Another Vf500 Engine's Demise

YoshiHNS

• Member Contributer

I think part of the reason I'm pushing on with this is because I like the V4 500. And I technically already had the engine running (just not on all 4 cylinders).

The rest is so one day, if I ever run into Tom again, and I hope I don't, I can shove it into his face that I managed to fix this bike that he scammed on me.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Are you worried about hot spots leading to pre-ignition on the rough edges or are you going to clean them up?

• Member Contributer

That is cleaned up...mostly. I'm going to leave it as it is. I would be more worried about removing all that material and affecting the flow even more than it is.

• Member Contributer

My OCD would force me to spend intimate time with a dremel, fine flapper wheel and a beverage with that, good times! Hard to work so close to the valve seat though, would have to be carefull. Speaking of valve seat, you've come this far is there a reason for not doing a quick 3 angle vavle job? (Missed the first 12 pages)

• Member Contributer

Because I didn't feel like spending the $500+ on the tools to cut the seats :wink:

The guy actually cut the one side of the head that had the damage. Not sure why he didn't just go ahead and do the other side though. But he didn't really charge me much for everything he did.

When you only get about an hour or two a month to yourself, you are forced to put the OCD aside and just get it done well, but not perfect.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Actually made some progress. Installed the new Viton valve stem seals. Very easy and only took a couple of minutes. I had the Motion Pro seal installer, and I'd say it was worth the few bucks.

Now for the retainers. I'm struggling to get the retainers back in without getting one of these tools that I've seen other people use. If anyone has tips, I'd appreciate them. Bit by bit it'll get finished.

Just stumbled on this. And as another vf500f owner (see last month's MOTORCYCLIST magazine), I really appreciate you staying with the rebuild and forging a trail for the rest of us with the same bike. Look forward to seeing it back on the road.

• Member Contributer

Another update. I know it's unusual to have such a short time between updates, but I'm not gonna complain.

Pic of the new viton valve seals.

DSCF1354.jpg

So it took a while to learn the trick to getting them in. Once set, it was simply a matter of making sure everything went exactly as needed. Here's a quick pic-guide of what worked for me.

Step 1: Load the springs, valve, retainer.

DSCF1356.jpg

Step 2: Load 1 keeper. Rotate the retainer or use a screwdriver until the retainer is on the more difficult side to access.

DSCF1359.jpg

Step 3: Compress the valve spring down part way. It worked MUCH better using the lever action on the valve compressor tool. This way, the retainer stayed where I wanted it, and didn't rotate around to where I wanted to put the second retainer. With it partway compressed, place the second retainer in, making sure it is in the correct location (aka not on top of the other retainer).

DSCF1362.jpg

Step 4. Compress the spring further while pressing down on the second retainer. I screwed the clamp down slowly, while using either my finger or screwdriver to press the second retainer down. It might take a couple of tries compressing and uncompressing the spring. If the first retainer fell too far, the second one would be very difficult to get in, and it would be easier to just take the second one out and start again. After compressing the spring a little bit more and a little pressure on the retainer, the second retainer will fall in place.

DSCF1363.jpg

Step 5: Slowly unscrew the valve spring compressor, making sure the retainers remain even with each other and engage the valve.

DSCF1364.jpg

And you are done. When I was first learning the trick, it took 10-15 minutes at least to do the first one. Once I had it figured out, it only took 2-3 minutes for the rest.

And there was some discussion about valve springs wearing. Well, I went through and measured the spring lengths between my spare head and the original. I kept the longer springs. There was a very clear difference in spring heights between a 'worn' spring and a decent one.

DSCF1365.jpg

DSCF1366.jpg

Next is to get the head back on the engine.

• Member Contributer

Good job and in auto mechanic's class back in 70's they trained to whack it with a rubber hammer, just make sure the keepers were seated .

I was thinking of this as well, but thought it would be best while wearing safety glasses, and I don't have any at home. Just in case.

Thanks for taking the photos of the springs.

Seeing those springs makes me peed off at Honda for under engineering the VF500 valve train. I suppose at the time they wanted a high engine RPM so they could quote max power output to make the VF sound competitive against the likes of the RD350LC. Unfortunately the consequence was the blown engines we see in this thread.

Archived