HELP!! Should I trade in my bike at the stealership?!

Guest Clocktimer

Guest Clocktimer

OK so I know I have not done much to contribute around here but I have certainly gained some good knowledge here. I guess I just have not had any serious problems with my 84 VF700F since I purchased it used last year for $700.

Well I am in a pickle now... and I don't want no pickle....

Anyways. I made the mistake of stopping by the dealership and seen a good price on a used 2003 Buell Lightning. I always wanted a Buell in high school but I knew I would kill myself on a motorcycle up until last summer. I just was not mature enough to not take all those unnecessary risks and to pay close enough attention.

So the dealership will give me $750 for it and that is $50 more than I spent however the bike is worth so much more to me. It has been a good bike. Completely reliable and I have even neglected some maintenance on it. Truth is all my free time goes to riding and I don't want to wrench on it or even have it tied up in the shop. That is the reason why I think the Buell would be a good fit for me. Most reviews I read said you check the oil and go for the most part. However these are just reviews.

I don't know what to do. My bike needs the front forks rebuilt, oil changed, head gaskets because of smallish oil leak, rear brake pads, and a new tire. I was going to do these things eventually. I have shamefully not even completed the oil mod yet.

So what should I do? Should I keep a bike that is nearly 30 years old and do the fixing that needs fixed or should I go for the ten year old Buell that has 11,XXX miles on it and from what I can tell needs nothing right now?

Please help.

I say keep the bike AND get a new one! I certainly understand what you're saying... I've developed a ridiculously strong bond with my bike. I don't think I've ever loved an inanimate object like this :tongue:

This would be ideal as my lovely wife will not be riding on the Buell the seat is too small for anyone! I know how lame this sounds, but I don't have the $750 it is going to take to keep her. In a few months I will and then regret it if I do go through with it but I also think this is a decent price for the Buell lightning and I don't want it to get away.

Thank you for the response.

• Member Contributer

If you donot have $750 to keep her, I would reconsider buying a motorcycle in the first place....

unless the mc is your sole mode of transport.

Build up some financial buffer 1st instead of living -what sounds like- hand to mouth to feed a hobby

Sounds like the Buell has got you looking through rosey tinted glasses, but there will always be another steal... :tour:

my 2 cents....

If you donot have $750 to keep her, I would reconsider buying a motorcycle in the first place....

unless the mc is your sole mode of transport.

Build up some financial buffer 1st instead of living -what sounds like- hand to mouth to feed a hobby

Sounds like the Buell has got you looking through rosey tinted glasses, but there will always be another steal... :tour:

my 2 cents....

Yes sir you give good sound advice. We have been much better with our money and our debt is nearly paid off. This was a premature celebration and reward. Not the most sensible thing to do and I knew that all along. Perhaps I should just wait.... I don't want to though.... So hard.

This may be a thread hijack (sorry!) but I've read quite a few posts about bikes people let go and now regret. I wonder how many people here had the experience of chasing something younger and hotter only to find they eventually miss the last girl bike.

This may be just me but I usually only regret the chances i don't take. This way of thinking also gets me into trouble at times, but still I do not regret the choices that lead to mistakes.

• Member Contributer

I would hold off for now if I were you.

Assuming that you have developed an imotional attachmentn to the VFR, where are you going to find another one for $750?

Buells aren't exactly getting more expensive. Wait, save up and then buy what you want.

Save up and buy a newer VFR. You will be glad you did. Do some research on Buell. HD didn't pull the plug on these for no reason. I've ridden some Buells and hated them. They shake waaay too much. I like a very smooth motor and the Buell is not that. Keep the VFR you have. Improve it over time. If you are going to sell, make it pretty and sell it during the riding season = now. Sell it via Craigslist, etc.. Overall, be patient. In the bigger picture, I doubt that a $3200 expenditure is a good idea for you right now. Get your debt down to zero except for a house payment if you have one. Save up and pay cash for your bikes.

• Member Contributer

^ +1 ^

It isn't hard to find buells in the 3-4k range, so there is no need to buy now. And I don't think 750 for your VFR is much of gift either. It it were me, I'd fix what I have, enjoy riding it in the meantime, and sell it when it's good for you. Plus, your bike is worth more than 750 to you, as stated in your OP.

It just doesn't make sense to spend 3200 to save 750.

A little Devil's advocate here:

If you have not taken the time to fix the problems with your 700, what makes you think you will have the time to fix a buell?

If you have ever ridden with a friend who owns a Buell, you will know to stay far away if you enjoy riding.

If you like wrenching on a bike the Buel will be all that for you and more.

Tightening loose bolts will be your new hobby.

Our riding group finally asked this one guy to stop riding with us.

It was always something.

Exhaust hanger fell off. Exhaust strap broke off.

The fender bolts fell out.

Always something on every ride... It never ran out of gas though.

Because it would break before it needed gas.

• Member Contributer

Buying a bike doesn't seem like the better alternative of just maintaining my current bike which has been treating me well. You're going to have to do the same things to that bike down the road. Plus you don't know what condition things are in. Maybe it needs steering head bearings and the forks redone. Now you're in the same boat. Brake pads, tires, and oil changes are regular maintenance for all bikes.

Take a weekend out. Do the brake pads, get a new tire. Still plenty of time for riding with that. Do another weekend where you rebuild the forks or have someone do them for you. Take another weekend, change the head gasket and oil. Shouldn't be too big of a job once you have the parts. In a month you could have everything fixed on the bike and still have time to go out and ride.

I can see both sides of the argument here:

-Your VFR is a great bike but older and needs work that you might not be willing (or able) to do on your own.

-The Buell is a newer bike, a dream bike for you, and as far as you know is ready to roll as-is.

I'm in the camp that says keep the VFR for now and get it to 100%, especially if your wife enjoys riding with you; as you said above, she won't ride the Buell. There will be decent deals on used Buells for years to come.

I know where you're coming from on the trade vs. repair thing. My VFR needs work, mostly routine maintenance, and while I'd love to replace it with one of my dream bikes, it's a helluva lot cheaper to fix up what I have, especially considering the money already invested in it to mod the bike to my liking. It's a known quantity and has only let me down once.

On the other hand, the chance to obtain a dream bike at an affordable price is hard to pass up. I wouldn't blame you if you went for it. Many folks on bike model-specific forums are biased toward those machines, which is one reason you've gotten a lot of 'keep the VFR' responses so far. Well, that and they ARE terrific bikes! But there are so many great bikes, I can't imagine owning only one kind forever.

Basically, follow your head and your heart in equal measures on this one, and I bet you'll make the right decision! :wink:

The VFR needs some work, but it's a known quantity to you.

The Buell is more or less unknown, but you can bet it will need work too.

Especially if it's one of the HD engine bikes.

Money is tight, this would be a stretch, it sounds like.

The woman will ride the VFR, but not the Buell. Two strikes there.

So logically, you should probably keep the VFR and spend a few bucks and some time on VFR maintenance.

Even though you have wood for the Buell, you'll be better off in the long run.

I would not discount the possibility the Buell will be a money pit either.

Otoh, if you are a painter and need to shake up paint cans frequently, it might be your bike. :goofy:

Finally, you usually get more money by selling to a private party. But you have to do a little more work.

Buying from a private party, usually costs less, but more work, maybe a little more risk.

Good luck. :fing02:

I am going to say: Keep your VFR!

We are speaking from exsperiance here!

Put some money into your bike so she is reliable & safe!

Lastly, A happy Wife is the Key to a Happy Life!

If SHE likes to ride with you? Then forget the buell!

You can get a nice used 5th gen for $3200, with farkles!!!

Just sayin.....

Sounds like another thumbs down on Proposition Buell. :unclesam:

• Member Contributer

being a honda tech and a guy who custom builds HDs and buells..

keep your vfr.. save up and build your DREAM buell!!!

a little at a time and you will be shocked at what you can do.

as for a buell tearing itself apart.. possible if you dont do it right...or your mechanic is a moron ...

last year i built up a buell with a ohlins forks, duc SSSA and triumph wheels, 916 body work (REAR SEAT!!!)

aaaaallllllllllllll for $3700 :fing02:

i just bought a buell xb 12 engine for my bike.. only cost me $900. :happy:

last year i built up a buell with a ohlins forks, duc SSSA and triumph wheels, 916 body work (REAR SEAT!!!)

aaaaallllllllllllll for $3700 :fing02:

i just bought a buell xb 12 engine for my bike.. only cost me $900. :happy:

Does the bigger engine just bolt in to any xb frame? Do you have build pictures? This is an interesting option and kind of like financing as I can buy and build as I have money. My only concern is sometimes my projects don't get finished. I know everyone has to have an idea how that goes at times.

As for everyone else you are all correct. This is too much of a stretch and I am being blinded by new and shiny and making emotional decisions. I am over it. I will roll the VF a while longer. It will never be all that I want as I am wanting more HP, better handling, and less weight. It should just get fixed and then sold to the next guy that needs a starter bike at an affordable price like I did.

I do want a 5th gen someday.

as for a buell tearing itself apart.. possible if you dont do it right...or your mechanic is a moron ...

Those stupid mechanics at the factory... Eric Buell must hire Morons!

That is the conclusion since he had two Buells and both were new. The only difference was the color, one Blue and one White.

Both came apart while riding.

Has nothing to do with a crappy V-twin rattling the parts right off of it or the vibration from the five gallon paint cans breaking brackets.

• Member Contributer

Those stupid mechanics at the factory... Eric Buell must hire Morons!

That is the conclusion since he had two Buells and both were new. The only difference was the color, one Blue and one White.

Both came apart while riding.

Has nothing to do with a crappy V-twin rattling the parts right off of it or the vibration from the five gallon paint cans breaking brackets.

Eric buell didn't assemble the bike at your shop.. nore did he do safety checks on your bike after you bought it..You DO check your vfr right? Every bike has had some glitchs.. just ask every vfr owner about a R/R problem... bbuells had wimpy mufler clamps (OMG!!!!!!)Its a BUELL aka a HARLEY what do you expect???? If you want the most awesome flawless V twin in the world.. you get a RC51Don't even THINK about a ducati...The dude likes what he likes. :)

• Member Contributer

I waited 28 years for my VF1000R, they just get harder to find every year....still wish I had my Vf500...and my Karman Ghia and........

• Member Contributer

Don't forget that all Buells were selling for about $0.35 on the $1.00 befre Harley announced they were being orphaned. For that reason there should ALWAYS be a good deal on used Buells just around the corner.

Archived