What chain do you recommend?

Guest Evers

It's exactly the same as the ZVM2 only a different colour. It was the top rated DID chain, it has now been superseeded by the ZVM-X that is said to be even stronger and longer lasting. On my VFR I use the cheaper and lower rated VM chain (current model is VX). The previous one I replaced at >70K km. Not because it has stretched that much but I was heading out for longer trip and I had the replacement VM kit sitting on the shelf for two years, so it seemed like a good time to replace.

Once you get the chain/sprockets and tool, then you're going to need to know (1) how far to compress the side plates before you spread the pin(so as not to over do the O-rings / or bind the movement of the link) (2) then you'll need to know how wide to spread the pin(again not to over do it).

They have numbers for this.......... BUT......... I've found a way to be more in line with each chain install......... I measure the distance of the plates on the chain, then duplicate it as I install the masterlink to come up with the same measurement(squeeze a little - measure a little......... next is to match the size of the head of the pin as you spread it to match the pins on the chain.

Less pressure is better than too tight , or the spread too much. You need a micrometer "type" instrument to measure all this.

Depending on the instrument you use to measure(if it's a sharp blade type) don't keep it flush to the side plate to measure the spread of the pin ..... point it straight down over the head ..... or you'll be measuring under the head of the pin (don't ask me how I know, been there, done that, got the T-shirt).

One more thing......... while installing the masterlink work on it with the ends of the chain meeting at the back end of the rear sprocket.

Less pressure is better than too tight , or the spread too much. You need a micrometer "type" instrument to measure all this.

Not with the DID tool, it has a built in stop for both pressing on the side plate and flaring the pins, you can't go wrong. The DID tool can only be used on DID chains.

it's easy according to the guy on the phone. Are u from holland Rosso?

By looking at all the orange shirts everyone is wearing with Holland printed on them, you would think so. But I am from the Netherlands like you :happy:

Yes, using the special tool is very easy, and the tool comes with instructions. The tool can also be used to break the old chain, you only have to remember to grind down the old link pins before pressing it out of the link using the tool's pin to avoid the chance of breaking it. Or just cut the chain in half using a tool of your preference (e.g. angle grinder). Also when flaring the link's pins, put some grease on the tool's flairing pin. It is also not a bad idea to put some oil on the pin before installing it in the tool as it can get stuck sometimes when installed dry.

Here is a video instruction. Only difference is I never needed that much effort to install the chain, just turn the spanners untill you feel resistance and you're done.:

V4 Rosso........... That is a great tool and takes the guess(measure)work out of it.........And I might just order one for myself.

That being said, there is one part I don't like and that is you have to work on the chain between the sprockets which doesn't give a stable base to work from...........Having installed a chain that way before.I'd rather use the rear of the sprocket method. But.... at least i'd only have to tighten it down once on each pin to flare it and not take the tool off a 1000 times to mic it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived