Corner Carver Made Me Do It

timmythecop

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Nice score. For reference, for fellow 500 fans:

Aftermarket Systems From Back in the Day

Hindle 4-1, requires a modification to stock chin cowling (a slot cut into the right side)

Kerker 4-2, paired with cylinders 1|3 and 2|4 *considered the best pairing for 4-2 systems*

Mac 4-2

SuperTrapp 4-2, equal length system (staggered mufflers)

Vance & Hines 4-2, paired with cylinders 1|2 and 3|4

Yoshimura 4-1 (Japan only) and 4-2, paired with cylinders 1|3 and 2|4 *considered the best pairing for 4-2 systems

Nice score. For reference, for fellow 500 fans:

I am going to PM you and ask you a million questions...is that OK?

also, 1.5 hunge for that full system IS a good deal, right?

• Member Contributer

Aftermarket systems for the 500's 360d V4 engine are tricky in terms of performance. Most (if not all) actually rob power over the stock system*. Of course they look nice and sound nice.

I think for a solid system $150 is a good deal so no worries.

A little more info:

• The Yoshimura and Hindle systems require the removal of the centerstand. The V&H does not (it does require an easily fabricated stop for the centerstand) .
  • Also, the Yosh system looks to have been designed for the shallower '84/'85 oil pan - not sure about the Hindle or the V&H, or if versions of the Yosh, Hindle and V&H were made specifically for the '86.

Timmy:

The Daytona has gotten to be a lot of motorcycle for these eighty year old bones. But some how when that thing clears the garage doors we can do almost anything. VFR 'people' remind me of Guzzi people, unlike any other brand mc owners. Great folks no matter how you contact them. Good fortune, R3~

• Member Contributer

only a mother could love that ..... Sorry Timmy ...

Put guzzi on craigslist at 800 bucks more than I have into it. 27 responses in 10 hours. A bidding war has broken out. Lots of mothers out there!

WOW theres are a lot mother lovers around there, ah that dont sound right. But thats great for you. Now you get see someone else riding it.

got he carbs off with a minimal amount of bloodshed. Now a good cleaning and research into start points with rejetting and on with the new boots. (I have come to the conclusion that all bikes in the known world need new boots!)

I really want to time this with the arrival of the exhaust to minimize the on-off of the carb bank. I am hoping for a miracle, so I can do it once.

• Member Contributer

Yeah I remember those days, first time was when one of the fiber fuel tubes that ran in between the carbs crack and started leaking fuel on the motor. Of course Honda replaced the plastic tubes with metal ones.

• Member Contributer

You may want to double check the numbers on the carburetors to confirm the year.

On this note all the years are slightly different with the '84/'85 having the larger bore. The emulsion tubes, needle jets and jet needles also vary over the three years. It is another puzzling (or maybe endearing?) quirk to the 500.

If thinking of rejetting keep in mind this isn't the easiest thing to do on the 500. You'll need plenty of patience and if possible a friend with an EGA.

While servicing the carbs remember to check the float height. If you don't yet have a FSM it is a must for the library shelf.

New boots & a few tricks are key to the reinstall. No hammers required!

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

Yeah and make sure the fuel tubes are metal and not plastic and if they are replace them now. Oh yeah dont loose those little springs, they are VERY important.

• Member Contributer

Yeah and make sure the fuel tubes are metal and not plastic and if they are replace them now. Oh yeah dont loose those little springs, there are VERY important.

Not 100% on this but I believe 6061 alumInum fuel tubes are only available for the larger displacement Interceptors not the 500.

• Member Contributer

Yeah and make sure the fuel tubes are metal and not plastic and if they are replace them now. Oh yeah dont loose those little springs, there are VERY important.

Not 100% on this but I believe 6061 alumInum fuel tubes are only available for the larger displacement Interceptors not the 500.

My 84 Magna was one of the first to arrive in the states, the third winter I had it I went to start it and it back fired. Didnt think anything about it, spring time arrives jump on the Magna head to the mountains, the first red light I stop at and wow the gas smell was over whelming. Look down and pant leg and it is wet, yeah you guest it gasoline. Stop and had to load it on a pickup truck. I think well I know it was caused by the winter back fire(crack one of the fuel tubes right past the oil ring). Long story made short the dealer did me a favor(HaHa) and gave me the metal fuel tubes and did me another favor by letting me install them. 6 months later Honda

did a in house recall on any V4's that developed gas leaks.

To bad there not available on 500's.

and being older and wiser....I just ordered a jet kit. The though of home-brewing all that individually different jett and needle and emulson tube for each carb made my head hurt.

• Member Contributer

and being older and wiser....I just ordered a jet kit. The though of home-brewing all that individually different jett and needle and emulson tube for each carb made my head hurt.

Take a photo of it when it arrives and post it please.

• Member Contributer

Also, on the emulsion tubes, my take is that these follow the needles. I'm not 100% on this though as I have seen a few sets with crisscrossed emulsion tubes..

jetneedlesandemulsiontubes10-20-10.jpg

84origcarbsmainjetemulsiontubes410-18-10

84origcarbsmainjetemulsiontubes110-18-10

fsmcarbschematicdwgnote10-18-10.jpg

vf500fcarbspecs08-10-10.jpg

I'd be curious to know what you find when you disassemble the set you have.

I was going to ask you about all that, so extra thanks for compiling it for me. I'll let you know how mine carbs were when I get the bowls off later today.

* it has to do with the wonderful mysterious collector box...

DSCF3985.jpg

So THAT'S whats inside there. Thanks for sharing.

It is a big heavy beast though, innit?

TImmy, that V&H 'Zorst is gonna look nice with some TLC. It seems in good nick, despite the age.

150 bucks, well, since it's unobtanium, it's worth however badly you need/want it.

Gonna have the 500 ready for Tmac? It would really like those twisty bits.

Once you get it running right, you need to figure out a wheel/fork swap so you can run radials, then sell off the old 500 bits.

Then hire Seb or Brad to paint it for you.

• Member Contributer

Don't have the numbers to compare the 500's stock system (mufflers & collector box) to an aftermarket system.

I have a hunch stock is about 130% heavier in general.

This said, the stock collector box does a good job of evening out the exhaust flow where aftermarket systems can muddle this a bit - most designed for top-end performance while sacrificing the mid-range.

Give and take like most things.

typesofengines01-12-11.jpg

The Guzzi was stuffed into a Honda Element and driven away. Timmy is, for once, up on the tally sheet.

Saw that, watery grave lol

TimmyGuzzi_zps5bc942c7.png

nothing as cool as NOS period accessories. Especialy when they cost 10 bucks

$(KGrHqJ,!rIFD1fVbTeeBRJVYE1kWw~~60_1.JP

Damn, I knew I shoulda had mine up in the classifieds!!! Anybody else need a set?? PM me <threadjack completed>

I secretly want this bike at least running well by TMac. If CornerCarver ever gets his finger out, I may not need any paint. (but i will have to sign a "No flat black" clause to seal that deal. I guess it will all depend on how well the re-jet goes. If it is anything like rejetting a SECA II, then it will be ready for TMac 2015. The carb bank is soaking in pine sol as we speak, and should be well clean in time for the new internals and exhaust.

Archived