Dyna Bead alternative?

SEBSPEED

For those of you that like using the Dyna Beads for tire balance, you might try this as a cheaper alternative. Saw it posted on another forum with claimed good results from using 1oz front/2oz rear.

http://www.amazon.com/BBTAC-BBTAC-5000-012-bag-5000-0-12g-airsoft/dp/B000SUWQKY

51ed%2BRO3pJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks Seb - I plan to go that route on rear tire change on my Valky coming up. I havent decided about using on the viffer.

I have read about these in several bike forums and there's lots of back and forth about them. Seems what it comes down to is the guys

who have tried them swear by them.

I tried them, and I'm staying with a static balance. Just my preference. I know there are folks on here that like them **coughCHEVcoughcough**, so I'd love to see hthose of you try this alternative and maybe save some dough. Or take up bb guns as a hobby, either way works I guess... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I'm kinda with you on that - on a "sporty" style bike,(VFR) these just seem "wrong" - but on a 725 pound cruiser - why not? :ohmy:

Seems like the guys with heavy weight bikes are the ones that like them.

When i had my ktm 530exc i tried those, did nothing for me.

One of the magazines put the tire on a pro static balancer with the beads and it did nothing also

• Member Contributer

One of the magazines put the tire on a pro static balancer with the beads and it did nothing also

Uh..fail right there! These things only work when the wheel is spinning fast against with an imperfect centre of rotation. In other words, dynabeads won't work on a tire balancing machine because it's too rigid and they won't work on a static balancer because that's just mind numbingly dumb.

For dynabeads (or any similar technology) to work, the wheel has to be both spinning and bouncing up and down. It is the act of bouncing up and down that causes the beads to move around and settle in the position that causes the wheel to self-balance.

HOWEVER, having fitted these to both wheels on my VFR I'm not sure if they work when you pop a wheelie and get the front wheel crossed up. I have SmarTire pressure monitoring transmitters strapped to the inside of my rims and I need about 50+ grams of lead to balance my wheels because of it. On the weekend I popped a few crossed-up wheelies coming out of corners in the mountains and I swear the front wheel vibrated severely. I think the beads were getting thrown to the outside edges of the tire due to the wheel spinning in one direction but travelling in another. Either that or with the wheel in the air it wasn't creating the necessary force to move the beads into the right position.

Annoying, but I've got some advice on balancing wheels using just my race stand and a steel rod with a couple of bearings from Scudman.

Regular .12g airsoft pellets are too light, you'd need a lot of them to get the required weight. I use the .20g high density pellets. I've only used them in one tire so far -- the only tire I've changed since hearing about bead balancing. That's the rear tire on my Blackbird, and they work perfectly. Zero tire vibration, and the XX is one bike where new vibration will stand out :cool: I've done about 4000km with them so far, including a 1000+ km day trip with a 150 km stretch each way where I was cruising at about 190 kph. The XX and my VFR are both getting new tires soon and they'll be getting BBs all round.

Yes, hitting a big bump etc will momentarily disrupt the dynamic balance you get with beads. No, you'll never notice it in normal riding (depending on what you call normal, I guess). OTOH, dynamic balancing is impervious (within limits) to situations like getting a gob of mud stuck on the wheel.

Also -- Scudman's videos are awesome :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Annoying, but I've got some advice on balancing wheels using just my race stand and a steel rod with a couple of bearings from Scudman.

Makes balancing look pretty simple... and taught but someone who looks and sounds like Joe Pesci in My Uncle Vinny.

I know there are folks on here that like them **coughCHEVcoughcough**

And I had to pull out every one of the beads from his old tire and put them in the new tire last time so he didn't have to buy new ones. :beatdeadhorse:

That being said, I did put the balancing beads in my motorhome tires. I mounted them myself and my machine isn't big enough to balance them, so I went with the beads. They seem to work well enough in that application. I've done motorcycle tires for a number of other people that like the beads too, but they just aren't worth the expense and trouble when I have a balancer that I know will get them right.

• Member Contributer

I would not recommend putting these in your wheel. They break apart at low impact against each other. My son and I have a gel trap target for air-soft guns. When you hit a BB already stuck to the target they break apart.

• Member Contributer

I can think of only one aplication where beads are good...............

:offtopic:

:biggrin:

3268532676_028c51bb37.jpg

I would not recommend putting these in your wheel. They break apart at low impact against each other. My son and I have a gel trap target for air-soft guns. When you hit a BB already stuck to the target they break apart.

That may be. On the other hand, the person I saw that had used these, claimed over 1000mi of use with no evident breakdown. I don't think these have enough room inside the tire to build up the force needed to break each other.

• Member Contributer

That may be. On the other hand, the person I saw that had used these, claimed over 1000mi of use with no evident breakdown. I don't think these have enough room inside the tire to build up the force needed to break each other.

That could be. I guess when they hit the target from 15 feet away, the speed of travel is still around 250 ft/sec or so.

• Member Contributer

I put them in on my tire change last month. I found that when I slowed down and took the tight turn to get on the on ramp to the interstate (which is part of my daily commute) the beads would settle to the side of the tire and then when I accelerated they didn't have a chance to change position and now i'm going down the interstate at 80mph and my front tire was vibrating enough to be annoying for the next 26 miles of my commute.

I took them out of the front tire and had it static balanced. I kept them in the rear tire and haven't had any problems since.

I really like the idea of them. I'm not sure they're the best for a lighter more manueverable bike. Oh well, just like anything else...there's those that swear by them and those that won't touch them with a 10-ft pole.

My .02.

YellowFuzz

About two years ago I experienced imbalance issues in the front end after paying to have two new Bridgestone tires mounted and balanced by a local shop.

What I should have done is take the bike back to the shop, but after reviewing Dyna Bead's website I decided give them a try. When the package arrived installed the volume of beads recommended per the instructions. Not surprisingly I discovered that the installation procedure was considerably more tedious and time consuming than I was led to believe by the mfg's website.

Frankly, I've concluded that the dyna beads were not very effective at eliminating wheel imbalances on my motorcycle. Note that I initially installed the dyna beads w/o removing the lead weights. While taking a ride afterward I noticed little, if any improvement. So next I removed the lead weights before taking another ride. As before, I noticed little,if any improvement in the results.

As others have mentioned I've also noticed that while riding on bumpy roads and after coming to a stop and starting up again it's common for the front wheel to feel like it's out-of-balance for at least several revolutions. I'll also mention that since the rear wheel seemed fine I have not installed the dyna beads in that assembly.

I've concluded that installing the recommended amount of dyna beads did little, if anything to eliminate imbalances felt in my Speed Triple's front wheel assembly. Since then I've purchased a static motorcycle wheel balancer on sale at Harbor Freight Tools and I would like to use this tool to re-balance my S3's front wheel assembly. Of course, before I could do so I would be foreced to first remove the tire from the wheel to extract the dyna beads inside. Since the tire has accumulated around ~4k miles, I'll probably choose to live w/the imbalance issue (which is aggravating... but bearable) until the tire wears out in lieu of spending the time and effort required to remove the wheel assembly, pull off the tire, the re-install the same after after static balancing the wheel assembly.

For those of you who subscribe to Motorcycle Consumer News, be advised that the magazine's testers evaluated dyna beads and concluded the product was not effective and that a carefully executed static balance provided superior results. I wish I had read this article before ordering dyna beads and the accessories necessary to install them in a tire that's already mounted on the wheel.

In any case I don't plan to purchasing more dyna beads and was tempted to return what I purchased for a refund. However, since I was only out of pocket $31.48 ($22.97 beads & installation accessories + $8.41 shipping) I decided doing so would not be worth the return shipping costs or my trouble.

These things only work when the wheel is spinning fast against with an imperfect centre of rotation. In other words, dynabeads won't work on a tire balancing machine because it's too rigid and they won't work on a static balancer because that's just mind numbingly dumb.

For dynabeads (or any similar technology) to work, the wheel has to be both spinning and bouncing up and down. It is the act of bouncing up and down that causes the beads to move around and settle in the position that causes the wheel to self-balance.

Color me skeptical, but a product that can't be tested empirically doesn't get my vote. I certainly understand why a static balancer wouldn't make these things work, but I'd think putting the wheel on a dymanic balancer and giving it a good spin would make them work as advertised.

Also, how do you know how much weight of these things to put in?

I certainly understand why a static balancer wouldn't make these things work, but I'd think putting the wheel on a dymanic balancer and giving it a good spin would make them work as advertised.

The dynamic balancer holds the wheel in the center and spins it. The machine itself feels where the wheel pulls or vibrates and calculates where to put the weights. I think the beads rely on the wheel actually moving up and down along with the rotation to displace the beads where they need to be for balancing. You can't get that movement on a dynamic balancer.

• Member Contributer

It seems that guys with heavier bikes (especially Gold WIngs) love these things. I am lucky to get 2,800 miles out of a set of tires...I was up in Woodstock at Traxxion getting some shock work done last month and heard these two Wingers talking about how with the Dyna beads they are close to 32,000 miles on a set of tires where befoer they struggled to exceed 25,000 miles...blah blah blah...it wouldnt piss me off as much if I hadn't been passed by YellowWolf at least four times on the Gap in the past. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Tried Dynabeads in the past and didn't have a good feel for them.

Bought static balancer and never had issues again.

Remaining beads languishing in my garage somewhere...

• 3 weeks later...

Motorcycle Consumer News , October 2006, tested the beads and concluded they do not work. Use of the beads will also void the warranty on your tire. I mount and balance my own tires..and a LOT of tires for friends and work associates so I don't know how much it costs to have a wheel balanced, but I don't think it's that much more than a bag of Dyna Beads. Spend the extra couple of bucks and get it done right

Archived