Does anyone else enjoy riding in the rain?

Guest Recalcitrance

• Member Contributer

Nah ... I'm with those that would rather leave wet riding than take it ... I'm lucky enough to have other options to get to work when it's blubbering. Mind when i first started riding on the road I couldn't get enough and would ride rain, hail or shine. Many years later I've mellowed in my riding habits somewhat.

I reckon the rain thing is kindof understandable but the riding in traffic fettish that you have going on is, IMHO, a little odd. Each to his own though -> whatever squeezes your lemons :happy:

• Member Contributer

Depends on the rain. I've been caught in enough storms to go both ways.

Never been a fan of traffic though. Instead of being able to focus on the scenery I instead get to focus on what some idiot cager might do to put an early end to my life (too many distracted drivers now-a-days). And I absolutely can't stand stop-n-go traffic to the point that I have shifted my work schedule around peak traffic hours. Roasting on a hot VFR in New Mexico heat over comes any form of joy I get from riding. But then I have been spoiled with nice mountain twisties just a few miles from where I live so of course traffic would suck for me. :wink:

I enjoy riding in the rain. I have coworkers who accuse me of prefering to ride in the rain.

I often say that riding in all weather conditions is one of the best things you can do to improve your skill set.

Guest Recalcitrance

I enjoy riding in the rain. I have coworkers who accuse me of prefering to ride in the rain.

I often say that riding in all weather conditions is one of the best things you can do to improve your skill set.

Well said.

If I need to go 4 wheeling, I'll borrow my riding buddy's truck or just rent a car for the day. I don't drive enough to warrant actually owning or even leasing a car.

California law states that splitting lanes up to 45mph is legal (maybe a taaaaaaaaaad bit faster....) so traffic is more of a technical exercise to me than a ride. Besides, in terms of scenery, there is none along the 405, 55, or 5 freeways.

If I couldn't split lanes, it would be a very different story.

I was splitting lanes a couple of weeks ago...I bumped a car and then I had to file a claim. 68 bucks was what he got. I scraped his clearcoat...

Grrr! My bags are a bit fatter than I thought!

DOH! :huh:

• Member Contributer

Lane splitting is wonderful, I wish other states would allow it, I had the pleasure of enjoying "Two wheeled fun in the land of the Tolerant" last month :smile: Here in Washington people feel violated if you pass them....so it is more of a ride back & forth over the white line for me :happy: (which is daily) To me when lane splitting or back & forth over the line I seem to be hyper vigilant after 6 years of the same commute I am able to predict peoples actions...When driving a car (8 days last year) I lose all this....

No! I've ridden enough miles in the rain and even some snow on my motorcycle and bicycle to not miss it and even hate it. I'll leave that kind of riding to BMW GS owners who seem to always want to make a point or show off by being the only bikes out on the road in the worst weather....blehhh!....

Beck

95 VFR

I won't leave for work in the rain, but if it happens I am not sticking around to see if it quits or anything. I am still nervous when the roads are wet on curvy mountain type roads, not worries on the commute. Traffic I could do without and no one in their right mind wants bumper to bumper in the summer in TX....black gear cooks you!...but I don't mind now that it is cooler (80ish)

• Member Contributer

Enjoy riding in the rain, will say this, it's not as bad as I thought it would be, have a stitch but no waterproof gloves or boots. If I had waterproof gloves and boots, who cares if it's going to rain! Put it that way. Do not have heated gear so the cut off for me is around 55 degrees give or take a few depending on the sun, but I do like to ride in the colder months, nice crisp air and in a few weeks when the leaves change color, saddle up!!

• Member Contributer

Well said.

If I need to go 4 wheeling, I'll borrow my riding buddy's truck or just rent a car for the day. I don't drive enough to warrant actually owning or even leasing a car.

California law states that splitting lanes up to 45mph is legal (maybe a taaaaaaaaaad bit faster....) so traffic is more of a technical exercise to me than a ride. Besides, in terms of scenery, there is none along the 405, 55, or 5 freeways.

If I couldn't split lanes, it would be a very different story.

I've never read nor heard that there is a 45mph speed limit concearning sharing lanes. My understanding is that there just plain is no law restricting it. Comes down to if the cop thinks you are driving "unsafe speed for conditions". I just go as fast as I feel is safe. I've seen people who should be pulled over for splitting way too fast but the CHP would have to be just as wreckless to attempt to chase them. I've passed CHP cruisers at below 70mph with no problem. I agree that freeways are an excercise in survival even more so in the rain. I certaintly don't encourage anyone to exceed their comfort level when splitting.

Living in an island nation with a maritime climate, I have little choice about riding weather. There's been times when it's been so heavy it's been a real experience, and I've been glad of it (even with boots and gloves full of water!) It's best though when it's really pissing down and I'm still dry. That wasn't the case on Tuesday this week, when my jacket (Macna Summit) leaked slightly in the front during very heavy rain on the way to work, wetting my front just above my belly button. On the way home I got cunning, and put a thin plastic garbage bag under the jacket - arrived dry as a bone! (But it took my pants, gloves and jacket three days to dry completely...)

• Member Contributer

I like riding in the rain.

I like riding in traffic.

I also like blasting down the interstate on a bitterly cold day just to see the reaction on the faces of the cagers.

Maybe I need a hobby or something.

• Member Contributer

I live in Washington, I either ride in the rain, or the bike needs a lot of dusting. I hate to dust so I ride in the rain. I don't particularly like traffic, I see no reason to give them any more chances to hit me than I already do. I do NOT like riding in crosswinds. 30mph gusts may not seem like a lot but I don't weigh much and my Zed doesn't weigh much and getting moved into another lane by the wind is not my idea of a good time. When that lane is the oncoming traffic lane, it's even less of a good time. :sad:

Least favorite windy spot so far??? The Washoe Valley in Nevada where you get to lean left to go right because the wind is about to blow you over. The first time I went to the Topaz Lodge it took me 3 tries to find a parking spot sheltered enough that the bike didn't blow over. After I got home a friend of mine sent me pictures of the tractor/trailer rigs that blow over in that valley every year. :ohmy:

Enjoy riding in the rain, will say this, it's not as bad as I thought it would be, have a stitch but no waterproof gloves or boots. If I had waterproof gloves and boots, who cares if it's going to rain! Put it that way. Do not have heated gear so the cut off for me is around 55 degrees give or take a few depending on the sun, but I do like to ride in the colder months, nice crisp air and in a few weeks when the leaves change color, saddle up!!

Good point! I much prefer winter rain to summer, cause already wearing the rain gear. Course light summer rain is not biggy without gear, Unfortunately, if the Big N Hits? Your gonn be turnin you boots upside down draining water with no gear

• Member Contributer

I've never read nor heard that there is a 45mph speed limit concearning sharing lanes. My understanding is that there just plain is no law restricting it. Comes down to if the cop thinks you are driving "unsafe speed for conditions". I just go as fast as I feel is safe. I've seen people who should be pulled over for splitting way too fast but the CHP would have to be just as wreckless to attempt to chase them. I've passed CHP cruisers at below 70mph with no problem. I agree that freeways are an excercise in survival even more so in the rain. I certaintly don't encourage anyone to exceed their comfort level when splitting.

I never heard there was an absolute limit, 10 mph or so above traffic speed seems to be the consensus. I rarely do it when traffic is moving over 25mph, just not enough reaction time otherwise. I nicked a guy's mirror a few months ago after many years without problems so I'm a little more careful now.

I'm ok with lane splitting in any traffic, or riding in the rain, or doing both on my back road commute. But not both on the freeways. Even in heavy rain it's nice to lane split to the front at a light to avoid all the road spray. Had my first rain ride of the fall this week and looking forward to premium motorcycle parking at work when all the Harleys are garaged for the winter!

Archived