New Battery On My Old Fat Slow Bike. Light Weight Or Heavy?

VF1000RS

• Member Contributer

I used the ETX18c I think it is. Dunno if the battery loses capacity under 50 degrees but I think I lose some capacity under 50 degrees!

• Member Contributer

I've used my Shorai down to 30 F and it spins the motor right over... Fast! And that was after sitting for 2 months...

I love my Shorai, light and so small it fits in the palm of my hand :wub:

• Member Contributer

I've used my Shorai down to 30 F and it spins the motor right over... Fast! And that was after sitting for 2 months...

I love my Shorai, light and so small it fits in the palm of my hand :wub:

My first Shorai was crap but they replaced it for free and upgrade it to a 18 ..

Odyssey (Enersys) is a very high-quality AGM battery, they have a couple of patents that make it difficult for other designers to duplicate the level of performance they have (plate size) within the same form factor. Of course along with more amp-hour capacity and CCA means more solid lead grid and lead oxide active material which also increases weight. Odyssey boast some of the highest performance ratings as well as highest weights in the industry.

Compared to Lithium, AGM is more tolerant of abuse. Or perhaps I should say tolerant of abuse at all, where Lithium is much less so. Lithium has a lower self-discharge rate compared to AGM and much better than a flooded lead-acid battery. With that said a good AGM battery can sit, fully charged, and still have sufficient voltage after two years with no damage or sulfation problems. If the bike has any drain with the key off at all (such as a clock or computer) both styles will need a maintenance charger.

There are only a couple of styles of Lithium cell and chemistries used for powersports. All of the powersports batteries are assembled using a handful of round-cell form factors, obtained either from the original manufacturer, or licensed versions made by other manufacturers to the same specs. In that way they are all the same, but the difference is how they are connected within the battery case and the quality of interal electronics to protect the cells that differentiates one brand from another.

There is no question that Lithium is lighter for the same capacity, although with that comes tradeoffs a buyer should understand. Their charging demands are very specific, and their failure modes can be very destructive. You just have to go in with your eyes open.

• 2 years later...

Looks like an old thread but I can't find the info I need. I have been running Shorai batteries in my dual sport for years and want one for my 87VFR700. Shorai has this the LFX14A5-BS12 for 84-85 VFs but has no specific listing for my year. I can't imagine any major changes in the battery box. Anybody know if this will fit my bike?

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...

Archived