94 Cafe Project

Guest chizzie

Guest chizzie

I've always loved the modern cafe style look, and feel like this bike would pull it off great. I know the direction I want to go, just not sure the best way to get there. I created a quick design in photoshop, and was hoping to get some input on how I can achieve the look I'm going for. I'm no expert, so any and all feedback is welcome. I found the original image on Speedzilla, I just photoshoped the RS125 tail on the back.

Here's what I'm starting with: 94 VFR750, mostly stock, 25k miles!

vfr4_zps87ae2048.jpg

vfr5_zpsd7c2ffd6.jpg

And here's a quick photoshop of how I would like the overall bike to look: RS125 tail, single round HID headlight, lower bars...

Seat_zpsa9f29da6.jpg

I'm currently selling everything on the bike ( All plastics, lights, 2 brothers exhaust, corbin seat, ect ), PM me if your interested. The fairings are in amazing condition, only damage is a small scratch on the underside tail section which you can see in one of the pics.

The strip down starts this weekend, along with ordering a couple parts. I still need to decide which RS125 tail I want to go with ( I've heard mixed reviews about the manufactures ), and also the headlight.

Hope y'all enjoy!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

6hello and welcome to VFRD from across the pond

the v4 engine not the nicest for a a naked bike but it is what you want, go for it and keep us posted

please read the rules on selling here on vfrd, please post in the for sale section with prices

• Member Contributer

That is a really nice stock bike. Looks in beautiful condition. Almost unfortunate that it's being converted instead of a wreck, but the plastics will be going to a good home.

Good luck. Like Dutchy said, it's not an easy bike to make look good naked. So where's the build thread?

• Member Contributer

Just a note from a guy who did a similar conversion to a YZF750R once(twice). I would recommend that you keep all the parts you remove. The bike is a surviver and looks to be in great shape. You may want to return it to the "stock" look someday when you get bored. I converted my bike back and forth a couple of times and loved that it had that option within a day of wrenching. I also never say never so selling the bike in the future is a possibility and having that flexibility adds huge value to the bike. I really like to look you are going for and it will turn out to be a real head turner but options are very nice to have. Just my two cents from experience. Enjoy!

• Member Contributer

I would say the exhaust is not stock since it's on the left side. Good luck with your project, but I for one hate to see a well preserved VFR taken apart.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The bike is beautiful as it sits right now stock, but it's just not for me.

Also I'll be posting up all the parts in the classified section as soon as I get a list going, PM me if your interested in anything for now until I get the ad up this weekend.

This will be a slow build thread, right now I'm just trying to figure out the overall look, then I'll be gathering all the parts and start the build.

Heres a quick pshop of the exhaust I'm going for, also might pshop up a belly pan on it. The radiator will be mounted on the side, and the coolant res. will be removed for a smaller aftermarket one.

ExhaustandBellypan_zps3fd0e1ef.jpg

• Member Contributer

My bike had the exhaust separated before the third joiner in the triple tree when I got it, it was, uh, rough running and /really/ loud. I actually looked around a lot before I found a spare exhaust system to change it back to 4-2-1. There's something about matching exhaust pulses that Honda understands better than whoever cut apart the exhaust before I got it. Also, these guys here are great for info, they might give you a little ribbing for taking apart a 'good' bike, but they'll still do their best to help you out with what you want to do. It's pretty rare to find a site this supportive.

I'd offer some tips on the build, but my bike probably isn't the one you want to build yours like. I literally just used what I had sometimes (which wasn't much). I did build it to match how I want to ride though, ended up a bit strange. I probably have one of the few naked bikes that you could really tour with. Full dash (Acewell something or other), throttle lock, auto chain oiler, reliable solid state r/r, LED main and auxiliary lighting. My seat was raked up like that when I got the bike. I found that a lower and flatter seat was much more comfortable to me and matched the café style visually a little better too. Just swapped out my rear for a 8 spoke w/ a 180 a couple months (and couple thousand miles ago) and that was a great change. The suspension is a bit more than I want to dive (haha, get it, dive, suspension. . . yeah, sorry, anyway) into right now with no garage, but it'll probably be next on my list of upgrades.

I found a nice aluminum Coke bottle that makes a great reservoir replacement (there's a Rum and Coke bottle thats very similar and slightly larger that would probably work even better). My oil cooler is down behind the front wheel (I've seen it bypassed on a naked VFR 750 as well). The radiator I actually have a hard time convincing people is the stock piece sometimes. I'll probably look for something narrower when (if) it fails. I wouldn't side mount mine, but that's because I have a tendency to set it down w/o the kickstand sometimes. It's actually been over 3 times in the 2 years or so I've had it. One of the great things about no plastic is none of them have ever been damaged. The extent of the bikes injuries were a broken mirror lens, stalk, and a blinker lens then fell off. Oh, my brake lever bent once too. It helps if you're not moving when you drop it.

That got a bit longer than I meant it too, but basically, have fun, ride safe and ask all the questions you can possibly think of.

• Member Contributer

I am always a fan of naked style bike conversions (some more than others of course) and am in the middle of converting my 4th Gen. Although I can understand why some people hate to see a nice VFR converted, I bought a clean 4th gen with the intention of selling parts and having that fund part of my build... and to my surprise it has worked out quite well :)

There is a lot of good info on this site and make sure to do your homework. If I could give any advice I would first ask a few questions. Do you have a lot of experience tinkering/modifying bikes? And how soon would you like to have it on the road after the project? I only ask as a bit of a caution... these projects can really escalate and every modification seems to result in 5 more things to modify or change. If you aren't new to this... please disregard my comments, just trying to help a fellow naked VFR fan out! Good luck with the project!

I will definitely be asking questions when things come up. Luckily I have great friends with tons of experience modifying cars/bikes etc. I have access to a welder, have tons of tools at home, and not in a huge rush to get this bike finished.

I appreciate all the input so far, I've ran into a couple VFR owners around my town and they all recommend hoping online because the community that follows these bikes are very helpful.

I'm looking forward to getting this bike on the road and just enjoying the mountain roads in my backyard!

• Member Contributer

You wrote you'd ditch the coolant overflow bottle. You could just paint it black. with a thin vertical line left blank , so you can check the level.

• Member Contributer

On the coolant res, a Aluminium bottle/can would look cool. Solder on the inlet and outlets, add brackets and leave it raw to match the other Alu parts. Looks like the oil cooler could easily be relocated below the radiator with a few brackets as well (heat shield may be needed). OK, you got me going on this project. Wish I was digging in on this one!

Yeah I might end up just painting it black and leaving a small line to check the level, that's a great idea thanks! Eventually I'd like to find something smaller and with a cleaner look, and still have the ability to check the levels visually. I'm sure there's something online, I just need to find it.

The exhaust is by a company called Moto Creations and it came off a Duc M1100. I'd really like to get that exact look, hopefully I can order the tips through them and just have some pipes ran back. We'll see, I'm not really worried about that right now, that'll be way down the road.

Sell this good bike so that someone has a good stock model they can appreciate. Find one in need of TLC - THEN do the mods you are planning.

Sorry to come across mean. I know it is your bike and your choice, so I respect that. The issue I have is these things are getting harder to find in good stock condition. It sickens me to see a perfectly good bike ruined, especially one that will in 5-10 years time be recognised as a modern classic. I think we all know that values will go up.

Just my opinion. Not flaming. I like the mods you're planning, just not to this bike :)

The bike is currently for sale as a whole, but my patients are running out. I originally wanted to do this transformation to a HawkGT but couldn't find a nice solid base to do this build on. I looked for months for a HawkGT close by, then expanded my search to the neighboring states and had no luck.

I came across a picture on google of a naked VFR and thought I could work with it. I found this bike not running, it was sitting in a warehouse for at least a year I'm guessing, got it running and that's where we're at now...

I would love to see this go to a good owner who would appreciate it for what it is, but it's been up for sale for over a month and I haven't even got a decent offer. These fairings are going to good homes though, with this build there will be 5 more very clean VFR's on the road and my crazy creation!

• Member Contributer

Nice photoshopping! Curious how you'll handle battery placement, rear brake booster etc. I saw a naked ST1300 that in my mind failed miserably as it lost all sense of elegance, but admittedly probably was a monster to ride.

http://motorider.info/pictures/nakedst1300/photos/photo2.html

Your treatment looks a lot more palatable. Good luck.

• Member Contributer
The bike is currently for sale as a whole, but my patients are running out. I originally wanted to do this transformation to a HawkGT but couldn't find a nice solid base to do this build on. I looked for months for a HawkGT close by, then expanded my search to the neighboring states and had no luck.

I came across a picture on google of a naked VFR and thought I could work with it. I found this bike not running, it was sitting in a warehouse for at least a year I'm guessing, got it running and that's where we're at now...

I would love to see this go to a good owner who would appreciate it for what it is, but it's been up for sale for over a month and I haven't even got a decent offer. These fairings are going to good homes though, with this build there will be 5 more very clean VFR's on the road and my crazy creation!

Where is the ad for this bike as a whole? I really don't want to see it modded and will find another 4th gen for your project as part of the purchase price of this bike.

Shoot me a pm

• Member Contributer
Do you know what exhaust you have on there? It's not a 2bros system. Might be a SBS LH

You sure it's not a TBR left-exit, low-mount? The only pic I have of one (on my Website) is from the wrong angle, but it looks like it could be the same...

Ciao,

Archived