What chain do you recommend?

Guest Evers

• Member Contributer

IMO the best chain is from DID. I've used lots of different kinds and the DID seem to last the longest. JMO of course and no real hard data to back it up.

• Member Contributer

DID X-ring Pro, but U can do a search here for more info and opinions.

BR

Definitely interested in following this thread.

I have a RK chain on my 2004 that was on it when I bought it used.

I have no idea how many miles it has on it total, but I have put over 17,000 miles on it since I bought it.

The chain shows no signs of needing replacement and I figured since this one has done so well, I would replace it with the same thing when a new chain is needed.

Some discussion will be welcome.

Its only specific DID chains, some of their stuff is no better than anyone elses.

The DID vm 530 xring is an oem+ level chain, but they are no longer made, you can still find them on Amazon .com. But the only option is to upgrade to the ZVM530 chain , but more expensive.

What DID did for a Low end option, is they combined the standard oring and the xring, and called it a VXX, but the chain has smaller plating, so while cheaper, I doubt the life will be as good as the VM530 or the ZVM530

So if going DID you'd want the VM or ZVM

Get the heaviest most expensive 530 chain you can find with the highest tensile strength, rated for 1400cc bikes. The half pound you save with a light chain won't pay off very well if you have to buy two of them.

Skip a sandwich and lose the half pound where it counts!

Cheap chains are cheap for a reason. Beef up and save money in the long run.

I've only run RK and DID and been pleased with both. I don't keep fastidious mileage records though. I just buy the best and run em till they drop.

I think I have had 3 chains in 80,000 kilometers, including the OEM.

If I remember correctly. Hopefully I'm not on crack.

17,000 miles on each, but the one I have isn't worn out yet, so more on the first two I guess???? Does that should plausible? I really should write this stuff down I guess.....

Did anyone see the race last week where the chain came off? ........... They said one of the side plates broke in half........ not sure which race it was...

Ok thank you for this info. Found some 530 chains on eBay but not as a kit unfortunately. So... wich sprockets should I use. And maybe the most important thing... do I need special tools to fit it?

I've a big collection professional tools to work on my cars but I can imagine that I need a special piece of tool for the chain.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?d21nz3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Ok thank you for this info. Found some 530 chains on eBay but not as a kit unfortunately. So... wich sprockets should I use. And maybe the most important thing... do I need special tools to fit it?

I've a big collection professional tools to work on my cars but I can imagine that I need a special piece of tool for the chain.

---

Depends on whether you're buying a chain with a clip-type master link or a peened on master link. IMO the peened master link is the better idea. With the peened master link you have to press the link together and then peen the connecting pins over so the side plate can't come off. They make a special tool for that and you'll also need to measure or assess the head of the pin after peening for correct size. Some guys have had luck actually peening the pins with a hammer, but YMMV. The tool is fairly expensive and specialized so you don't really use it for anything else.

In any event I recommend the peened master link. JMO of course.

Get the heaviest most expensive 530 chain you can find with the highest tensile strength, rated for 1400cc bikes. The half pound you save with a light chain won't pay off very well if you have to buy two of them.

No need for that heavy of a chain on a VFR. Yes its only a bit heavier, but its rotational mass. Adding 1/2 lb to your midsection is a lot different than adding 1/2 lb to your chain. Lets say you gain 5 lbs. Probably not going to make a difference in the way your bike revs. Now add 5 lbs to your chain..(or your crank, or your pistons) Big difference. Its not like a VFR is the torquiest bike around.

Anyway... that 1/2 lb probably doesn't amount to much, but its not doing much good either. I bought a DID VX 530 a while back for my 01. 3000 miles on it and haven't adjusted it once. Im sold

• Member Contributer

---

I just replaced chain and sprockets on my VFR last week. I order a kit from Sprocket Center. http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/316754/530-steel-sprocket-set-w-your-choice-of-premium-did-530-xring-chain---honda-vfr-800f1-98-01.html

They also have RK chain kits. I order the RK rivet tool. I view it as an investment in my tool collection. With three other motorcycles in the garage I am sure I will use it again, and again ...and again :) There are less expense chain tools on ebay.

Replacing the chain and sprocket was easier than I thought. There is a good write up on the forum under maintenance guides http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/12-chain-sprocket-replacement/

Good luck

Did anyone see the race last week where the chain came off? ........... They said one of the side plates broke in half........ not sure which race it was...

Ive broken chains before, and they normall break , right in the middle of the inner link. Thats also where some manufacturers drill Lightening Holes, Never buy a chain with lightening holes. They are high risk to fracture in that area, the one I broke was solid metal in that area, and still broke.

No need for that heavy of a chain on a VFR. Yes its only a bit heavier, but its rotational mass. Adding 1/2 lb to your midsection is a lot different than adding 1/2 lb to your chain. Lets say you gain 5 lbs. Probably not going to make a difference in the way your bike revs. Now add 5 lbs to your chain..(or your crank, or your pistons) Big difference. Its not like a VFR is the torquiest bike around.

Anyway... that 1/2 lb probably doesn't amount to much, but its not doing much good either. I bought a DID VX 530 a while back for my 01. 3000 miles on it and haven't adjusted it once. Im sold

The only problem is I need heavy weight chains or they only last be 8 to 10,000 mile for me.

Just for some info, I was afraid of going too heavy of chain on my dual sport, so I stuck to lighter weight chains , till I finally said Fk it, and went to the heaviest plated 520 chain avalble, and it performed outstanding, smooth as silk and never noticed any additional weight, it also lasted the longest of any chain Id installed.

No need for that heavy of a chain on a VFR. Yes its only a bit heavier, but its rotational mass. Adding 1/2 lb to your midsection is a lot different than adding 1/2 lb to your chain.

No, you don't NEED it, but if it lasts longer, then I think it's money well spent.

As for the weight loss, it counts when it's your health! (ask me, I just lost 35 Lbs)

Thanks Joneill, that set is half the price of the price in the Netherlands :p.

You did not check the link I posted as the difference is only $12 for the DID ZVM2 kit (with sprockets)? And that shop also sells the right tool for another €40, plus itś local what saves on shipping cost.

Archived