My first Trip to the Tail of the Dragon on the VFR1200 (Damage report and questions)

• Member Contributer

Hi.

I'm not piling-on because a prang can and will happen to all of us. I have personaly crashed a bike more times than some of our younger members have had hot dinners. And I cant speak from authority because I am not one of the fast guys. So, to explain the ribbing: it is just our way of goading you into always wearing your stuff because we care about you. (and to a lessor extent, yer,1200)

Weaing your gear is a mindset, that seems bothersome at times, but you get used to it and then you feel naked without it. I think it gives you confidence sometimes to lean that bad boy more when you find yourself drifting wide, and any and all confidence has been proven to help in the tight spots. I must admit that when I saw your photo on Killboy, my first reaction was "This is POST accident, and still no gloves?"

But as you know, this coice is yours and I'll buy you a beer no mater what you show up wearing.

Oh, and...........can I convince you to paint it flat black?

Good point on post accident and no gloves. Didn't think about them after the wreck. I was still kicking myself for the earlier mistake and ended up overlooking putting the gloves on. These pictures will not let me forget ATG ATT again. Also not planning another trip to the tail for a while.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand how it happened now. In my head I was seeing you cutting out wide on a sharp right and sliding off into a ditch. Either way it's good you learned something. Sometimes mistakes teach us the best lessons.

• Forum CEO

It took me a year to dial in the 1200 the way I like it, the I started with the tires, I hate the dunlops that came on the bike. First time I rode the thing on a semi twisty road the rear wheel hopped every time I got on the gas coming out of a turn. Then the wieght got to me - turned out I had the front forks rebound much too soft and it pushed wide in turns, I got that dialed it and now it tracks great! I am not so sure I would use the Gap as my "sorting out ride" - there are a lot of shorter less technical roads you can take - pull over and make suspension adjustments then get back on. I suspect you had the same issue I had with the bike wanting to run wide from what you wrote, a few clicks on the rebound to the hard side fixed it for me, and I got rid of the hopping in the rear with better Michelins PR2 tires and swapped out a 5th gen Ohlins shock with the OEM shock. They were identical spec since I had my 5th gen already set up with the same spring rate as the oem 1200 shock.

I find my front tire takes a beating as much as the rear does, the front tire is loaded up - I actually get edge to edge on the front tire before the rear on the 1200!

Jeans and no gloves gets you on the front page of Killboy for sure! HEH no to mention going down near or right in front of the photog.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. On two wheels it is never about if something bad happens, it is when something bad happens. I will back up Miguel's suggestions regarding the sorting out of the mechanical issues. There are so many variables to consider every time we saddle up, like the weather, when will the tires get warm enough to get some bite. Or I was way to hot into that corner and thankful that nobody was coming the other way, or my counter steering practice at the track day helped me stay on my side of the road.

Every situation like this offers of a teaching moment. It is what we do with that information that will make the difference in the future. Your scooter is dinged up, your pride and body parts are suffering from road rash. Road rash heals and parts can be buffed, replaced or repainted. Eventually, our pride recovers because we realize that bad shit is always around the corner and we sometimes don't see it coming.

I've heard that some folks have decided to change the color of their sweet red VFR1200 and have put down between $1000 and $1500 for a one-of-a-kind paint job, but for me I have always been a sucker for anything fast and red.

Keep your chin up, so you can catch more bugs in your teeth on your next fun ride on those sweet two wheels and do consider wearing something that will save your hide.

Andy

Grandall,

Mine's in the repair shop getting sprayed today (just back to the standard red) after a stationary drop - scratched fairing, mirrior body, LH engine case.

However, this seems like an opportunity if you fancy something new. I've not see any custom painted 12's yet. I like the look of the Honda RCE electric bike, which has modern take on the classic Honda racing colours....I reckon the 12 would look great like this...

Honda-RC-E-02.jpg

If you go for a new colour scheme, post some pics

• Member Contributer

Don't know you or your riding skills, BUT if I were you and my riding skills could use some improvement, I would save the paint money and put it towards a track school and some gear. Then I would paint the bike when my skill level was such that my likelihood of ruining another new paint job was less!

I've been riding for 14 years, and have had 15 motorcycles with only one previous mishap. Until laying the vfr down softly Saturday, the only other bike I have ever laid down was my 2007 Burgman 650 do to someone pulling out in front of me. As everything goes mistakes are made, and then corrected. Luckily I was able to keep this mistake from becoming worse by getting the bike to and easier resting point then it could have been. Like I said it was a freak accident, but I might as well make a positive out of it, and get the vfr painted a color I will enjoy.

I know I need to wear riding gear, but being on the bike for an 8 hour day, it just wasn't what I wanted to wear. My mistake. I don't do track days ever, and only go to the tail and other mountain roads from time to time. Most of my time is spent on riding between home and work, and from home to see Family is SC.

Either way, I'm more interested in what would be interesting colors on the new VFR, and what I might expect to pay. I know I made a stupid uncharacteristic mistake on the tail, and I don't need that reported back to me. I can go out to the garage and look at the VFR1200 for a quick reminder.

As I prefaced, I had no idea of your experience and meant no judgement although I know it probably came across that way. Even though I do track days and practice that kind of riding to improve my cornering skills, I am far from accomplished and even light years away from perfect. That's one of the reasons I wear ATGATT even when its 90-100 degrees...to protect me from the mistakes that I will inevitably make somewhere down the road. I'm in healthcare and I just hate to see guys and gals get hurt worse than they have to. I don't think your mistake was "stupid"...uncharacteristic for you perhaps, but any mistake I make is a learning experience. If I make no mistakes I'm only doing what I already know over and over again with no improvement or learning. Hope you get the bike back to how you want it soon.

Sincerely, please. I've been riding, racing, touring for 60 years as of last October. My advice is for you to re-order your priorities thusly: Riding gear, (good quality helmet, boots, gloves, pants, jacket), brakes, suspension, skills, more suspension, skills and finally paint.

You may be so lucky that you have never needed the aforementioned; but if you do it will be too late and feeling sorry won't hack it. Remember no matter how lucky or talented you may become more often than not it's the other 'guy' that will cause the crash. Your a fool if you choose not to protect yourself. Have you never experienced someone turning in front of you? Have you never experienced on coming traffic on your side of the road? Those things are sometimes hard to live through. Good fortune, R~

• Member Contributer

That Honda RCE electric bike is pretty cool looking. I think I am going to stick to just one color though. I've never been much on paint schemes. I'll go back to the original read if it is cheep enough, or possibly a whole new color if the cost isn't that much more. Might be easier than trying to get the two panels matched exactly.

• Member Contributer

Most of my riding gear is better suited for winter riding, and that puts me out of it sometimes when I ride on warmer days. I haven't looked in a while for more gear so hear are a few questions.

1. What would you suggest as a good set of Jacket and pants for summer riding? Possibly year round riding, never gets too cold in GA.

- Consider I am 6'2" and 265 lbs built like a football player.

2. I like my Fulmer helmet, but am interested in something with blue tooth capability. Has anyone used the HJC or other helmets with blue tooth?

- I prefer the full face to open, like my fulmer.

3. One thing I have never purchased for riding are shoes. Normally, as in the picture I go out in steel toed shoes. What riding boots/shoes would you recommend?

- Boots/shoes would have to be a 12 size with 4E width.

4. Any other gear suggestions?

• Member Contributer

Grandall,

Mine's in the repair shop getting sprayed today (just back to the standard red) after a stationary drop - scratched fairing, mirrior body, LH engine case.

However, this seems like an opportunity if you fancy something new. I've not see any custom painted 12's yet. I like the look of the Honda RCE electric bike, which has modern take on the classic Honda racing colours....I reckon the 12 would look great like this...

Honda-RC-E-02.jpg

If you go for a new colour scheme, post some pics

How much is it going to cost you to get the re-spray?

• Member Contributer

Not piling on here, but there's another benefit I find with ATGATT. As I gear up, it's almost a meditative experience. Each successive item I put on helps me concentrate on the ride ahead. (Must be what knights must've felt like when they put on armour. Or gunfighters putting on their belts...)

So by the time I'm geared up, I'm 100% focused and ready to go.

Glad you got off with just a scratch or two, and best of luck down the road!

I've pondered at length on how I would paint mine if I scratched it up. (that's the only circumstance where I'd bother)

I think the best color on this bike for me would be a dark grey. I have a 2011 4Runner in Magnetic Grey Pearl... I think I'd order up a can of that. I'd leave the inner layer fairings and tail cowls in the standard silver to keep the 2-tone look. Personally I think any stripes or graphics would look tacky.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=yNz&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&biw=2048&bih=1059&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=_dHzUiUWWq1wOM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ibidmotors.com/cgi-bin/motors/motors.cgi%3FUserID%3D%26action%3Dall_premier%26page%3D3&docid=WdxcUiz2_XnVAM&imgurl=http://images.ebizautos.com/sites/stockchrome/colormatched_transparent/640/cc_2012TOY001a_640/cc_2012TOY001a_640_1G3.jpg&w=640&h=480&ei=QZh0T7m7EYeiiQLi0fA2&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1748&vpy=642&dur=2194&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=185&ty=106&sig=108987121756947637651&page=1&tbnh=156&tbnw=221&start=0&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:23,s:0

• Member Contributer

If I decide to repaint the entire bike, I might go with a color of one of these cars or something close.

post-24394-0-23952000-1332985723.jpg

post-24394-0-99640800-1332985726.jpg

post-24394-0-63758000-1332986214.jpg

I think that the Civic color would be excellent.

There is also BMW Anthocite that looks very rich and classy.

The silver blade accent through the middle of it would set it off.

P.S.

Glad you weren't hurt and that the bike doesn't seem to have been hurt much either.

You've got lots of ribbing for gear, but don't take it as negative. Folks here are looking out for each other and some may go a bit overbord sometimes.

It's all good.

I've pondered at length on how I would paint mine if I scratched it up. (that's the only circumstance where I'd bother)

I think the best color on this bike for me would be a dark grey. I have a 2011 4Runner in Magnetic Grey Pearl... I think I'd order up a can of that. I'd leave the inner layer fairings and tail cowls in the standard silver to keep the 2-tone look. Personally I think any stripes or graphics would look tacky.

http://www.google.ca...1t:429,r:23,s:0

My VFR is a 2008 which is about the same colour as your link, so you could get the colour codes for that.

• Member Contributer

http://www.google.ca...1t:429,r:23,s:0

I like the color of that 4runner, and I do only plan on getting the red painted the rest will stay as it is. I like the different colors to accent each other. Also thinking of a darker metallic blue.

post-24394-0-56845100-1333044294.jpg

• Member Contributer

Also just ordered the only replacement part I needed. The upper right cowl on the right side of the windscreen. $130 not to bad, but not sure how it is only $64 less than I can order the whole right side middle cowl for $194.

I saw a custom bike a while back that was painted a metallic rootbeer color.....FUCKING GORGEOUS. Lots of options, plus the panels on this bike are so nice anyway that changing the color on the bike won't be a massive undertaking in parts shape, contour, ect....I'm toying with the idea of changing mine up but that will come after all of the carbon fiber parts are on.

Don't know you or your riding skills, BUT if I were you and my riding skills could use some improvement, I would save the paint money and put it towards a track school and some gear. Then I would paint the bike when my skill level was such that my likelihood of ruining another new paint job was less!

I've been riding for 14 years, and have had 15 motorcycles with only one previous mishap. Until laying the vfr down softly Saturday, the only other bike I have ever laid down was my 2007 Burgman 650 do to someone pulling out in front of me. As everything goes mistakes are made, and then corrected. Luckily I was able to keep this mistake from becoming worse by getting the bike to and easier resting point then it could have been. Like I said it was a freak accident, but I might as well make a positive out of it, and get the vfr painted a color I will enjoy.

I know I need to wear riding gear, but being on the bike for an 8 hour day, it just wasn't what I wanted to wear. My mistake. I don't do track days ever, and only go to the tail and other mountain roads from time to time. Most of my time is spent on riding between home and work, and from home to see Family is SC.

Either way, I'm more interested in what would be interesting colors on the new VFR, and what I might expect to pay. I know I made a stupid uncharacteristic mistake on the tail, and I don't need that reported back to me. I can go out to the garage and look at the VFR1200 for a quick reminder.

As I prefaced, I had no idea of your experience and meant no judgement although I know it probably came across that way. Even though I do track days and practice that kind of riding to improve my cornering skills, I am far from accomplished and even light years away from perfect. That's one of the reasons I wear ATGATT even when its 90-100 degrees...to protect me from the mistakes that I will inevitably make somewhere down the road. I'm in healthcare and I just hate to see guys and gals get hurt worse than they have to. I don't think your mistake was "stupid"...uncharacteristic for you perhaps, but any mistake I make is a learning experience. If I make no mistakes I'm only doing what I already know over and over again with no improvement or learning. Hope you get the bike back to how you want it soon.

Also remember Bro that while they may be be beautiful and fast, our 1200's are voluptuous curvy women that know what they want. They've got the steam to go all night but they don't change direction in a flash like those young silly sorority girls used to do.

• Member Contributer

Most of my riding gear is better suited for winter riding, and that puts me out of it sometimes when I ride on warmer days. I haven't looked in a while for more gear so hear are a few questions.

1. What would you suggest as a good set of Jacket and pants for summer riding? Possibly year round riding, never gets too cold in GA.

2. I like my Fulmer helmet, but am interested in something with blue tooth capability. Has anyone used the HJC or other helmets with blue tooth?

3. One thing I have never purchased for riding are shoes. Normally, as in the picture I go out in steel toed shoes. What riding boots/shoes would you recommend?

Grandall,

Sorry to hear about the mess and hope your pride heals in time from the well deserved lashings our Elder Vfr Council has given you.

SO - for the gear I reccomend taking the hour or so trip south to Cycle Gear on Windy hill off of 75. They carry a ton of inexpensive yet protective gear.

You should be prepared to drop a few hundred on some decent gear.

Learn from one of the better VFR Riders I know - Zoomy from the ATL went down last week in Suches and totalled his bike. He was wearing full leathers and the only thing he had was bad bruising.

Jacket - Shift sells affordable ($85-$150) Mesh Summer jackets with a removable wind/rain liner. I've got one and I love it, it offers great ventilation and good breathability and decent protection. Right now Mountain Motorsports in Marietta (on the way to Cycle Gear) has them $75 off

Pants - Shift, Icon, any other brands of riding pants have protection. They have Jeans, Khakkis or Mesh Pants with slider/protection - Usually around $80-$120

Boots - Dainsese @ Cycle Gear - by far the most comfortable boots, stylish enough that I can wear them with riding jeans and they look restaurant ready. They are currently on sale and run about $180 - $250 - and they carry large

Gloves - Sidici Torino Mesh Gloves - $50 - good flexibility once they break in and strong protection

As for the Bluetooth - don't buy the helmets based on the fact they have bluetooth - buy the helmet and add it if you really need it. I find it distracting but if you really want one buy a year off Shoei on sale for $400 and install a bluetooth headset on it.

All in all you can spend a few hundred, be comfortable, and be protected. As someone mentioned before - you never know when someone is going to turn in front of you. Unfortunatley it happened to me a month ago and my gear took the brunt of it (right hand turn from the left lane right into me)

Fortunatley I saved the bike went with the turn and my boots (ankle protector) gloves, and handlebar took the impact and I was fine - his car not so much!

Good luck and if you ever want to ride down with us - hit us up, once you have your gear =P LOL

Not the most protection but better than nothing, for summer Compacc has a cortech denim jacket with some armor for $60. It is available in large sizes and ships quickly. It has some venting and as long as you are moving it will work with the liner out. When it gets cold put the liner back in.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Cortech-Mens-DSX-Denim-Jacket

For pants compacc has sliders 4.0 that can accept knee armor for $80. The knee armor is $10 bucks more. They also have larger sizes.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Kevlar-Motorcycle-Riding-Jeans-4-0/1008008

For boots they also have tourmaster solution 2.0 for $108. They were the only boots i've foubd reasonably in wide sizes.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Tourmaster-Solution-2-0-WP-Road-Boots-Mens

Compacc commercial over. I actually have no affiliation. I like because they are 1 day shipping from me. I'm sick of the bilt stuff cyclegear pushes.

Although these are not leather they have some protection and are better than jeans and jacket without protection. And they are cooler than leather.

The helmet and gloves are to personally fitted for advice.

I don't play race and am very careful. On hot days this is the gear I use. If I did track days or play raced on the street I would have leathers.

• Member Contributer

Become a member at advrider.com and watch the classifieds. Lots of good deals on slightly used gear. I've purchased Sidi boots, an Olympia Phantom textile suit, Alpinestars leather pants, all in nearly new condition for about 1/2 of what they sell for new.

Archived