94 Cafe Project

Guest chizzie

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got finished removing and looping the oil cooler. All I did was remove the 2 hard lines, cut them leaving about 3/4 of an inch on each side so that the hose clamps has something to grip, then used a high temp oil cooler line and looped it behind the headers.

My only concern would be the headers melting the hose, its about a 1/4 inch from the headers, I may have to pick up some header wrap to keep them a cooler. I wrapped the high temp oil hose with plastic electrical cover for now to see how quick the headers have an effect on it, I'll remove it later.

I also relocated 2 & 4 coil up under the tank and screwed them into the plastic shroud under there. Now that I look at it, I was wondering if this will work only because the 2 screws holding them down are mounted to the plastic shroud not any metal. Will that make any difference since it looks like they serve some sort of electrical or ground purpose, or is it strictly for holding them in place?

Also I'm not totally sure how to go about removing the stock clip ons? I have them unbolted so they are loose now, but can't slide them up and out from the top of the forks because it gets stuck on the adjuster.. Can I pry them open a little with breaking them to get them off?

5C84F187-D62B-43B6-AE26-B1B1C3E31BFC-342

E640FF9F-1570-4CFC-83CB-588484DAD898-342

B32236BF-ACA1-420B-9BCC-63C211CA1600-342

D8885E4B-972D-487F-9508-1B16E4F33C97-342

5D6E17DF-793F-45A3-9192-B3A8792F9508-342

yeah, i wouldn't ride it with that hose next to the headers. thats sketchy.

the honda oil cooler lines are 10mm diameter.

you need to get a couple of 10mm compression elbows, and use some of the tubing left that you cut off the bike, and connect them together using hard lines.

http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_products_home.aspx?part=SS-10M0-9&item=

SS-12M0-9.jpg

the oil cooler lines on mine just the rubber hose but with some heat sheild sleeve over it it has been trouble free for the last 10000ks , even a few skids with hot pipes and no air flow havent caused any concern so far

keep up the good work will be watching this thread for sure

the oil cooler lines on mine just the rubber hose but with some heat sheild sleeve over it it has been trouble free for the last 10000ks , even a few skids with hot pipes and no air flow havent caused any concern so far

keep up the good work will be watching this thread for sure

Thanks and congrats to you on the cover!

Also I'm not totally sure how to go about removing the stock clip ons? I have them unbolted so they are loose now, but can't slide them up and out from the top of the forks because it gets stuck on the adjuster.. Can I pry them open a little with breaking them to get them off?

There is a wire circlip on each fork that stops the clip-on from sliding off - you can see it in your pic. Remove that :beer:

Not much done in the past couple days. Been cleaning up the wiring and getting my sub frame figured out.

Before I went out and bought a set of 41mm clip ons with no rise, I tried to mount the stock clip ons under the triple, but for those of you who have already tried that... it doesn't work :)

Also started making some simple turn signal brackets for the front forks. I picked up some 1/8" x 1" alum stock from HD. I think they turned out pretty nice, I didn't take a picture of the final products, but here's some during the making.

85B2169D-E3DD-4F25-BFD2-FF6C2EEAC67F-464

53FF2C63-4B3F-4AEC-9F75-4230FF6369EF-464

F2A4D0D7-C99D-4415-8B95-7F250FB76A9F-464

• Member Contributer

Ummm... You're not going to have a low-beam cut-off with that as a headlight, are you? It's not nice (or safe) to blind oncoming drivers...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I know your clutch cover is pretty clean, but have you thought about a clear one? On your naked bike, I think that would just look the tops!

I know your clutch cover is pretty clean, but have you thought about a clear one? On your naked bike, I think that would just look the tops!

Yeah definitely on the list of things to do, just have to finish up a few things first and get a little extra cash.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been curious what my TBR system cost back in the day brand new. its been getting a lot of attention lately and I haven't seen anyone with the full TBR system either left or right exit.

I know right exit full TBR systems are alittle more common, how much do those go for when they pop up?

• Member Contributer

The last TBR full system went for $550. I thought it was a bit high since the mid pipe was bent and a rashed can.

I bought a TBR full SS for a 98 for a bit more than that, and they are a dozen times more rare (not for sale, no PMs please).

Headers alone normally sell around $450-$500, depending on market.

• Member Contributer

While the TBR systems are rare, the debate as to whether they are any good for a street bike is still open.

My son has a left exit TBR on his 3rd gen and it is the main reason we bought that bike to resurrect rather than a different one.

I hope to perform a dyno test soon to quantify what a larger diameter header does and doesn't do for mid range power/torque and at what RPM does it start making more power than a stock, cat-less header.

I have been shopping some sites for what comparable full header systems go for today but quality varies widely.

That being said, it is pretty cool as far bling factor goes.

While the TBR systems are rare, the debate as to whether they are any good for a street bike is still open.

My son has a left exit TBR on his 3rd gen and it is the main reason we bought that bike to resurrect rather than a different one.

I hope to perform a dyno test soon to quantify what a larger diameter header does and doesn't do for mid range power/torque and at what RPM does it start making more power than a stock, cat-less header.

An OzVFR mate has a TBR left-exit system on his 4th Gen and he reports that midrange suffers. Which makes sense, the TBR is a 4-1 system and they are generally all about top end power.

I have an Indigo system which is 4-2-1, haven't tested it yet but would expect that it would be great for midrange at the expense of top end:

8514799600_e7c5f68dc8_o.jpg

PS - love the look of the bike!

Archived