My first Trip to the Tail of the Dragon on the VFR1200 (Damage report and questions)

Grandall;

I scratched my side panel today unfortunately and have a quick question you can likely help me with....

With regards to the new middle cowl replacement panels you ordered, does the main red side panel also include the Honda badge? For the silver inner panel, does it include the "VFR1200" lettering/sticker?

Trying to figure out if I need to order the badge and stickers separately or if they are part of the replacement panels....

Many Thanks;

Eric

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grandall;

I scratched my side panel today unfortunately and have a quick question you can likely help me with....

With regards to the new middle cowl replacement panels you ordered, does the main red side panel also include the Honda badge? For the silver inner panel, does it include the "VFR1200" lettering/sticker?

Trying to figure out if I need to order the badge and stickers separately or if they are part of the replacement panels....

Many Thanks;

Eric

It's complete (badges, protection strips etc.). You just have to put it on.

Just received the right middle cowl and right mirror cover. I've decided that I'm going with the R&G Racing engine covers for both the right and left sides of the engine. It gives the bike the look I want, although I'm going to be a reluctant billboard for R&G. (The logo on the cover(s) is more than just a sticker. Loos like it can't be removed without marring the plastic, thereby ruining the look of the cover)

I had planned on painting or replacing the right crankcase cover, but I think this will give me an option to fix or repair it later, if I want. Not to mention the added protection for the engine.

Looking forward to getting my bike back to looking good.

• Member Contributer

Take a look at the VFR's 1200 sold for the local market in Japan. The engine in black!!!

I Googled this and didn't find anything obvious at first, so I got skeptical and went to the Japanese Honda website and just started clicking blindly until I found something... sure enough you are right, for the standard transmission anyway. Here is the best link I could get to. Looks very nice. :fing02:

http://www.honda.co.jp/VFR1200F/color/

Great link. Shows a direct comparison between the black and ...whatever color Honda calls it.

Definitely feel good about the black covers now! It'll be nice to get this bodywork done. Then, I can quit staring at the damned thing and do some more riding! lol!

• Member Contributer

Sorry it's been a while.

I've been busy and until yesterday hadn't had much time to ride the vfr. After washing it today, I feel better about waiting until my next oil change to replace the last three pieces, including the crank cover.

It's already been answered, but yes the middle red cowl comes with everything that is needed on the outside. The only thing you have to do is take the clips, snaps, and other pieces off the inside and move them to the new fender. Really easy only takes a few minutes. Just take you time taking everything apart and it will all go back together easily.

I road down to Marietta with my wife yesterday to her brother's house, about 85 miles each way, and over all the bike road great. The only thing that bothered me and has bothered me from the beginning is the seat cover. I don't mind the seat at all and actually find it pretty comfortable. The seat cover however is just too slippery, and it's hard to keep just myself in place let alone my wife sliding into me every time I hit the brakes. Does anyone know of a good seat cover replacement, that doesn't allow you to slide like your on a slip and slide? I might just start a new thread for this question.

Thank you,

Gregory T. Randall

I use craftsman anti-skid toolbox drawer liner cut to fit for the gf. crap works great for keeping her butt planted. Just put a 12" square of it between her butt and the seat. 25 cent fix.

• Member Contributer

I use craftsman anti-skid toolbox drawer liner cut to fit for the gf. crap works great for keeping her butt planted. Just put a 12" square of it between her butt and the seat. 25 cent fix.

Sounds like a great cheap and easy fix. I'll have to try it the next time we go for a ride. I could use a little grip myself, so I might cut two squares and then we can both stay in our own seats.

Thanks

Quick update. No pics yet, (sorry)

Put the R&G engine covers on right and left side. I think it looks great. I highly recommend these covers over painting, etc. The covers were about the same cost of replacing one oem side cover, minus the work involved. A nice and "easy" solution, imho.

Not thrilled, but not bent out of shape about having the R&G logo in the center of the covers, but I guess, since it's their (excellent) product, they've earned it.

Replaced the right mirror cover (easy) and the middle cowl. Not really easy, but not too terribly difficult. Online video was very useful.

Bike is back to looking perfect. Next is a new exhaust...

Archived