94 Cafe Project

Guest chizzie

Wiring has been such a huge headache, I still haven't had any luck getting fuel, oil pressure, temp, speed, tach or anything important to register. I have both diagrams, from what it looks like, I'm connecting the right wires together, but still nothing registers except illumination, turn & high beam indicators

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started the bike up for the first time in a while today. Couldn't take it for a spin yet, but while up on the rear stand I put it in first to test the speedo. While the wheel was spinning, I noticed that the tire was rubbing the swing arm. Am I supposed to be running a spacer with the 3rd gen 8 spoke on a 94? It has 180 tire, which I've read is the right size for the 5.5" rim.

I'm just really hoping it's not bent because I traded my 5 spoke for this one...

• Member Contributer

Hi Chizzie, I have an 8 spoker with a 180 PR2 on my 4th gen and it is not rubbing.

There is not a ton of space, I had to relocate the Scotoiler tubing though. That one was rubbing after the swap.

Will see if I can take a few shots today

• Member Contributer

here a shot

taken from below, you see the front part of the wheel (and the Scotoiler tube I had to move a bit)

post-8974-0-02007600-1362993849.jpg

• Member Contributer

Some tires really vary in width and profile... though I haven't heard of 180 tires on 3rd gen wheels rubbing 4th gen swingarms, I suppose it's possible your tire is just that little bit wider. I believe both dutchy and I are running 180 PR2's on 8 spoke wheels without issue. I know some people used to shave a little off the edge to fit wider tires on their smaller displacement bikes... though I don't know if this is a great idea. The end of this project isn't being very cooperative is it? Sorry man.

The wheel was straight, but just to play it safe I went with a 170 tire and there is plenty of room now. I'll probably run a 180 soon, once I get some extra cash and I know there aren't any rubbing issues.

The tire I had on before was at the end of its life, it wasn't fully inflated either so that could have been why it was rubbing also.

F94BA85A-DF4A-4743-BB58-898D97147F11-435

Ballistic evo2 came in! The thing is super light and compact!!

Have to get a new mid pipe ran for the Tyga can, bleed the brakes, and run some longer battery cables and it'll be back on the road!

Quality pics coming soon!

I have some pretty upsetting news. While out to dinner with my girlfriend this weekend, her car was side swiped, probably by a drunk driver! The person didn't stop, so were working with the surrounding businesses to see if any of their cameras caught anything. It's not totaled, but it needs a bunch of work. Between the two of us, it was our only mode of transportation. We both work and go to school full time, so we need it up and running asap. We have a family friend who owns a body shop that will discount some of the work. He's working on an full estimate right now, but from a quick look he said it'll be upwards of $2000. We decided to pay for it out of pocket because her insurance is already super high from her previous record. We're taking some cash from a savings we had for a move in the fall to SF, and the rest of it is unfortunately coming from the bike. The bike is 90% complete, I'm pretty sad that I didn't get a chance to enjoy it much on the road, but right now we need the cash more than the bike. I'll be writing a formal for sale ad this week once I figure out what I have into it. I still plan on working on the bike until it sells so I'll be around, but I just wanted to say thanks for all the help and support throughout the build! Sometimes life just isn't fair, but I'll have plenty more opportunities to build my dream bike later down the road... Right now this is how the bike sits, it really doesn't need much work at all. The bike runs great, it's super loud with the exhaust off, but it starts right up. 4D44D930-7647-4C8F-96B2-2189CC252499-133FB2A03DA-90A5-45A5-BBB0-3429E8B73B3C-1331189DFEC-D7E8-42EB-A329-703459F0DDA4-1333FED27B9-9AD9-47B8-A241-2394517D9561-1336B2E7461-37DD-47D8-8150-611A9CC380F6-133

Drive the car with dents. Fix it later on when you can afford to. Maybe even buy some good, non-dented parts from the junkyard and bolt them on yourself. Who cares if it's the wrong colour.

Worry about paint and pretty later.

Park the bike and put the project on hold temporarily.

There are always options.

I'm sorry to great about the car and the bike, but at least she wasn't in the car or worse. Materials possessions can be fixed or replaced.

Sent from my handheld-sending-thing...

• Member Contributer

I'd sell that rust bucket in one of the pictures......

If you were planning on building and selling it from the start, then now it probably as good a time (or occasion) as ever.

If not, then why not ride with dents, as long as it is safe.

Put out your price that will make you happy and see if it flies...

If you really love this bike and your GF loves you, she will support you and tell you to keep the bike.... (devil's advocate here.. )

• Member Contributer

Unfinished projects usually do not fetch a lot of money... You'd be better off selling the parts separately.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Very sorry to hear the news... glad to hear your girl is ok. I very much understand how hard it must be to part with your project but respect you for making this kind of tough decision. My wife rolled her car in a snow storm this winter and we was almost in the same boat. I hope it all works out for you guys.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I had some time today, well I skipped class today lol, but I had the exhaust welded up and took it on a much needed long ride through the hills by me! It idles a little rough, but I'm assuming its because it hasn't been ridden for a few months, other than that the bike ran great! It sounds amazing with the exhaust all finished up, I'll try and get a video up soon!

For those who haven't read my recent posts, I'm in a tough spot right now, long story, but basically the bike has to go. I have it posted for sale in the classified section for those who are interested. $3500

5E7FECE7-D0C8-41A0-9E46-EFDEEA80A830-315
97F49211-3916-47A4-854B-522B4AD916CA-315
EC40C24F-3EAC-406F-98EA-D3BF292A78AE-315
322C7AA4-2833-427B-9E13-5EA6A28E19C5-315
9C325E2C-64FC-47FA-AA63-2DAB378314B7-315
42336C7C-3F46-497B-840B-0C44F3F8712E-315
1D1CA810-9A30-4DF2-8653-7D9BB3AE0F0A-315
8AB99975-051F-48E7-A66E-674C39053409-315

Like I said, drive the car dented, and fix it yourself over time.

Used parts from the pick 'n pull or Craigslist. There is gold out there if you look.

Surely you can pull a couple of rabbits out of a few hats and avoid selling the bike.

Park it and quit spending money on the bike, and keep it for later.

You will regret it, I promise. The car is an appliance.

Archived