experience with Speedcell Technologies, arguably the best. Josh Kauffman was one of the pioneers (if not the only) of lightweight batteries in the Powersports industry and has an incredible amount to knowledge and experience with these batteries. Most of the other lightweight batteries with which I have experience (Ballistic, MOTY) have simply been second-rate imitators.

• Member Contributer

I have a Shorai in my 2004 VFR800 that I'm very happy with. Crazy light (don't have my weight sheet close by) and excellent build quality (the case states it was designed in Japan but assembled in China). I have also dropped a lo of weight (50+ pounds, more coming) and the battery was the easiest and probably cheapest per pound.

• Member Contributer

MotoBatt MBTX9U AGM has been in my R on it's side for 4 seasons. I haven't charged it since new. I didn't even bring it in last winter and it fired up great ths spring. It can be had for under $80. It weighs 7.61ibs. Dimensions (in): 5.94 x 3.43 x 4.13 Best battery I've ever owned. It spins up that big lump with ease. It's not the YB16 relacement, it cranks so well you can go down a few sizes no problem. For the foreseeable future, there's no need to spend hunreds on a battery...I'm not chasing ounces. Might be a different story if I was...maybe.

No help on the ones you mentioned. The new tech in batteries is pretty impressive. If you don't mind spending the coin, it's the future.

7 years out of a battery is pretty good if you ask me.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the info so far. I researched the odyssey back when it was cutting edge and was a battery that could be laid on its side. Now this latest battery tech with ultra light weight has got me intrigued.

I just wanted to add that I'm also a big fan of AGM batteries. I've got a Deka in the Big F and also the CB.

Great batteries that also crank well and last.

• Member Contributer

MotoBatt MBTX9U AGM has been in my R on it's side for 4 seasons. I haven't charged it since new. I didn't even bring it in last winter and it fired up great ths spring. It can be had for under $80. It weighs 7.61ibs. Dimensions (in): 5.94 x 3.43 x 4.13 Best battery I've ever owned. It spins up that big lump with ease. It's not the YB16 relacement, it cranks so well you can go down a few sizes no problem. For the foreseeable future, there's no need to spend hunreds on a battery...I'm not chasing ounces. Might be a different story if I was...maybe.

No help on the ones you mentioned. The new tech in batteries is pretty impressive. If you don't mind spending the coin, it's the future.

7 years out of a battery is pretty good if you ask me.

Thanks for the info so far. I researched the odyssey back when it was cutting edge and was a battery that could be laid on its side. Now this latest battery tech with ultra light weight has got me intrigued.

I just wanted to add that I'm also a big fan of AGM batteries. I've got a Deka in the Big F and also the CB.

Great batteries that also crank well and last.

I have had a MotoBatt in the VFR for the past three years or so. I bought one for personal use so I could be a guinea pig before I offered the battery to my customers. I never keep the bike on a Battery Tender, and there have been times I haven't started her for a few months. In this time, the MotoBatt has never failed to start the bike easily. Probably the best bang for buck for any AGM battery out there.

The lithium batteries really seem to be the future of batteries, especially if they can bring the cost down. I don't want to get into any name bashing, but some of the Speedcell imitators have caused problems including fires or explosions. The garage fire at MotoGP at CotA this year was the result of a lithium battery fire in the Yamaha garage. Most of the imitators don't use A-grade lithium cells which result in reduced performance and/or decreased battery life.

• Member Contributer

I had a Moty, did not like the temp of the battery. Couple of times i took the seat off and check and it was hot . Hot enough you could not touch it for long. Here what I have now .

Standard Recommendation: LFX18A1-BS12MSRP: $189.95

Our LFX Standard Recommendation is the best overall pick for most applications, and has been selected to give strong cranking performance and long lifespan. This LFX battery is 2.35 kg (5.19 lbs) lighter than the lead-acid YTX12-BS-D. For technical questions, please see the Shorai FAQ.

Shorai Batteries require a charging system output of 13.1 Volts or higher at idle, and must not exceed 15.2 volts at maximum output.

a1-image.jpgView Large Image Specifications: Weight: 2.31 lbs 1.05 kg Cold Cranking Amps: 270 Polarity: [+ -]

QTY:

• Member Contributer

Hmmmm, fit one to my bicycle so I may use my heated glove liners this winter on my 6am rides????? :-)

• Member Contributer

I had a Moty, did not like the temp of the battery. Couple of times i took the seat off and check and it was hot . Hot enough you could not touch it for long. Here what I have now .

Wow, that is unusual. Mine is parked pretty close to the exhaust and it still never gets hot.

• Member Contributer

I looked pretty hard at the Shorai batteries but the over voltage warning makes me wonder. Also would need their charger if I wanted the cells balanced?

These are things addressed by EarthX. If my R/R pops and sends 17 volts to the battery the EarthX has over voltage protection built in. Likewise it has a balancing circuit built in and I can use my existing charger(if needed).

If you're adventurous, make your own! That way you can add in the balancing terminals too!

I'm not quite that adventurous at this point!

I like that the lithium batteries keep their charge much better than lead acid.

No need to fool around with chargers. The weight loss amounts to something like 1% of the bikes weight.

I can't feel the diff, but it can't hurt.

Oh, they crank the starters better and faster. More noticeable with the apes than the VFR. :cool:

• Member Contributer

Thanks. I know it's prolly not going to feel any different by losing the weight of the battery but I think the cumulative effect (if I go this route) will result in a total loss of about 83 pounds overall.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I did go with the EarthX battery at 2 pounds. I did notice the weight loss. Now need the snow to melt again so I can ride.

• Member Contributer

I looked pretty hard at the Shorai batteries but the over voltage warning makes me wonder. Also would need their charger if I wanted the cells balanced?

These are things addressed by EarthX. If my R/R pops and sends 17 volts to the battery the EarthX has over voltage protection built in. Likewise it has a balancing circuit built in and I can use my existing charger(if needed).

If you're adventurous, make your own! That way you can add in the balancing terminals too!

I'm not quite that adventurous at this point!

Says the guy who built the Mutant!

I did go with the EarthX battery at 2 pounds. I did notice the weight loss. Now need the snow to melt again so I can ride.

Nice.

No snow here to speak of, but all the pavement is white with salt. No thanks...

• Member Contributer

Nice.

No snow here to speak of, but all the pavement is white with salt. No thanks...

Just under 3" of snow in Peachtree City, GA two days ago, temps still have not reached above freezing since so it looks nice and "postcardy" here.

Now getting snow like this every decade or so makes it a fiduciary irresponsibility for a municipality to invest in salt, cinders, sand or whatever the hot new chemicals are so we still have fairly empty roads.

I have a ballistic evo2 8 cell in my bike. It has been in there for almost a year. It doesn't like cold weather. When it gets below 50 degrees, it loses some capacity. In 30 degree temps, I have had some nail biters, but it eventually fires up. But in the grand scheme of things, who cares, it weighs 1.5 pounds! lol

If I had a vf1000r, I would get the 12 cell and keep in doors. The 12 cell weighs in at 2.5 pounds, so it's still crazy light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALLISTIC-EVO2-8-CELL-LITHIUM-BATTERY-YAMAHA-FZR600-R-Motorcycle-1989-1999-/271275855771?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALLISTIC-EVO2-12-CELL-L-LITHIUM-BATTERY-YAMAHA-YFV600FW-GRIZZLY-1998-2001-/400383956577?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d38be5661&vxp=mtr

• Member Contributer

Which makes a playground for those that have half a clue about operating a motor vehicle! Haha

yes, I hardly need the supercharger in my M3 to play in this weather. :wink: after spending the past two weeks in Toronto and Chicago the rust had been knocked from rusty ice/snow driving skills and I had some fun yesterday goofing off. Told the wife I had to get printer cartridges to finish my expense report.

Everyplace except Home Depot and the grocery stores was closed so I bought some stuff to make chili.

On Topic, you need a good battery when it is cold.

Archived