Corner Carver Made Me Do It

timmythecop

not yet. I ran outta time. I was reading in another place where a racer had the same setup and with the triples DOWN 1.5 inches, had 8mm of clearance. I have gone UP almost an inch, so I should be OK. We will know more tomorrow. If it is a go, I'll just swap the F2 wheels on with the speedo drive and be groovy. Only other stumblers are fork-lock, ignition switch and fuse block placement. I think the bars will clear everything ok, but since I am in charge of how much fork lock there will be. I'll just set it 1mm away from contact.

here's on with the same front end and after many races, no contact with front head was reported

9993d1258828053-vf500f-cbr600f-fork-slid

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't take the suspense, so I went back in there. Took off the caps and collapsed the front end all the way

100_8831_zps4a571b34.jpg

I have over an inch and a half of clearance, clarence!

100_8832_zpsdcf2f0e6.jpg

100_8833_zps2b88d394.jpg

so to make everyone happier, I pulled the forks up a half inch to jibe with the clip ons better and I sill have an inch of safety zone.

• Member Contributer

Build is getting interesting - way to stay with it!

With this in mind I am curious to see how the geometry will settle in.

A few numbers for reference:

vf500fstockrakeandtrail11-19-09.jpg

From memory the CBR600F2/F3 forks are (when measured from top of upper fork tube to center of axle) 780mm. (If you have a chance could you please confirm?)

To note, the VF500F forks are 802mm and YZF forks are 805mm.

With a 160/60-17 rear tire you have an overall diameter (if I am doing the calcs right) of 622mm.

• Diameter in inches = rim dia inches + [ (2 x aspect ratio x section width) / 25.4 ] or 17 + [ (2 x .60 x 160) / 25.4 ] = 24.5" (622mm)

The stock VF500F overall rear wheel diameter is 654mm. This is a difference of 32mm (1.25") give or take a fraction or two (divide by two for the effect on the overall rear height, or 16mm in this case, per Gaz's note below).

With this in mind I think you'll need some additional rear ride height for sure (contingent on the front fork length too) - perhaps an F4i shock conversion for the shop clipboard?

ICs, if I may - the reduction in rear ride height would be half the diameterical difference, so 16mm.

I'm not sure what tyre is being used at the front, but I used a 120/60-17 and calculated a 2.7mm increase in front ride height based on Bridgestone's numbers for the BT016s.
As Timmy has measured some clearance between front mudguard and radiator, could some of this difference be regained by sliding the forks up through the yokes?

One of the reasons I did not seem bothered by the loss of ride height, is because my double extra secret probation part is a Fox twin clicker. I should be able to regain all that was lost in the conversion. Watching the mailbox like a hawk, for that box containing the shock. It was supposed to be secret, but I don't want you fellas thinking I was going about this William-nilliam.

Measuring my F2 forks, hangin free with no wheel on them, I got 30 7/8 or 784mm. After messuring an F3 front end side by side, all dimensions are the same, except the F3s are cartridge type and have no provision for a spedo drive. ( or any tab to keep drive from spinning.

stuff is so similar, but all the variations are hurting my head. Next bike IS STOCK, dammit

here we have a different front end on there

100_8838_zpscff40e7b.jpg

complete with speedo drive (we must be legal, mustn't we)

100_8839_zps90aa2149.jpg

Got the ignition barrel sorted with a minimum of grinding (and after I bought the correct star bit. The triple looks trifling because I pulled off the fake carbon sticker.

100_8841_zpsc07530b5.jpg

the wheel shown is a 4.5 with a 170 on it. A 170 does fit inside the swing arm, but the limiting factor is the chain. If, for some reason, you HAD to run a 170 or possibly a 180, there is room to shim the front sprocket, but then you run afoul of the frame after a while. I will run a 160/60, going with the lower profile tyre because I can easily adjust ride height.

That VFR fender is nice. I may have to look for one.

I've got some ideas for the fuse box relocation with the bent going towards waterproofness. Last night I solved the front brake switch and brake fluid bottle snags.

100_8851_zpsc13ff317.jpg

now just need to spin this around near sharp cutting instruments.

100_8852_zps0f13841b.jpg

• Member Contributer

now just need to spin this around near sharp cutting instruments.

100_8852_zps0f13841b.jpg

F2 wheel? Just throw the 500 cush in there and be done with it. I ran one on my portly R with no issues. No machinng needed.

that is a 500 cush. It has to be machined in order to use it with an F2 wheel in the tiny 500 swing arm. I have too press out the studs first, then the lip around the bearing needs to go back 10mm and each sprocket mounting boss needs to go back 10mm. Then I have to source some strong bolts to use that are, you guessed it: 10mm shorter.

• Member Contributer

Gotcha. I thought maybe the smaler 500 cush didn't need machining. The R must be just wide enough at the front sprocket to work with the smaller cush. Continue on.

here is a side by side with the Fox nearing maximum height. Should be no problem setting this booger up.

100_8856_zps3c1171cb.jpg

and for all you OCD fookers, I'll take care of spring colour later..........

100_8857_zps150bc8fd.jpg

Archived