Is 250,000 Miles On A Vfr Possible?

• Member Contributer

Frikkin' sweet ODO post OtMax!

very nice collection.

My 94 was the bike D&D used to model the 4th gen pipe (when it was the demo bike for Mark Lamb at DFW Honda before I moved to GA) I loved the sound of that exhaust too until time to replace the packing, it became too high pitched for me.

• Member Contributer

The Stahlbus looks interesting - but knowing myself all too well, when ready to change the oil I'd be saying "now WHERE did I put that *&^!*@$# hose??" So instead I'd find a punch or something to depress the check valve and wind up burning my hand . . . :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

250,000 is possible even running a free flowing 30 weight oil... after all flow is what lubricates our engine not pressure... thin is in...

• 1 month later...

I saw the thread title awhile back but never read it, because I thought it was someone asking an open-ended question.

Now I find out that someone actually DID it.

Very Cool Paul, way to go.

Hope AmHon takes notice.

• Member Contributer

Very Cool...

+1 to what Veefer said, American Honda should step up and recognize you & your machine's achievement!

When I bought mine, it wasn't even running... but everything I had ever read about VFRs said reliable, reliable, reliable.

Now have 70,000 km. on her, ticks a bit @ idle sometimes, sometimes not, runs great, very happy.( of course I fixed the charging issues!!!!!)

The Stahlbus looks interesting - but knowing myself all too well, when ready to change the oil I'd be saying "now WHERE did I put that *&^!*@$# hose??" So instead I'd find a punch or something to depress the check valve and wind up burning my hand . . . :rolleyes:

I have the Stahlbus drain - works great and less mess (Ironically my last name is Stahl - Mr. Steel). I only change filter every 20,000 kilometres so it's a quick way to dump the oil.

250,000 is awesome. I hope mine runs that long (80,000 kilometres so far - 2005 bike).

I had a Honda car with over 400,000 kilometres and it ran like the day it was new. Unfortunately, electrical, body, seats (chewed by dogs), and other components failed around it. They build great machines!

I met SlideRule (great name for an Engineer!) tonight. He stopped me at a gas station near home, we must live minutes apart, he said he thought he recognized the bike. I actually hadnt ridden this bike since i rolled 250K, but i needed the hard trunk this week. He was riding a beautiful CBR1100XX.

Clinton, if you're reading this, i would have liked to chat more, but i needed to get the kids situated with homework and dinner, then i had to make a return trip to Laguna, my gf was locked out of her house.

I think i spent more hours in the saddle today then i did at work.

That bike still amazes me, so smooth.

Paul in SoCal

• Member Contributer

That's awesome. It's amazing how well engineered these engines are. So many moving parts including some controlling explosions and it goes 250,000 miles without any problems. It's hard to comprehend it.

• Member Contributer

According to Honda 250,000 miles is possible running 30 weight oil... 30 weights are so good that you

don't require a 40 or 50 to meet your mileage expectations...

• 4 weeks later...

you are the man !!! i never did find what happened ?? doe sthe bike still run or are you gonna rebuild the engine-- and what a line of vfrs you have awesome!!

It still runs like a top. No plans for any major work, although it needs a new rear sprocket.

As far as I'm concerned, the 4G is the epitome of VFR, no need for a '14.

But I am making room for a Valkyrie!

Paul in SoCal

Archived