Decisions, Decisions

2thdr

• Member Contributer

Personally I like lighter colors to keep my head cooler... and I like Shoei style better in this case. Go with what fits your head best.

• Member Contributer

I'm a Shoei fan and I really like the GT-Air, it will most likely be my next helmet and will likely replace my RF-1100. Although helmets don't always fit the same for everyone, I'm sure you'll do your due diligence and try them on first.

• Member Contributer

Tried on the GT-Air and it fits my noggin even better than the RF-1000's that I've worn for 5+ years. It also has the features that I crave: retractable sun visor (don't have to carry an extra shield with me on trips), speaker pockets that are actually big enough for speakers, complete liner and pads removable for cleaning, quality paint, fit, and finish.

The Arai is an unknown for me. I think the Defiant is just cool as hell looking and is designed for upright in the wind (naked) riding. I might even pay the $8 return shipping to Revzilla just to try it on...no dealers anywhere near me that stock Arai. The Arai mystique...what is it???

• Member Contributer

It's a shame you can't find a local Arai dealer. I have a Shoei X-12 and have had a couple RFs in the past (RF-700 days). I also have four different Arai's split between my wife and I. I just bought my wife her newest Arai and while trying them on, I could feel a comfort difference immediately. If you've never owned an Arai, I think you owe it to yourself to spend the $8 just to try it on. My first Arai was bought just before my trip to Alaska and for that 21-day trip I never once had a bad thought about have to put the helmet on again. The only reason I even own the Shoei is due to an offer I could not refuse to pass up.

• Member Contributer

I have the GT-air. It's a worthy upgrade. Cuts the air really nice (buffeting, etc). Mine is rigged up with BT speakers (Sena-SMH10R). It's very quiet, quietest helmet I've ever used. Same exact one in your photo above.

Arai looks cool to me..as in if big chunky vents flow more air into the helmet. ..the cooler it will be...hopefully sans wind noise.

So for now I put up with a 2 yr old HJC RPS10 which is falling apart bit by bit.

Saving my pesos for a high end bucket...Arai is looking like good choice.

• Member Contributer

Can't go wrong with either. I wear Shoei and my wife wears an Aria. would g with whichever one weighs less.

• Member Contributer

Im one to recommend making sure that the new helmet fits well.

The only way to be sure of that is to try one on for a while.

Still, i dont know scientific it is , but it appears the folks at webbikewold have different helmets categorized by shape. They list the new Shoei gt air as slightly narrow, but the old rf1k as medium round. No word on the new arai defiant.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

Happy shopping! I like the chance to try on different helmets to find one that i like. Have fun!

Ron

• Member Contributer

Well I pulled the trigger this morning and got the Shoei GT Air in the RWB Journey graphic...

GTair blue journey

Thanks to all for your input! Riding review to come...

• Member Contributer

For you guys wanting to try an Arai check to see if TSP (the service pavilion) is going to be near you at a race or motorcycle show and have them fit your head. Those gusy (and gals) are magic!

They measure your head (just as you do at home) then take a look at your abnormal pumpkin and select from round, round/oval, narrow, rat face or whatever the latest helmet shapes are and fit you without the cheek pads to make certain the helmet fits the head properly. then they fit the cheek pads.

they even play with the liner for the crown of the head, for example if you are between sizes say a medium and a large you may end up with a medium helmet with smaller liner or a large helmet with a medium liner.

then they save all of your data so whenever you need a new helmet, they pull up whatever frankenhelmet they built for you last time and you pick the color and presto...new lid.

the downside is it is not inexpensive to purchase an Arai and when you are locked in their system you cannot simply order an Arai from eBay or a web store because they will not customize it for you.

The other upside (aside from having a comfy noggin from which to make riding decisions) is that they frequently have closeouts and sales on disco'ed models or overstocks.

http://www.theservicepavilion.com/

take a look anyway and see if they are going to be near you soon if you are looking for the best fit on a new helmet.

• Member Contributer

Im one to recommend making sure that the new helmet fits well.

The only way to be sure of that is to try one on for a while.

Still, i dont know scientific it is , but it appears the folks at webbikewold have different helmets categorized by shape. They list the new Shoei gt air as slightly narrow, but the old rf1k as medium round. No word on the new arai defiant.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

Happy shopping! I like the chance to try on different helmets to find one that i like. Have fun!

Ron

The Defiant is listed as a "Round/Oval - fitting like the old Quantum 2 and the current Corsair V"

• Member Contributer

Well now you tell me...LOL

Sorry, been busy with WORK and just found this post...I think you made a great choice if the Shoei fits you.

I really wanted one but it doesn't fit me. it has all the features I wanted (and you mentioned especially the flip down sun visor and room for the speakers). Even exchanged pm's with Luvtoleanit several months ago as he had mentioned in a previous post that he had a source for them at a great discount but when I was able to find a location with them in stock the fit was a no go for me...hope it works for you.

• Member Contributer

Well now you tell me...LOL

Sorry, been busy with WORK and just found this post...I think you made a great choice if the Shoei fits you.

I really wanted one but it doesn't fit me. it has all the features I wanted (and you mentioned especially the flip down sun visor and room for the speakers). Even exchanged pm's with Luvtoleanit several months ago as he had mentioned in a previous post that he had a source for them at a great discount but when I was able to find a location with them in stock the fit was a no go for me...hope it works for you.

So far in my short MC riding career (since 2007), this Shoei GT Air helmet seems to be the best off-the-shelf fit I have found. I thought the RF-1000/1100 was good, but this one is better. The old Scorpion EXO-700's were a pretty good fit as well, but their new more round shapes put too much pressure on my forehead. I am still anxious to try on an Arai. Thanks for the link!

• Member Contributer

If you are a Shoei guy or have a Shoei head, and choose the same size you normally do, the GT-Air will fit tight initially. The neck roll is much tighter so getting the helmet on and off will make you feel like it's too small, it's not, and it will break-in, but it will feel more "race fit" then your past Shoeis, which is a good thing IMO. After I put it on I do have to pull down the straps, left and right, to get my ears to fold back to normal and such.

2thdr you will spend some considerable time rigging up the BT headset. Unlike past Shoeis the cheekpads are a little different and I had to spend a few hours on the helmet to tuck away all the wires. If you mount the BT on the left-hand side, stuff the wires, as much as you can, into the hole under the helmet strap on the left hand side. It takes some fanangiling and trial and error. My first helmet with speaker cut outs and you can tell the difference. Since the helmet cuts buffeting and because it's so quiet I can hear my music, easily. I was cruising at 90 and 100 and had no issues.

I will say the AGV Corsa fits like someone etched the liner with a laser for my head. Never had a better fitting helmet. The liner is fully adjustable for a custom fit. Definitely no room for a BT headset though, at least not the speakers.

• Member Contributer

Hey Doc,

Did you find a bargain? Where did you find the lid and how much did it set you back?

• Member Contributer

Well I pulled the trigger this morning and got the Shoei GT Air in the RWB Journey graphic...

nice! but does the blue match? :goofy: just kidding, recalled some talk about blue at the hog tie.

• Member Contributer

If you are a Shoei guy or have a Shoei head, and choose the same size you normally do, the GT-Air will fit tight initially. The neck roll is much tighter so getting the helmet on and off will make you feel like it's too small, it's not, and it will break-in, but it will feel more "race fit" then your past Shoeis, which is a good thing IMO. After I put it on I do have to pull down the straps, left and right, to get my ears to fold back to normal and such.

2thdr you will spend some considerable time rigging up the BT headset. Unlike past Shoeis the cheekpads are a little different and I had to spend a few hours on the helmet to tuck away all the wires. If you mount the BT on the left-hand side, stuff the wires, as much as you can, into the hole under the helmet strap on the left hand side. It takes some fanangiling and trial and error. My first helmet with speaker cut outs and you can tell the difference. Since the helmet cuts buffeting and because it's so quiet I can hear my music, easily. I was cruising at 90 and 100 and had no issues.

I will say the AGV Corsa fits like someone etched the liner with a laser for my head. Never had a better fitting helmet. The liner is fully adjustable for a custom fit. Definitely no room for a BT headset though, at least not the speakers.

Good info on the GT-Air fit, thanks.

I try on helmets and try to walk around the store and do other shopping with them for at least 30-45 minutes. It looks goofy as hell but i do get a better idea of the fitment than when I used to just try 6 or 8 helmets on in 20 minutes and take my chances.

nice! but does the blue match? :goofy: just kidding, recalled some talk about blue at the hog tie.

We will have to consult with Gloryracing on the color match...he is the definitive authority on matching colors on bikes and gear! LOL

Hey Doc,

Did you find a bargain? Where did you find the lid and how much did it set you back?

I basically got a graphic helmet for a solid color price... Good deal!

Looks like a good deal, thanks for the link Doc!

Archived