Another Vf500 Engine's Demise

YoshiHNS

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Maybe i have a solution: I put the part number in Google and the same valve is used in the VTR 250 until 1990 and is still available at webshops in the US and Europe.

That was my original plan. To use the spare 86 engine as parts for my VTR and 85 VF engine rebuild. I am looking at options between parting out both engines and buying a third one, or rebuilding all three engines and selling the spare.

I tried to buy from CMSNL. They have a few springs and valves but not a full set of intake or exhaust. They may look like they do but they don't, or at least they ddn't in May this year when I ordered from them, even though their website suggested they did. They told me they were unobtainium too.

they are pricey, but if you want to spend the money, you could try these people. I was told that they did have the parts for the 500, but you will have to ask them. If I was doing a serious rebuild and had the money, I would seriously consider rebuilding my head with their parts. If they don't have them, maybe enough would want to rebuild their VF500 engines that the cost would be their normal levels.

http://valvetrain.kpmivalvetrain.com/category/honda-cbr-600-f2-f3-1991-to-1996

When I priced up the valves and springs and all the other bits and bobs, I decided it wasn't worth it and just kept on the look out on Ebay UK for a second hand engine. I found one eventually with 3,000 miles. Valves and cams look pristine. They are out there, you just have to be patient.

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, all too common. The only way to prevent dropped valves on 500's is to keep those revs down. Observe a 9000rpm maximum engine speed and you'll enjoy a long life out of your VF500. Each time you exceed that you are one step closer to problems.

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, all too common. The only way to prevent dropped valves on 500's is to keep those revs down. Observe a 9000rpm maximum engine speed and you'll enjoy a long life out of your VF500. Each time you exceed that you are one step closer to problems.

So that does sound like an issue with springs. I don't really have a need for a high performance mini V4, so not a worry. The 250 might be another story.

• Member Contributer

I forget were these engines unleaded gas or leaded gas only motors .

I'm curious: why do you ask this question?

The primary use of lead in gas was for valve cushioning ..

yes, but to benefit the valve seats.

• Member Contributer

yes, but to benefit the valve seats.

Hmmm I wonder what the seats were being hammered by ?

I know the valves !!!!!!

No the lead in fuel was to stop valve seat recession caused by micro-welding on soft materials for valve seats - e.g. soft cast iron heads. See your local BMC mini or MG B for details. The lead works as a lubricant. As the Hondas have aluminium heads, Honda fitted hardened ferrous (iron-based) exhaust valve seats so that enable the bikes to run on Unleaded - because the materials used meant that valve seat recession was not an issue.

Dropped valves are usually caused by valve spring weakening, allowing the valve to bounce against the seat, weakening the narrowest part - the stem.

Does anyone if this is more or less likely in engines that have sat in the same position for a while (says he who owns a VF that was last registered on the road in 1994....) - an anecdotal story says that privateers with formula 1 engines used to have to turn the engines to a different position every day to avoid valve spring "set".

• Member Contributer

Tetramethyl lead was added to gas to help make a cushion and seal between the valves and the valve seat ...

Use to be a SAE auto mechanic in the 80's, it was question on the test and I missed it, I answered octane booster...

how many miles were on the engine? and how were you riding when it ate itself??? the valves look dark ---rich like dirty air filter bad gas etc-- they should have a brown look to them those plugs never lie----

• Member Contributer

I enjoyed a long life in my 500 Belt-0-Ceptor and I exceeded 9K on just about every ride...

You're looking at 98,755 miles not in moderation...

gallery_3131_51_36605.jpg

• Member Contributer

Negative... primary use of tetraethyl lead was for knock or detonation

control...

The story how lead got into our fuels started with high compression

aircraft engines back in 1921... a young engineer fresh out of college

named Charles Kettering started Dayton Engineering Labs Company or Delco...

he invented the first battery ignition systems for aircraft engines...

when protagonists in the field of aviation widely blamed his battery

ignition systems on knock or detonation Kettering commanded his young

assistant Thomas A. Midgley on a investigation of detonation.

motivated as much by a desire to protect Delco's reputation as by

scientific altruism. Midgley worked for months over his single

cylinder engine and famous "bouncing pin" which was devised to measure

differences in detonation pressures. and he soon determined that

detonation depended on both fuel grade and engine compression ratio.

Thinking at first that fuel color influenced knock. Midgley added

iodine to his fuel theorizing a dark-colored fuel would absorb more

heat energy and vaporize more quickly. When the knock diminished he

smelled success, but it did not come in the form . he suspected.

Further experiments forced him to discard the fuel color idea but led

in turn to a long. frustrating line of trial anti-knock additives. GM.

parent company of Delco. encouraged Midgley and his assistant T. A.

Boyd. who in a vigorous program, individually tested more than 30,000

compounds and their discouragement mounted with the list. On December

9, 1921. a chilly Friday. Midgley and Boyd were anticipating the

weekend's respite from their series of relentless, routine tests when

suddenly the engine was not behaving the same at all. Jolted into

disbelief, Midgley had quite literally stumbled onto the remarkable

antiknock properties of an obscure substance called tetraethyl lead.

This proved to be without doubt the greatest single discovery in the

development of aviation fuels; not only did this additive make higher

power possible. it enabled the aircraft to fly farther on a given

amount of fuel- it gave aircraft range and in turn enabled the

successful engines that dominated aviation until the advent of gas

turbines.

Thomas Midgley

thomas-midgley-jr-12.jpeg

Charles Kettering

Time-magazine-cover-charles-kettering.jp

• Member Contributer

I had a VF500 for 10 years, it got abused all the time, BUT I had a great maintenance regime. Fresh oil every 2500 miles, valve clearances every 5000 miles & it always needed it, plus oil & filter. It had over 65k miles when I sold it.

I suspect all these valve failures are due to loose valve clearances, allowing the valves to slam closed at high rpm, thus wearing the valve head. Or alternately over revving with worn or poorly maintained cam chains !

On the valve clearance issue, the screw wears from new to an angle & if you then adjust it, there is much less material in contact with the valve stem, so it wears much quicker after adjustment ! Buy a spare set of tappet screws & swap them when you do a valve adjustment, then face the old ones flat for reuse next time ! Valve adjustment stays good for longer ! Also lever the Y rocker up at its centre when measuring the clearances, to avoid any excess clearance from rock on the rocker shaft.

Good luck with the rebuild.

On a side note, Thomas Midgley contracted lead poisoning as a result of experimenting with TEL, and although debilitated, not die from it. He contracted polio at age 51 and was severely disabled as a result. He rigged a rope and pulley contraption over his bed to help lift him, got tangled up in the ropes one day and died of strangulation.

• Member Contributer

Negative... primary use of tetraethyl lead was for knock or detonation

control...

The story how lead got into our fuels started with high compression

aircraft engines back in 1921... a young engineer fresh out of college

named Charles Kettering started Dayton Engineering Labs Company or Delco...

he invented the first battery ignition systems for aircraft engines...

when protagonists in the field of aviation widely blamed his battery

ignition systems on knock or detonation Kettering commanded his young

assistant Thomas A. Midgley on a investigation of detonation.

motivated as much by a desire to protect Delco's reputation as by

scientific altruism. Midgley worked for months over his single

cylinder engine and famous "bouncing pin" which was devised to measure

differences in detonation pressures. and he soon determined that

detonation depended on both fuel grade and engine compression ratio.

Thinking at first that fuel color influenced knock. Midgley added

iodine to his fuel theorizing a dark-colored fuel would absorb more

heat energy and vaporize more quickly. When the knock diminished he

smelled success, but it did not come in the form . he suspected.

Further experiments forced him to discard the fuel color idea but led

in turn to a long. frustrating line of trial anti-knock additives. GM.

parent company of Delco. encouraged Midgley and his assistant T. A.

Boyd. who in a vigorous program, individually tested more than 30,000

compounds and their discouragement mounted with the list. On December

9, 1921. a chilly Friday. Midgley and Boyd were anticipating the

weekend's respite from their series of relentless, routine tests when

suddenly the engine was not behaving the same at all. Jolted into

disbelief, Midgley had quite literally stumbled onto the remarkable

antiknock properties of an obscure substance called tetraethyl lead.

This proved to be without doubt the greatest single discovery in the

development of aviation fuels; not only did this additive make higher

power possible. it enabled the aircraft to fly farther on a given

amount of fuel- it gave aircraft range and in turn enabled the

successful engines that dominated aviation until the advent of gas

turbines.

Thomas Midgley

thomas-midgley-jr-12.jpeg

Charles Kettering

Time-magazine-cover-charles-kettering.jp

Double negative !!!

Tetraethyllead

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tetraethyllead 200px-Tetraethyllead-Skeletal-SVG.svg.pn 180px-Tetraethyllead-3D-balls.png

Tetraethylplumbane

Other names[hide]

Lead tetraethyl

Tetraethyl lead

Tetra-ethyl lead
Identifiers Abbreviations TEL CAS number 78-00-27px-Yes_check.svg.pngPubChem 6511 ChemSpider 62657px-Yes_check.svg.pngUNII 13426ZWT6A7px-Yes_check.svg.pngEC number 201-075-4 UN number 1649 MeSH Tetraethyl+lead ChEBI CHEBI:301827px-Yes_check.svg.pngRTECS number TP4550000 Beilstein Reference 3903146 Gmelin Reference 68951 Jmol-3D images Image 1 Properties Molecular formula C8H20Pb Molar mass 323.44 g mol−1 Appearance Colorless liquid Density 1.653 g cm−3Melting point

−136 °C, 137 K, -213 °F

Boiling point

84-85 °C, 357-358 K, 183-185 °F (15 mmHg)

Refractive index (nD) 1.5198 Structure Molecular shape Tetrahedral Dipole moment 0 D Hazards EU classification 40px-Hazard_TT.svg.png T+40px-Hazard_N.svg.png N R-phrases R61, R26/27/28, R33, R50/53,R62 S-phrases S53, S45, S60, S61 NFPA 704
75px-NFPA_704.svg.png
Flash point 73 °C Related compounds Related compounds Tetraethylgermanium

Tetraethyltin

14px-Yes_check.svg.png(verify) (what is: 10px-Yes_check.svg.png/10px-X_mark.svg.png?)

Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C, 100 kPa) Infobox references

Tetraethyllead (common name tetraethyl lead), abbreviated TEL, is an organolead compound with the formula (CH3CH2)4Pb. It was mixed with gasoline (petrol) beginning in the 1920s as an inexpensive octane booster which allowed engine compression to be raised substantially, which in turn increased vehicle performance and fuel economy.[1][2] TEL was phased out starting in the US in the mid-1970s because of its neurotoxicity and its damaging effect on catalytic converters. It is still used as an additive in some grades ofaviation gasoline and automotive racing fuels. Innospec is the last firm still making TEL.

In motor fuel[edit]

Tetraethyl lead was extensively used as an additive to gasoline, wherein it served as an effective antiknock agent and prevented exhaust valve and seat wear.

Valve wear preventative[edit]

Tetraethyl lead works as a buffer against microwelds forming between the hot exhaust valves and their seats.[3] Once these valves reopen, the microwelds pull apart and leave the valves with a rough surface that would abrade the seats, leading to valve recession. When lead began to be phased out of motor fuel, the automotive industry began specifying hardened valve seats and upgraded exhaust valve materials to prevent valve recession without lead.[4]

Antiknock agent[edit]

A gasoline-fueled reciprocating engine requires fuel of sufficient octane rating to prevent uncontrolled combustion known as engine knocking ("knock" or "ping").[5] Antiknock agents allow the use of higher compression ratios for greater efficiency[6] and peak power. Adding varying amounts of TEL to gasoline allowed easy, inexpensive control of octane ratings; aviation spirits used in WWII reached 150 octane to enable supercharged engines such as the Rolls-Royce Merlin and Griffon to produce 1500 HP at altitude.[7] In military aviation, TEL manipulation allowed a range of different fuels to be tailored for particular flight conditions, and ease and safety of handling

Wikipedia is ALWAYS right .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraethyllead

The vf500f is built for unleaded fuel, so that should not be a point of discussion.

1 thing is having my attention at al the pictures from broken pistons and cilinder heads. No black soot in the damaged cilinder, the cilinder and valves are burnt clean and have the browm color of rusted iron.

I think that cilinder was running on a very lean mixture, maybe caused by a leaking insulator. I have sean pics of cimilar damage on cbx550's, valve stressed to much by overheating, breaking and the we have an other serie of pics from a damaged engine.

• Member Contributer

i remember getting scolded in class because i said it was a fitting end for a man who caused so much death and suffering.

but like others have said.. have fun on the rebuild.. however. rebuild a non blown up motor. :tongue:

Archived