My first Trip to the Tail of the Dragon on the VFR1200 (Damage report and questions)

Grandall,

£515 or $818 in your money.

Repair paints & scuff to:

• n/s lower panel
  • n/s top fairing
  • blend as required
  • n/s engine cover
  • n/s bar end
  • n/s mirror
  • Supply and fit new Honda badge and VFR decal

I'm supposed to be getting it back this evening, but the shop's just told me that they don't think that it's going to be ready in time. There goes the weekend plans! Gutted :sad:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a huge amount of good and well intentioned advice here and I'd reinforce it.

Motorcycling is scary dangerous even with the right gear. Gear needs to be seasonal too so one set will rarely do all. Fitness helps hugely imo. I'm pretty fit now but a few years ago was a one hour 25 mile time trialist. I found that I would be comfortable in gear with full protection when my mates were really struggling with the heat. Maybe that's an extreme example but I know that every bit of fitness helps with handling the bike, awareness/alertness, comfort and enjoyment.

I'd no sooner ride without gloves than poop in the street.

Peter

• Member Contributer

I like the color of that 4runner, and I do only plan on getting the red painted the rest will stay as it is. I like the different colors to accent each other. Also thinking of a darker metallic blue.

I vote for the metallic blue. I'd take the camaro as well.

Chuck

• Member Contributer

I'll make my decision on the paint this weekend. I'm going to ride around and see if I can get a few numbers on the cost. I've looked at the cost of just replacing the fairings, and it's not that bad, $195 left middle cowl, $130 upper cowl (purchased), about $100 for any lower cowls I would think of replacing, and right now I can't seem to find a replacement panel for the bags.

Does anyone know where you can find replacement panels for the bags if I decide to go the replacement route?

Thanks again for all the input.

If I can find a reasonable price for the paint job, I'll get it painted. I actually really want to see this bike in a new color.

• Member Contributer

Grandall,

£515 or $818 in your money.

Repair paints & scuff to:

• n/s lower panel
  • n/s top fairing
  • blend as required
  • n/s engine cover
  • n/s bar end
  • n/s mirror
  • Supply and fit new Honda badge and VFR decal

I'm supposed to be getting it back this evening, but the shop's just told me that they don't think that it's going to be ready in time. There goes the weekend plans! Gutted :sad:

Thanks for the information.

• Member Contributer

To everyone who has suggested gear that would work.

Thanks

I will be heading to cycle gear and a few other places either this weekend or next to look at and purchase more gear.

Just have to change the subject for a minute. Were you riding with the Kawi 1400 and if so how did the two bikes compare? Love to hear your impressions of both. Also, see picture for another color option stealth black. Has anyone been able to duplicate the gorgeous paint that Honda developed for this bike yet. Remember, that was one of the highlights of this new bike was the ultra perfect and deep paint so I doubt very many shops can match the quality.

• Member Contributer

Just have to change the subject for a minute. Were you riding with the Kawi 1400 and if so how did the two bikes compare? Love to hear your impressions of both. Also, see picture for another color option stealth black. Has anyone been able to duplicate the gorgeous paint that Honda developed for this bike yet. Remember, that was one of the highlights of this new bike was the ultra perfect and deep paint so I doubt very many shops can match the quality.

Yes, The Kawasaki Concourse 14 belonged to my friend Mike. Though, his 2011 Concourse doesn't even feel the same as my 2008 Concourse 14. With Mikes bike already having the lowered pegs, bar risers, and corbin seat, it just made for a different ride than my 08 connie. The biggest difference made was the Corbin seat, which is completely different from the stock kawasaki seat, and lets you sit much lower on the bike. On a long straight drive you could ride on the concourse, and never feel much different than ridding in a car with a convertible top. The wind almost completely goes around you, and your sitting in a very non aggressive relaxed position. Over all it is very comfortable on the long rides, but to me when you got into the corners it was a little less comfortable, with the pegs scraping a lot, and just too much of a relaxed seating position for me. Still on the 8 hour ride Mike was slightly less sore than I, and didn't get nearly as wet when we ran into an hour of rain. My 2008 concourse with the stock seat, gave a much better feel in the curves to me, and though it was not as comfortable as Mike's 11, it was still a little more forgiving on the longer trips than the vfr1200. The Concourse is really a sport touring touring bike, and the vfr1200 comes off more of a sport sport touring bike. The VFR1200 did great on the whole trip, and I stayed comfortable for the most part. With my heli bars my wrist only got slightly sore after long periods of riding. Nothing a few minutes of rest wouldn't take care of while getting gas. Aside from my one mishap on the tail, the vfr1200 road and felt better to me on the twisties. Even Mike had to admit the VFR felt a lot more maneuverable through the corners. Over all they are both great bikes, and I wouldn't be mad to have either in my garage. I will say this though sticker price to sticker price the Concourse would have the edge for me. At 16K each, the concourse just comes with a lot more standard features; heated grips, bags, center stand , and luggage rack. With the big discounts on the VFR, its better looks, and performance I would side with the VFR1200.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

I'm suprised you got a Concours owner to admit the VFR was better at anything. I get snubbed less when riding by harley guys on the road since I sold my 08 Connie for my VFR.

Very open minded, spot on comparison of the 2 bikes. They both have their plusses depending on how you want to ride. The VFR just fits my riding style better.

• Member Contributer

I'm putting together a cost comparison on whether or not to get the bike painted or to just buy all new parts. Here are a few questions.

1. Does anyone know where to locate just the outer part of the cases?

- I can find every replacement part on the bike, but I can not find any replacement pieces for my side cases.

2. The parts list as CANDY PROMINENCE RED. Does that mean they come pre-painted the original color of the bike?

- No need to get replacement parts if I have to paint them anyways. I'll find I out if the parts come painted when I get my upper cowl though.

3. I've been to one shop, and they told me it might be hard to paint the bike and get the paint to stick with out worry of peeling. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Hard to paint without peeling???????

Find someone that knows how to prep a surface, if you go that route.......

That's what I thought. They were the first body shop I had gone to. I haven't had time to drive by anymore shops because of work. So I figured I would post the question here to see if anyone else had heard of anything like that.

Thanks

3. I've been to one shop, and they told me it might be hard to paint the bike and get the paint to stick with out worry of peeling. Any thoughts on this?

I'd pass on that shop. Either they don't know what the hell they are doing or they really don't want to do the work. There is no reason to worry about paint peeling if the surface and paint is prepped/shot/dried correctly.

• Member Contributer

I'd like to comment on wearing steel toed boots. In MSF rider course they recommend against steel toes because if your toes are bent upward, the steel toes can cut your toes off.

Grandall,

Be very careful where you get the bike repainted, whatever colour you decide on. The repair shop have made a mess of mine :angry: :

• The colour match on the fairing is really poor - it looks like a different colour all together.
  • The fairing has not been refitted correctly and the clips have been damaged, so that the inner fairing is not mating-up properly.
  • The left-hand fuel tank cover, must have been moved when they took the fairing off and now my fingers get trapped on full steering lock between the bar and the tank.
  • They've splashed silver paint on the black section and glass of the right-hand mirror!?
  • I asked them to touch-up a scuff on the driveshaft - the driveshaft cover now has a big hole in it and the bracket that connects it to the driveshaft is snapped.
  • There's a chip in the silver paint on the left-hand mirror
  • ....Basically, the bike now looks like shit...it was better with the scratches.

And all this at a place that came recommended to me...and they do bikes all the time! The repair shop boss was on holiday(vacation) when the bike went in, so I think his guys have done a rush-job, they did complain to me that 2 days wasn't sufficient time to do all the work.

Anyway, I've complained and I've just received an email from their boss to say that he is back from holiday...and he's going to speak to the guys who did the repairs. Let's see if he puts it right :pissed:

Watch this space!

• Member Contributer

Grandall,

Be very careful where you get the bike repainted, whatever colour you decide on. The repair shop have made a mess of mine :angry: :

• The colour match on the fairing is really poor - it looks like a different colour all together.
  • The fairing has not been refitted correctly and the clips have been damaged, so that the inner fairing is not mating-up properly.
  • The left-hand fuel tank cover, must have been moved when they took the fairing off and now my fingers get trapped on full steering lock between the bar and the tank.
  • They've splashed silver paint on the black section and glass of the right-hand mirror!?
  • I asked them to touch-up a scuff on the driveshaft - the driveshaft cover now has a big hole in it and the bracket that connects it to the driveshaft is snapped.
  • There's a chip in the silver paint on the left-hand mirror
  • ....Basically, the bike now looks like shit...it was better with the scratches.

And all this at a place that came recommended to me...and they do bikes all the time! The repair shop boss was on holiday(vacation) when the bike went in, so I think his guys have done a rush-job, they did complain to me that 2 days wasn't sufficient time to do all the work.

Anyway, I've complained and I've just received an email from their boss to say that he is back from holiday...and he's going to speak to the guys who did the repairs. Let's see if he puts it right :pissed:

Watch this space!

Yeah that is why I am leaning more and more to just getting replacement parts. Cost is close to the same as getting the bike painted, if not a little less. I would rather have the bike stay the same color, than have a shop mess the bike up worse then it is now. Let me know how it turns out. I'm still on the fence, because I would really like to see what my bike would look like another color.

Thanks

I would suggest when going to a paint shop, that the owner of the bike remove all the parts themselves for two reasons....1 - Gets it done cheaper ; 2 - Nothing for them to mess up.

Don't get a painter to fix your motor, or a mechanic to paint your bike...... With the exception of ppl like SebSpeed, etc.

If you're gonna keep it the same color, JMHO but I would just order the middle faring so the paint matches up right. I had to replace my middle right. The paint from the new one matches perfectly. 250 bucks and 10 minutes to replace.

For the saddlebag I would just tape off the bad bag cover creatively and hit it with spray in bedliner. It holds up well and matches the lower faring and rear fender. its not like the bags arent gonna get torn up by boots, rocks, etc later anyway. 5 bucks and some tape/sandpaper. If you do it and dont like it then get it painted or replace the bag and you're out 5 bucks. If you do like it, do the other bag.

Total price 255 bucks.

Not my old bike but mine looked just as good.

http://www.zggtr.org...hp?topic=4598.0

• Member Contributer

PURCHASE SOME GEAR FIRST !!!!!!

Only reason I said I was going to purchase the pictures immediately is, because I did not want to use killboys pictures with out purchasing them first. They took the time to take and post the pictures, and if I want to use the pics I should at least purchase them. You are right though, I do need to improve my ridding gear, and will soon.

And next time let me know, i will guide you and give some free advice.

• Member Contributer

If you're gonna keep it the same color, JMHO but I would just order the middle faring so the paint matches up right. I had to replace my middle right. The paint from the new one matches perfectly. 250 bucks and 10 minutes to replace.

For the saddlebag I would just tape off the bad bag cover creatively and hit it with spray in bedliner. It holds up well and matches the lower faring and rear fender. its not like the bags arent gonna get torn up by boots, rocks, etc later anyway. 5 bucks and some tape/sandpaper. If you do it and dont like it then get it painted or replace the bag and you're out 5 bucks. If you do like it, do the other bag.

Total price 255 bucks.

Not my old bike but mine looked just as good.

http://www.zggtr.org...hp?topic=4598.0

That is actually the route I was thinking about. I've just been trying to figure out how I want to tape/paint the rear bags. I like what he did with the concourse, but I would have to do it to just the front of the bags. The middle side cowl can be purchased for 192.64 from powersportsplus. I just got the upper right cowl in from them and it's perfect.

I think I'll just order the replacement parts and fix it the cheap way. Good suggestion.

Thanks

I would think that if I had to have damage on the bag the front would be the best to do a undercoat spray to. Nobody who doesn't own a vfr will ever think that it is anything other than a factory chip protection coat. I went with a light coat of 3m professional grade undercoating over a rubberized bumper coat and it matched the frame color and texture perfect. I mean perfect, perfect.

Photo0332-1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hey Tin. Do you remember what brand bumper paint you used? I wonder if this would work on the plastic frame guards near the foot pegs which get scratched up from boots...

Archived