My first Trip to the Tail of the Dragon on the VFR1200 (Damage report and questions)

• Member Contributer

I would think that if I had to have damage on the bag the front would be the best to do a undercoat spray to. Nobody who doesn't own a vfr will ever think that it is anything other than a factory chip protection coat. I went with a light coat of 3m professional grade undercoating over a rubberized bumper coat and it matched the frame color and texture perfect. I mean perfect, perfect.

Thanks, if you can get the exact paint you used for the bags for me I'd appreciate it.

I just ordered the right side middle fairing. Hopefully it will be here within a week and I can finish the VFR to get it back to its original form or at least close. Things I could still order; lower right fairings, engine case cover, and silver middle cowl insert. All these have unnoticeable scratches, but if you get withing inches you will see them here and there.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Tin. Do you remember what brand bumper paint you used? I wonder if this would work on the plastic frame guards near the foot pegs which get scratched up from boots...

The rubberized bumper coat is Dupli-Color. Both are pretty much available at any auto parts store. The only reason I used the bumper coat underneath is to match the texture of the frame. The bumper coat by itself is really good for matching any black plastics that are scratched. Its just not as durable by itself so they have to be low traffic.

Once I get finished moving, I need to get back on my project of removing the silver. I think this method will hold up better on the metal parts. Rear pegs, rearsets and swingarm. I'm scared since the pegs and rearsets get the most wear from boot scratches. But then again I just need to do these since the silver is already scratched to hell so I guess I have nothing to lose. The key to everything is dry time. It takes like a week for this stuff to really harden to where it can take a boot scratch.

I would think that if I had to have damage on the bag the front would be the best to do a undercoat spray to. Nobody who doesn't own a vfr will ever think that it is anything other than a factory chip protection coat. I went with a light coat of 3m professional grade undercoating over a rubberized bumper coat and it matched the frame color and texture perfect. I mean perfect, perfect.

Thanks, if you can get the exact paint you used for the bags for me I'd appreciate it.

I just ordered the right side middle fairing. Hopefully it will be here within a week and I can finish the VFR to get it back to its original form or at least close. Things I could still order; lower right fairings, engine case cover, and silver middle cowl insert. All these have unnoticeable scratches, but if you get withing inches you will see them here and there.

I have to run by autozone today so I can double check while I am there. Now I am second guessing whether the topcoat was 3m or rustoleum. I'll know when I look at the can. The good news is you will have spare parts to test and get your technique down on. I wish I would have kept my old damaged middle cowl so I could try stuff out on it. Live and learn I guess.

BTW. The new cowls will not have attaching hardware on them so you will have to swap that hardware from the old ones. Just kind of an FYI. I almost threw away my old cowls before the new ones got in. That would have been bad.

Grandall,

Your comparison reflects most of the magazine writers views too. The VFR 1200 is more sporty on the sport tour scale. It's really starting to grow on me. I think the Kawi would be a solid second choice. Thanks for responding.

• Member Contributer

I have to run by autozone today so I can double check while I am there. Now I am second guessing whether the topcoat was 3m or rustoleum. I'll know when I look at the can. The good news is you will have spare parts to test and get your technique down on. I wish I would have kept my old damaged middle cowl so I could try stuff out on it. Live and learn I guess.

BTW. The new cowls will not have attaching hardware on them so you will have to swap that hardware from the old ones. Just kind of an FYI. I almost threw away my old cowls before the new ones got in. That would have been bad.

Thanks when you get the exact paints let me know. It will at least give me a head start.

Here are a few of my ideas for the rear bags.

- What do you think, and any ideas on other ways to make the paint look good and purposeful.

- Ignore my poor capabilities with paint on my cpu.

• Member Contributer

Does your insurance cover any of the damage repair?

I think I have read where sometimes your collision insurance will apply. Less your deductible of course.

Just a thought.

Why isn't there a "Badge of Honor" (or maybe Shame) decal/sticker that explains the damage?

I could even apply it to my parking lot drop damage. :tongue:

Ps. Glad to see you are keeping the original color. Love that color. :smile:

Checked when I was at AZ and it was dupli-color bumper coat under rust-oleum professional grade undercoat. I remember I used undercoat instead of the bedliner coat because it flexed more with the plastic. 4k miles and no chips. Of course I dont think the bags will flex though.

• Member Contributer

Does your insurance cover any of the damage repair?

I think I have read where sometimes your collision insurance will apply. Less your deductible of course.

Just a thought.

Why isn't there a "Badge of Honor" (or maybe Shame) decal/sticker that explains the damage?

I could even apply it to my parking lot drop damage. :tongue:

Ps. Glad to see you are keeping the original color. Love that color. :smile:

It would cover it, but the deductible is pretty close to what it takes to fix everything myself. Just easier and cheaper to do the work myself. I like the idea of having the protective coating on the bags as well. If they sold just the outer part of the bags, I would just buy new pieces, but painting them will just be easier and cheaper. Should turn out nice as well. As long as I take my time.

Agggh!!! Maybe I"ve just had a bad day but I just can't stand it any more !!!

THE ROAD IS CALLED THE DRAGON...

The Tail of the Dragon is a souvenir shop set up in a tent at Deals Gap by the intrsection of 129 and 28.

So the question is...did you crash into the tent or did you crash on the Dragon?

Your not the first person and I'm sure you will not be the last, but please...Dragon...Dragon...Dragon.

forget about the tail.

Oh yeah, wear gloves.

• Member Contributer

The Tail of the Dragon is a souvenir shop set up in a tent at Deals Gap by the intrsection of 129 and 28.

So the question is...did you crash into the tent or did you crash on the Dragon?

Your not the first person and I'm sure you will not be the last, but please...Dragon...Dragon...Dragon.

forget about the tail.

Oh yeah, wear gloves.

Sure wish I had a tent like that.

• Member Contributer

forget about the tail.

Oh yeah, wear gloves.

I'll just keep calling it the tail of the dragon. I laid my bike against the ridge on US Route 129. Either way, I'm pretty sure 99% of people know where you are talking about when you tell them you road the dragon or the tail of the dragon. Other than that you can look us 129 on wikipedia, here is the link. Not saying wikipedia is always correct, but it refer to the 11 miles and 318 curves as both the Tail of the Dragon first, and just The Dragon second.

http://en.wikipedia..../U.S._Route_129

Thanks

If the road is "The Dragon" and the store at the end is "Tail of the Dragon", I'm gonna open a store right up the hill from them and name it "Butt of the Dragon".

Agggh!!! Maybe I"ve just had a bad day but I just can't stand it any more !!! THE ROAD IS CALLED THE DRAGON... The Tail of the Dragon is a souvenir shop set up in a tent at Deals Gap by the intrsection of 129 and 28. So the question is...did you crash into the tent or did you crash on the Dragon? Your not the first person and I'm sure you will not be the last, but please...Dragon...Dragon...Dragon. forget about the tail. Oh yeah, wear gloves.

I've always seen "129" on the signs when I go down there every year. I always assumed that was the name of the road?

• Member Contributer
Agggh!!! Maybe I"ve just had a bad day but I just can't stand it any more !!! THE ROAD IS CALLED THE DRAGON... The Tail of the Dragon is a souvenir shop set up in a tent at Deals Gap by the intrsection of 129 and 28. So the question is...did you crash into the tent or did you crash on the Dragon? Your not the first person and I'm sure you will not be the last, but please...Dragon...Dragon...Dragon. forget about the tail. Oh yeah, wear gloves.

I've always seen "129" on the signs when I go down there every year. I always assumed that was the name of the road?

I think you're right. Just looked it up on google and the only road names it says on that part of NC and TN are US 129 and State Highway 115. Does have the tail of the dragon store on the map though.

• Member Contributer

Looks like I am going to be waiting another week for the ride side middle cowl. Yesterday they said it would be shipped out today, and today it says it will be shipped out the 10th. Gives me more time to decide what I want to do with the rear bags. I'm leaning to either picture 1 or picture 3.

• Member Contributer

I think I will end up going with #1, because it does look like it would come that way the most, also 2 and 3 would be harder to match each bag up. Though time and patients is going to be required for any of the three looks. I do like # 3 though, but it might be hard to pull off the right look. My wife likes #2 but I think that one is just too much.

I'll be buying the supplies this weekend. Hopefully I can get the bags done next week, and the middle right cowl will come in so I can have the whole bike finished by next weekend.

Thanks Tin for the info on the paint.

forget about the tail.

Oh yeah, wear gloves.

I'll just keep calling it the tail of the dragon. I laid my bike against the ridge on US Route 129. Either way, I'm pretty sure 99% of people know where you are talking about when you tell them you road the dragon or the tail of the dragon. Other than that you can look us 129 on wikipedia, here is the link. Not saying wikipedia is always correct, but it refer to the 11 miles and 318 curves as both the Tail of the Dragon first, and just The Dragon second.

http://en.wikipedia..../U.S._Route_129

Thanks

Hey regardless what you want to call this sweet section of road its too bad you got bit and went down. The good news is you may be bloodied but didn't suffer and serious injuries. Better luck on your next trip.

• Member Contributer

I just got the right middle cowl in. It was sitting on my porch when I returned home from Easter in SC. Decided I would take a few more pics, and also pics of the new pieces.

Hopefully I can get started tomorrow night and get the new cowl pieces on, and then get started on the rear bag.

A few pics of the damage, decided to take better pics with my camera and not just my phone.

Luckily, it did not get the windscreen or the headlight.

• Member Contributer

Here are a few pics of the new pieces, and possibly what I am thinking to doing with the rear bag.

I planned a little different paint on the rear bag, but due to the long slash I think this will be the best way to go.

Not what I was hoping I would be ordering for my new bike, but I do enjoy getting new parts. Hopefully next will be something to add, and not replace.

• Member Contributer

I just love the feeling of getting rid of rashed bodywork and having no evidence of riding mistakes and/or mishaps. I've experienced this feeling more times than I'd care to admit. I hope this is your last. As great as the new feeling is, the worst is rashing newly replaced pieces. Please don't ask me how I know this.

• Member Contributer

I got all the parts on tonight. Here are a few pictures of the process. I will eventually replace a few more pieces, but for now the main damage has been replaced.

Two middle cow pieces side by side, old cowl on left.

Picture of the side of the bike with upper cowl still on but middle cowl removed.

Another picture of the bike with middle cowl removed.

• Member Contributer

A few more pictures. All finished for now, just waiting to get the bags painted. Hopefully, the bags turn out just as well as the new cowl pieces turned out.

Archived