6Th Gen Swing Arm Same As 5Th Gen

VFRMille

I tried a search but didn't see anything. Is the 6th gen swingarm assy the same as the 5th gen? I'm talking the entire setup--just unbolt from the front & replace it all.

If not, what is different between the two?

Thanks,

• Member Contributer

They are not the same. There are two people who are or have worked on that. They are different lengths IIRC.

I'm sure they will chime in soon.

I believe the 6th gen's swing are was lengthened by roughly 1 inch over the 5th gen's, to increase stability.

It makes the 5th gens more fun to hoon on, but harder to get a clean launch at the drag strip.

The 6th gen swing arm is, like candyredrc46 said, AT LEAST an inch longer than the 5th gen's (may be an inch and a quarter, didnt get exact measurements while both were off.) But another thing i found while trying to mount my 5th gen swing arm to my 6th gen frame is where the huge mounting pin slides all the way through the 6th gen frame and swingarm, it is actually thicker on both sides. I wanted to run my 5th gen swingarm to give me a shorter wheel base but i was going to have to make spacers for both sides and i wasn't really in the mood for more spacers so i just slapped the 6th gen swingarm back on.

• Member Contributer

The 6th gen swing arm is, like candyredrc46 said, AT LEAST an inch longer than the 5th gen's (may be an inch and a quarter, didnt get exact measurements while both were off.) But another thing i found while trying to mount my 5th gen swing arm to my 6th gen frame is where the huge mounting pin slides all the way through the 6th gen frame and swingarm, it is actually thicker on both sides. I wanted to run my 5th gen swingarm to give me a shorter wheel base but i was going to have to make spacers for both sides and i wasn't really in the mood for more spacers so i just slapped the 6th gen swingarm back on.

Hey Mini - so how is the 6th gen with a 5th gen engine work going?

• 2 months later...

Won't fit without serious mods. Tried it.

Might work using the 6th gen "cushion" under the engine, but I didn't have one to try.

Has anyone on tried this?

Will 6th gen "cushion" under the engine work on 5th gen? And can 5th gen swing arm be used with 6th gen "cushion", or swing arm needs to be replaced?

Then you can use aftermarket rearsets on 5th gen.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Might work using the 6th gen "cushion" under the engine, but I didn't have one to try.

Will 6th gen "cushion" under the engine work on 5th gen? And can 5th gen swing arm be used with 6th gen "cushion", or swing arm needs to be replaced?

I have more than tried this, I have installed it. I have a 6 gen cushion and rearset on my 5 gen! It was a pretty straight forward swap. As you say, now I can put aftermarket rearsets on and they just plain look WAY better.

I have more than tried this, I have installed it. I have a 6 gen cushion and rearset on my 5 gen! It was a pretty straight forward swap. As you say, now I can put aftermarket rearsets on and they just plain look WAY better.

you cant leave that ther without photographs. You can NOT.

• Member Contributer

you cant leave that ther without photographs. You can NOT.

+1 -- Pics! Pics!

• Member Contributer

Hey guys,

It may take a day or two. I'm at work today :mad: and have company in town for x-mas but will do in the near future. The only thing I am waiting on is a custome brake line from a local guy to get from the master to the rear caliper. Then I can bleed the brakes and el-finito. I was even able to keep the linked brakes.

• Member Contributer

It is a fairly straight forward swap as we have mounted the 6G cush on the 5G engine. That part is easy.

That being said, the cush for the 6G allows for the larger width of both "fingers" that attach the swingarm to the engine (the 6G swingarm is wider at the mounting points). The 5G swingarm has at least 10mm of play on the left side and possibly only 1.5-2mm of play on the right.

When using the 6G through bolt with the 5G swingarm on the 6G cush the through bolt "pulls" into the mounting collar too far and you can actually flex the cush with a screwdriver so I know that cornering loads will not be your friend.

We are looking for an old rear sprocket to mount up and lay a chain on it to confirm that the 5G swingarm centers within the 6G cush before we fab up any spacers to try the mount again.

But, yes...6G rearsets allow for way better looking peg options/spacing.

Archived