My first Trip to the Tail of the Dragon on the VFR1200 (Damage report and questions)

• Member Contributer

Made the trip to the Tail of the Dragon this weekend, and ended up with a few scratches and bumps. I entered crud corner too fast and road the bike into a ditch. Didn't lay the bike all the way down, ended up just laying it into the hillside at about a 60* angle. Bike stood up to the mishap pretty well, and I ended up with a couple of small scratches. Over all not a good start to the day, but the day ended up finishing out pretty good. We still had a great ride minus my mistake.

Trip

Dalton to Tail of the Dragon and Back.

Road over Forte Mountain.

Rained half of the trip back home.

Questions,

- 1. Where do I go to get the best prices on OEM parts.

- 2. What Color would you paint your VFR?

- 3. What would be a good price on getting the two panels repainted or getting all the red panels painted another color?

- 4. A lot of rain on the way back home.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw the pics on KillBoy last night. Sorry to hear about the off roading but glad you are ok. The bike didn't look too bad btw.

• Member Contributer

Yeah I need to purchase copies of a few of the pics from both killboy, and US129photos. Actually I'll do that right now.

• Member Contributer

If I decide to repaint the entire bike, I might go with a color of one of these cars or something close.

post-24394-0-23952000-1332985723.jpg

post-24394-0-99640800-1332985726.jpg

post-24394-0-63758000-1332986214.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have a hard time wearing leather pants on a long rides, and gloves were actually in the bag at the time. Luckily the gloves were not needed, but the pants could have been used. Would have saved me a bruised and cut knee.

Mistake made, and learned from. Luckily for me it wasn't a very hard mistake.

• Member Contributer

PURCHASE SOME GEAR FIRST !!!!!!

Only reason I said I was going to purchase the pictures immediately is, because I did not want to use killboys pictures with out purchasing them first. They took the time to take and post the pictures, and if I want to use the pics I should at least purchase them. You are right though, I do need to improve my ridding gear, and will soon.

• Member Contributer
Luckily the gloves were not needed, but the pants could have been used. Would have saved me a bruised and cut knee.

When I go back to the Tail of the Dragon, I will have a better pair of pants to help protect against small miss steps. I guess like everything else, you don't think you need the extra protection, until you need the extra protection.

Yeah, I think you will find that most people around here think you need gear whether you are on The Dragon, or not. I've ridden that highway and some other "technical" mountain roads, and I can promise you my daily freeway commute is much, much more dangerous. So, for the record, you got off light - and as you alluded to, you didn't need the gloves because you were lucky. That luck is also the reason you don't have a broken leg or shattered wrist. But anyway... :wink:

I think the '1200 would look great in that color the Civic has. Keep us posted if you go gray. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Don't know you or your riding skills, BUT if I were you and my riding skills could use some improvement, I would save the paint money and put it towards a track school and some gear. Then I would paint the bike when my skill level was such that my likelihood of ruining another new paint job was less!

• Member Contributer

Don't know you or your riding skills, BUT if I were you and my riding skills could use some improvement, I would save the paint money and put it towards a track school and some gear. Then I would paint the bike when my skill level was such that my likelihood of ruining another new paint job was less!

I've been riding for 14 years, and have had 15 motorcycles with only one previous mishap. Until laying the vfr down softly Saturday, the only other bike I have ever laid down was my 2007 Burgman 650 do to someone pulling out in front of me. As everything goes mistakes are made, and then corrected. Luckily I was able to keep this mistake from becoming worse by getting the bike to and easier resting point then it could have been. Like I said it was a freak accident, but I might as well make a positive out of it, and get the vfr painted a color I will enjoy.

I know I need to wear riding gear, but being on the bike for an 8 hour day, it just wasn't what I wanted to wear. My mistake. I don't do track days ever, and only go to the tail and other mountain roads from time to time. Most of my time is spent on riding between home and work, and from home to see Family in SC.

Either way, I'm more interested in what would be interesting colors on the new VFR, and what I might expect to pay. I know I made a stupid uncharacteristic mistake on the tail, and I don't need that reported back to me. I can go out to the garage and look at the VFR1200 for a quick reminder.

• Member Contributer

At the very least, you might pick up some Kevlar pants, I've seen a few places that are selling last seasons styles on close out (under $100.00). I have a pair on the way now, because most of the time I ride with the Bohn Adventure pants under my trousers, as I do not go to an office but rather I visit other peoples business', so wearing leathers isn't the ideal clothing to meet with clients. That being said, I always wear my helmet, full finger gloves, an Alpinestar or Joe Rocket Jacket (depending on the weather), the Bohn Armor and a pair of TCX boots that look like street shoes when covered up by my trousers.

However, if I am planning on sport riding, I always break out my leather suit and a pair of full size boots. I also bought a pair of Alpinestar vented textile riding pants for the summer days, which I have not been able to ride in yet. The Alpinestar jacket and pants zip together and appear to be a good summer combo.

ALL the gear, ALL the time. No excuses, ever.

I would try a good scratch remover before I did any painting. I've had good success with similar scratches using ScratchX. It may not completely remove them; but they'll almost be invisible and you can decide what to do later.

• Member Contributer

ALL the gear, ALL the time. No excuses, ever.

I would try a good scratch remover before I did any painting. I've had good success with similar scratches using ScratchX. It may not completely remove them; but they'll almost be invisible and you can decide what to do later.

Good point on focusing on always riding prepared, get lazy and get burnt. I will not make that mistake again.

I've gone over the vfr with scratch remover already. The front is hard to tell except for one scratch, the scratches on the bag though are a little deeper and will not polish out. I'm in no big hurry to do anything because it isn't that bad. So I will come up with my plan slowly, and try to do something interesting with the paint job. My wife was already complaining that the bags didn't match the paint on the bike anyways. I like the VFR red, but a different color could really make the vfr look nice.

Hi.

I'm not piling-on because a prang can and will happen to all of us. I have personaly crashed a bike more times than some of our younger members have had hot dinners. And I cant speak from authority because I am not one of the fast guys. So, to explain the ribbing: it is just our way of goading you into always wearing your stuff because we care about you. (and to a lessor extent, yer,1200)

Weaing your gear is a mindset, that seems bothersome at times, but you get used to it and then you feel naked without it. I think it gives you confidence sometimes to lean that bad boy more when you find yourself drifting wide, and any and all confidence has been proven to help in the tight spots. I must admit that when I saw your photo on Killboy, my first reaction was "This is POST accident, and still no gloves?"

But as you know, this coice is yours and I'll buy you a beer no mater what you show up wearing.

Oh, and...........can I convince you to paint it flat black?

Don't look at these comments as trashing "you", it's just that no matter how good or bad anyone of us are we can all be a victims of a crash. I had a crash with the same ending as you (layed it against a grass bank 45/50º) the difference was, I was wearing gear. I've had 3 mishaps since '65 and all were close but not much or any damage.

I'm not into wearing leather either, but there are things you can wear that come close. A top and bottom that will allow shoulder/back/elbow/hip/knee/feet/gloves.......... as for knees I have a hard pac knee brace that pivots, that I wear under whatever bottoms I wear that works better than pretty much anything out there and no one even sees it(except NorthenVFRDave;My Tmac roommate).

But there are ways to still be comphy and protected.... And still be styling in your own choice of threads.

I was in my late 40's before I started wearing armor.

Sorry for your off road adventure, and glad that not much happened to either of you.

No 'trashing' at all. I've been riding close to 50 years, and I remember the last time I ignored the 'ATGATT' rule - it was 1975. I'd been on a long ride, it was an incredibly hot day (like 110 in the shade), and I'd just gotten off the freeway. My hands were sweating, so I took off my gloves. Less than a mile down the road I went down, rashing my hands pretty badly. Never again. I've only been down once since then; but I was wearing my gear and had no marks whatsoever.

Sounds like you're already past this and moving forward. Good on ya, lad.

Good to see you're ok. Seeing as how the damage is on the right side, you must have crossed over the line? That's not good at all.

Good to see you're ok. Seeing as how the damage is on the right side, you must have crossed over the line? That's not good at all.

Not if it was a "left" corner.

• Member Contributer

I was going left in the corner, not right.

As far as going flat black. Not for me or the vfr1200 I think.

My brother in law has one of his vfr's painted flat drab green including the engine, has all the panels taken off, and even through on a pair of offroad tires to make his own version of an enduro. I'll try to get a few pics of it.

I like this color, but am thinking of something that isn't a stock color.

post-24394-0-09641300-1332998477.jpg

• Member Contributer

That will buff out................

Glad you are safe and sound.

• Member Contributer

OP..... What is that thing on the side of the Conny?

Those are my buddy Mike's police crash bars. They even have the spots to rest your feet and places for spot lights. The owner of the kawasaki shop in Columbia, SC put the bike together and road it for a month. Mike got it from the dealership the day after the owner decided he was done riding it. Mike picked the bike up as it sits for $11k with 1100 miles, crash bars, corbin seat, peg lowered, exhaust, and 5 year full warranty.

• Member Contributer

I know I can get a lot of it to buff out, but I am really just tempted to go with a different color. I fell in love with that titanium color the first time I saw it online. To me, the titanium blade really just makes the bike shine to me.

This is the color I was looking for.

post-24394-0-89374300-1332998927.jpg

Archived