Corner Carver Made Me Do It

timmythecop

Its kinda moot since my jet kit will be here today or tomorrow, but I posted it for your database. I wonder why NONE of my needles have the same numbers as the handbook.

The one that I read as 2V1 is markedly pointier.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I wonder why NONE of my needles have the same numbers as the handbook.

Mechanic's error somewhere along the way. These should match the FSM for a stock bike.

If I could ask, what jet kit will you be installing?

• Member Contributer

Okay, thanks for the info. If I could ask, what size jets are they supplying/what all is included in the kit?

Do I see drill bits? I would not recommend drilling the slides. Too risky!

I'll let you know. Regardless of numbers and letters, do you remember if the front or the back had the more tapered needle?

• Member Contributer

I'll let you know. Regardless of numbers and letters, do you remember if the front or the back had the more tapered needle?

From the '84 FSM:

Carburetor Type: VD-4V Vertical & Horizontal 32mm

#1...thin needle...2VD...#105 main...#38 slow

#2...fat needle...2VA...#102 main ...#38 slow

#3...thin needle...2VD...#105 main...#38 slow

#4...fat needle....2VA...#102 main...#38 slow

On a side note, my understanding is:

The jet needles are paired with specific emulsion tubes in a front and rear relationship.

The front carburetors (2&4) on a VF tend to run rich based on being mounted horizontally and as such these carburetors receive smaller main jets and a jet needle with a milder angle of taper paired with a specific pattern in the emulsion tube which controls the air/fuel mix.

v4carburetordiagramfrommotorcyclemechani

• Member Contributer

"The front carburetors (2&4) on a VF tend to run rich based on being mounted horizontally" and think also because of the longer header tubes.

Thanks IC, thats super useful. I have a spare set of carbs, so I'll try to find a maching pointy fellow. Do you suggest going to a 40 pilot jet. I ask because I have had success fattening that area up for just off idle. I do not plan on drilling the slides or clipping any springs. The petcock is already set up for gravity feed.

I forgot to check my jets, but I think they sent me 2 each of 110, 115, 117 and 120. No needles in the kit, but a specific collar was included to raise the existing needles.

7214_10200924636377890_1995579395_n.jpg

sorry for all the questions, but I really want to minimize the on-off of the carbs. Does anyone know if the idle jets are 22 seriers or something else? I am trying to find a source for these jets, but I dont know how to I.D. what I have.

• Member Contributer

only a mother could love that ..... Sorry Timmy ...

I love both............ :goofy:

post-8974-0-98475300-1364889575.jpg

(Doug knows whats cooking....)

• Member Contributer

timmythecop, on 01 Apr 2013 - 21:52, said:

Thanks IC, thats super useful. I have a spare set of carbs, so I'll try to find a maching pointy fellow. Do you suggest going to a 40 pilot jet. I ask because I have had success fattening that area up for just off idle. I do not plan on drilling the slides or clipping any springs. The petcock is already set up for gravity feed.

I forgot to check my jets, but I think they sent me 2 each of 110, 115, 117 and 120. No needles in the kit, but a specific collar was included to raise the existing needles.

If I could suggest, I would really recommend going with a Factory Pro jet kit instead. The intel above sounds off to me - mains are way too large, jet needles are not supplied and the requirement of drilling the slides are all red flags.

I've added a link to my previous post, on jet kits, in this thread: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/74183-corner-carver-made-me-do-it/?p=881670

To be honest, I know you've put time and energy into the aftermarket system but if it were my bike I would start with a baseline - installing the factory exhaust and replacing the jet needles to match the factory set up.

From there you can see how the bike performs and then dive into modifications. VF500Fs are really great bikes but they are notoriously difficult to tune when experimenting with aftermarket exhaust systems. Also, a well tuned stock 500 is a thing of beauty.

My concern is that you are opening Pandora's box with the current setup. The most important thing is to have fun of course so simply pointing out that having a baseline may be best.

• Member Contributer

Holly Crap WOOOOW Dutchy what a baby doll, that made my mourning.

¿Did somebody die?

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

Dutchy don't do that kind of thing... I just burnt out a stator and R/R...

She is dressed in all black for mourning...and while I see no issue with application of rear brake, I don't think she can properly up shift with those shoes.

My concern is that you are opening Pandora's box with the current setup. The most important thing is to have fun of course so simply pointing out that having a baseline may be best.

In a small way, I do have a baseline. I bought this bike from a friend of mine and I used to see him ride it to work every day. The only reason it was down was because his tank sprung a leak and then it was parked. He bought a new tank, got a divorce, and then 6 months later sold me the bike. I have an extra set of carbs, so I can re-match the needles.

My plan is to start off with the smallest of the main jet combinations and the equivalent of a full step raise of the needles, and one step up on the pilot jet. This really should get me very close, especially because I will be using the stock airbox. ( the supplied jets are: 110, 112.5, 115, and 117.5

I do understand what you are saying, and that's why I am pouring over all the info I can possibly get. I am not drilling anything so dont worry there.

• Member Contributer

Okay, all's good.

Keep in mind that going really big with the mains and a larger slow jet may lead to hot-start issues & poor driveability at highway speeds.

I have an '84 with the stock setup of #102F/#105R mains and haven't had these issues but Honda did send out a FSB back in the day - recommending to change out the '84 carbs to the '85 setup (enclosed below).

You are in new territory if going with #110F/#115R so not sure how this will play out...

HondaServiceBulletinCarburetors1.jpg

HondaServiceBulletinCarburetors2.jpg

HondaServiceBulletinCarburetors3.jpg

On a side note, I did change the set I have on my bike to external venting, per the FSB. I kept everything else the same as was originally issued by the factory.

The modified set showing the external venting is on the left and the stock '84 with internal venting is on the right.

vf500f84carbsrebuiltwithexternalventline

• Member Contributer

Great info in this thread (primarily from IC not mr flat black :goofy: ) but since we are moving to another stage in life with this awesome retro project it may be time to show you some picks of the plastics I am willing to part with for this Raask/V&H equiped Miniceptor...so here goes...check my gallery for others then we can talk.

IMG 0182[1]

IMG 0184[1]

IMG 0167[1]

If you want to move to the 85 paint scheme I have some rare goodies from the period to go along with your Vance & Hines and the rear sets...the tank will need some work as the key was misplaced and the tank "stored" (that's what the twenty something year old called it) UPSIDE down on a twoel with gasoline in it...leaked onto the perfect paint and I cried. Then later, when I didn't care so much about it was dropped in the cul de sac on the right side

If you want the 84 paint scheme as you have with yrou current tail section I can supply two very good side covers and some workable plastic for the front to go with your tail and you can repain yoru current tank.

Or, if you poke around in that photo album there is a ghastly set of ORANGE plastic that has a two piece lower set.. you tell me.

I am sure this will be a months long process to iron out ALL kinks, but I am in a time crunch and must go with what I have to start. I will go with 110 front and 112.5 rear to start. Just contacted the previous owner and he explained the odd man out needle. He bought a second set of carbs to replace a torn diaphragm and mistakenly put in the wrong needle. This was don whilst it was sitting, so it never was run this way. This explains why I used to see the bike run well. Currently soaking the old cabs to get the slides out and then I will put in the correct needle. I think my real problem will be finding the correct needle height.

Baby steps.

Archived