Who Doesn't Like New Riding Gear

Graves

Took the day off to spend with my wife and ended up stopping out at Famous Footwear. Any how I walked out with a new pair of Wolverine Wilderness boots. No They aren't "labeled" as motorcycle boots but they will do the task just fine. Seen Here - http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/14484M/0/Mens/Wilderness-Wolverine-Waterproof-Hiker?dimensions=0 . As you can see they have a good amount of toe protection a bit of scuff protection on the outside and they go well above my ankle.

So now I'm in the buying mood and we decide to stop off at the BMW of Omaha motorcycle shop. They have a really nice selection of riding pants and other gear. And, since I've been looking at getting a pair of summer pants I took the plung and left with a pair of Olympia Recon 3 Mesh Tech Riding Pants Seen Here - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/908/38492/ITEM/Olympia-Recon-3-Mesh-Tech-Transformer-Pants.aspx . They're comfortable, they can zip off below the knee armor, and i figures they are better than my jeans on the pavement should that ever happen.

So on the way out my wife turns to me and says Happy birthday since the 9th is my 30th Birthday. I love that woman, she spoils me so.

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the great wife, but I would rethink the logic on the boots. Motorcycle-specific boots, especially better ones, will offer abrasion, impact AND twisting protection for your ankle - and very few to none will have laces that can (and do) catch on footpegs and shift/brake levers at the most inopportune times.

I'd strongly suggest shopping for a purpose-built solution for riding.

• Member Contributer

I bought overpants for last season so I had something to ride to and from work with. Needless to say, I feel naked if I just have jeans or pants on now.

I would also rethink the boots. I have had many a times where I almost dropped the bike because a lace got untucked and hooked on the heel guard. They are going to be better than sneakers, but that's it. The motorcycle boots will be much more comfortable, lighter, better protection, better ventilation, and no laces. A good pair of wolverine boots are in the low hundreds. I would just save up a little bit more and get proper riding boots. They're pricey, but worth it.

All Valid points on the boot, I'll give you. But, I have a piece of Velcro strap that i I slip through the tug/pull on the back of the boot. This wraps around the front to capture any laces just like 90% of the "motorcycle" boots out there that us laces. Also While a motorcycle boot is often comfortable while riding they don't offer much for walking comfort. I'm not worried about twisting an ankle with these as the support is rather good. Their not all that heavy/bulky either for a size 13/14. Yeah i have big feet. I normally were 14's but these 13's fit like a 14.

Edit: you also never see me really leaning into the corners far enough to drag my pegs. I'm just not that aggressive.

• Member Contributer

Edit: you also never see me really leaning into the corners far enough to drag my pegs. I'm just not that aggressive.

How aggressive you ride has nothing to do with how much protection you need. To each his own. I like my Oxtar/TCX boots on and off the bike.

Just glanced around on a few places. Decent selection of worthwhile boots for under $200. Handful around the $150 mark. Sidi's are still $200 to join.

Although hiking boots are comfortable, they may not be on your feet in case of an accident. I've seen several accidents where motorcyclist were shoeless, because the shoes just popped off.

Although hiking boots are comfortable, they may not be on your feet in case of an accident. I've seen several accidents where motorcyclist were shoeless, because the shoes just popped off.

I was just about to post this. Fact.

Shoes fly off first, and stay put at the scene of the crash.

Motorcycle and rider are found 300 feet further down the road/ditch/embankment.

I'll just leave this right here......

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

• Member Contributer

When I first started riding, used workboots. Even duct taping the laces didn't seem to work as I almost went down at a busy intersection as one of them somehow got locked around my shifter. Still don't know how that happened but assume Murphy was up to it. Happened once and I learned from it,, never again. My latest boots are a set of Sidi Stradas that are 13 years old. Worth every penny I paid for them, for all the reasons shared above. These members are giving you gold advice. Boots are like gloves, it's the extremities that take a lot of the hurt.

Edit add: Graves, a good set of proper boots once broken in are like slippers. No need to worry on that. Plus they are waterproof too! (Most anyways, verify!) :biggrin:

Shoot, you can get a pair of decent SIDI boots for just over $200 now...

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-fusion-boots

Ive been meaning to get a nice pair of Mc boots for several years, actually I could easily spend 3 grand on gear, but my helmet is about 7 years old, One of these years Im gonna replace it, top on the list is one of the latest Shoeis, maybe this year. Something always gets in the way and takes my money.

I'm not going to dispute the safety of "proper/Better/Safer" boots. But the truth of the it all is - to each their own. I bought something that i know i'll use that I can afford. All said, maybe in another year or so I will get a set but I'm pretty sure I've moved in the right direction here coming from Street shoes, Regular jeans, and just my Phoenix 5.0 jacket and First gear gloves + helmet for protection. I've been riding for 12 years now I'm not going to start getting scared of what might and could happen. <-- don't take any of that the wrong way. It wasn't meant to offend.

• Member Contributer

Shoot, you can get a pair of decent SIDI boots for just over $200 now...

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-fusion-boots

Ive been meaning to get a nice pair of Mc boots for several years, actually I could easily spend 3 grand on gear, but my helmet is about 7 years old, One of these years Im gonna replace it, top on the list is one of the latest Shoeis, maybe this year. Something always gets in the way and takes my money.

A good $125 helmet may be better at this point than a 7 year old lid, depending on how much you use it.

Graves, sounds like you got a good deal there....on the wife. Enjoy the gear too. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I'm not going to dispute the safety of "proper/Better/Safer" boots. But the truth of the it all is - to each their own. I bought something that i know i'll use that I can afford. All said, maybe in another year or so I will get a set but I'm pretty sure I've moved in the right direction here coming from Street shoes, Regular jeans, and just my Phoenix 5.0 jacket and First gear gloves + helmet for protection. I've been riding for 12 years now I'm not going to start getting scared of what might and could happen. <-- don't take any of that the wrong way. It wasn't meant to offend.

Good for you on upgrading your gear. I do agree with the others on getting motorcycle specific gear though. It took me 30 years of riding to progress from street clothes to leather and motorcycle specific boots and gloves. The reasons it took me so long was that I never thought about it at first and then after a few years it went to what I could afford. I was fortunate in all those years to only get a minor scrape or cut here and there. But now that I have made it to this point I can assure you I will never go back to anything less. I guess what I am trying to say is something is better than nothing so you are heading in the right direction, but if you get a chance to pick up some specific gear, go for it, you will not regret it.

A good $125 helmet may be better at this point than a 7 year old lid, depending on how much you use it.

Graves, sounds like you got a good deal there....on the wife. Enjoy the gear too. :biggrin:

My helmet is still usuable even though I bought it with the o06 vfr(post 100,000 miles ago), as far as protection, but that 125 dollars Id rather put towards the $450 shoei when the time comes, right now tires are coming to the forefront.

The helmet used to be great in the rain, its an ex400 scorpion, but it leaks like crazy and fogs in the rain now, luckily Texas has been in a drought the last few years. But the next helmet will be that Shoei.

• Member Contributer

I take every opportunity to suggest this. Scorpion dual pane visor. Works well enough in the rain. Will not fog, ever. Just a little more than a normal visor. Fits the 400, 700, 750. No idea on their new helmets.

$(KGrHqF,!g0FBlm8tFMsBQjwSR6UyQ~~60_35.J

Might be worth to see about new pads. The shell might be okay, but the inner lining could use a refresher.

My helmet is still usuable even though I bought it with the o06 vfr(post 100,000 miles ago), as far as protection, but that 125 dollars Id rather put towards the $450 shoei when the time comes, right now tires are coming to the forefront.

The helmet used to be great in the rain, its an ex400 scorpion, but it leaks like crazy and fogs in the rain now, luckily Texas has been in a drought the last few years. But the next helmet will be that Shoei.

Just curious Spud, why does Shoei brand have to be your next helmet. Depending on your head shape other brands may be better fit.

Although you may end up paying more for a helmet at a local dealer compared to online business, you will have the ability try different brands and style and may fine a good comfortable lid.

Don't be that person who tries out the product at a local retailer and walk out and order online.

I don't know what constitutes still usable helmet but usually after wearing for 2 seasons, helmet seems to grow, the lining and Styrofoam has seen its better days.

I replace my shield at least once a year, you'll be surprised how much scratches accumulate in a year use.

• Member Contributer

Being large of foot--I wear size 14, motorcycle boots that look good are protective and comfortable to ride and walk in are hard to find. If you find something that works for you go for it.

Oxtar TCS's with a Gore-TeX liner I bought from the UK are 9 years old and about 75k miles of riding on them. Kept my feet warm (relatively) dry and safe through two accidents. The first one resulted in only a sprained ankle from a BMW R1100S rider ramming his front wheel into my right ankle trying to crush it against the frame. You might think a plastic ankle joint in the boot wouldn't do much but it saved my right foot from grave damage I believe. I rode my now sold '96 home 600 miles the next day.

Nothing personal, but I wasn't leaned over but I doubt any work, hiking or hunting boot would have kept me as safe, or dry aallbthese years. Purpose built for this job goes way farther than fashion or price for me. I bring a pair of flip flops if I want a casual stroll or running shoes for a hike in a tail bag or luggage.

To each his own. This is the way that works for me...hope you never get hit or have a get off...good boots will probably work OK, not good enough for me.

Matt

I don't know what constitutes still usable helmet but usually after wearing for 2 seasons, helmet seems to grow, the lining and Styrofoam has seen its better days.

I replace my shield at least once a year, you'll be surprised how much scratches accumulate in a year use.

Just curious Spud, why does Shoei brand have to be your next helmet. Depending on your head shape other brands may be better fit.

Although you may end up paying more for a helmet at a local dealer compared to online business, you will have the ability try different brands and style and may fine a good comfortable lid.

Don't be that person who tries out the product at a local retailer and walk out and order online.

As far as shoei, the old x11, x12 did not fit me, the new 1100's seems to fit, Im mainly after weight savings , which costs money and better venting in the heat. Shoei is just the best thing Ive tried on. Mines not growing anything, Ive washed the liner once . I luv when I wear my dirt helmet, they lighter weight is instantly felt on the neck. Course the shoei just a few ounces lighter than the scorpion.

• Member Contributer

Graves - congrats on the gear. I agree with everyone though, I took a side hit last year and my ankle/boot took the brunt of the force from a car that turned into me. I, like you used to just wear boots but upgraded to a pair of riding boots. Thankfully the ankle protector protected me as it should have and I was spared any damage. It's not you you have to worry about, it's the other idiots!

Either way, safe riding and have fun! Oh and good job with the wife!

• Member Contributer

As far as shoei, the old x11, x12 did not fit me, the new 1100's seems to fit, Im mainly after weight savings , which costs money and better venting in the heat. Shoei is just the best thing Ive tried on. Mines not growing anything, Ive washed the liner once . I luv when I wear my dirt helmet, they lighter weight is instantly felt on the neck. Course the shoei just a few ounces lighter than the scorpion.

I replaced my 8 yr old 1000 with the 1100 last year. After that amount of time with a non-removable liner, heat, sweat and sun I just didn't trust it still had the same safety margin, and the liner was falling apart. I was fortunate and had the funds to get the 1100 but prior I had been trying everything to see what would fit. I had a KBC VR2 a long time ago I picked up for $99, if I had found something similar I would have gone with that. The 1100 is a good helmet and has some improvements on the 1000, but better venting also means more noise. It's a good helmet and if that's all that fits you then it's worth every penny, but there are better values out there for the $ if you can find one that fits.

Yeah, Value is not at the top of the list, or Id stay with scorpion. Actually one of the reasons I prefer the shoei over the Arai, is the aria I looked at had a cheaper looking helmet strap, the scorpion has a better one which a comfort designed area, also I like the shield notching levels on the shoei compared to the aria. For a Top line helmet it ought to have the best of everything, I think a case were the name regonition Alone, can get them away with short cutting certain areas, and maintaing a high price. But weight is at the top of the list, and $450 is about the limit, I dont think Ive ever paid over $200 for a helmet

• Member Contributer

Oddly enough, my SO, dad, and I all got scorpions because they were the only ones that fit our head shape. We tried almost every helmet at the bike show (and almost everyone was there). Not disappointed though. Honestly, I think they have the most comfortable inner lining material. All the other ones felt rough and scratchy.

• Member Contributer

Oddly enough, my SO, dad, and I all got scorpions because they were the only ones that fit our head shape. We tried almost every helmet at the bike show (and almost everyone was there). Not disappointed though. Honestly, I think they have the most comfortable inner lining material. All the other ones felt rough and scratchy.

Although my RF-1000 is lighter, I have three different Scorpion helmets, and EXO-700 that I don't wear anymore since it's over 5 years old, an EXO-400, and an EXO-900 flip up. I think they are great value in a quality helmet. Just wish they were lighter weight...

• Member Contributer

These are the newest version of my riding boot from Sportsman's Guide. Mine have four straps up the side rather than the two shown here with a larger wrap at the top. Every now and then these go cheap. I got mine for $65 and I've had them for about four years with very little to show for wear. Shifter patch, padded shin area, You can crank it down tight with the straps, and you don't look like a fool wearing them around with jeans. I love 'em! Just search their web site for motorcycle boots and they have a wide variety.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/mens-chippewa-vibram-12-rally-motorcycle-boots-black.aspx?a=334985

Archived