5th gen engine in 6th gen

168sierra

Question

I am considering installing a 5th gen (2000) engine into a 6th gen (2003) to take advantage of the power of the 5th gen engine and gear driven cams (love the sound) and the handling of the 6th gen with an RC51 front end.

Has anyone used the 6th gen FI on a 5th gen motor? From what I have read, the throttle bodies bolt on. I was palnning to use the 330 ohm resistors to bypass the O2 sensors and run a catless header. I am thinking of trying to reflash the ECU with a 5 th gen fuel map. This should be close but will probably need some fine tuning.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't be the only one who wants this combination.

Pics to follow

• Answers 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My apologies for bumping an old thread but this seemed a logical place to ask more questions about a potential swap.

So the 5th gen rear valve cover causes interference with the rear of the 6th gen frame?

I read the UK link earlier and I didn't completely understand what he was saying.

Was he removing material from the 5th gen valve cover to create clearance for the 6th gen frame?

I am considering a swap into my 2003 VFR and re-using all the 6th gen intake, ignition, and and exhaust components.

Any insight is appreciated.

PS- I know there are better options like just buying a 5th gen but this swap seems doable and worth the effort in my opinion.

• Member Contributer

PM MiniCarver for the definitive answer, but I think he used the '02 frame which fits the 5th Gen engine without modification. Spark plug boots and coils are a whole other issue, but not insurmountable.

PM MiniCarver for the definitive answer, but I think he used the '02 frame which fits the 5th Gen engine without modification. Spark plug boots and coils are a whole other issue, but not insurmountable.

Is there any difference between an 02 frame and 03 frame?

There are a series of good videos on youtube about putting coil on plugs into a 5th gen frame. Looks like wirring harness connectors and coils from CBR1000RR fit 5th gen motor with slight mods.

• Member Contributer

Holy sheet, so a 5th gen engine goes into a '02 frame? Sounds like a future project to me.

---- Why the frame change for the 6th gen in the first place? Anybody know the history on that?

Looking at the applications at the bottom of the page, both frames are listed to be applied to '02s, ..... now I'm confused.... :unsure:

:cool:

Okay. Here is a good visual representation of what is different between a 5th gen rear valve cover and a 6th gen valve cover. They look very similar to me. Maybe the 5th gen rear mount causes the motor to mount farther back?

Any ideas what part causes interference on 5th gen valve cover?

5th%20gen%20rear-M.jpg

6th%20gen%20top-M.jpg

5th%20gen%20rear%20iso-M.jpg

6th%20gen%20iso-M.jpg

• Member Contributer

^^^ LOL

You gotta stir things up... dont ya?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Can't swap the valve covers, by the way...

No idea on the frame change. Maybe they had too many 2001 5th Gen left overs and just ran through the stock before 03?

• Member Contributer

No idea on the frame change. Maybe they had too many 2001 5th Gen left overs and just ran through the stock before 03?

You Carvers have done the deed......... So again, please, please, please...... some pics on the swap?

You Carvers have done the deed......... So again, please, please, please...... some pics on the swap?

I'm sure those Carvers have done the deed like some late great NBA players. They just don't want to talk about it. Maybe they're writing a book and are planning a tour to promote it. :wink:

• Member Contributer

I'm sure those Carvers have done the deed like some late great NBA players. They just don't want to talk about it. Maybe they're writing a book and are planning a tour to promote it. :wink:

Or waiting for TMac14 !!!

Holy sheet, so a 5th gen engine goes into a '02 frame? Sounds like a future project to me.

---- Why the frame change for the 6th gen in the first place? Anybody know the history on that?

Looking at the applications at the bottom of the page, both frames are listed to be applied to '02s, ..... now I'm confused.... :unsure:

:cool:

People been posting for years about the beefed of frame ,suspension and other pieces on the 6thgen, but all people care about is the gear driven cams that was lost,

• Member Contributer

I haven't been over there since they got it running. I think they are planning a big TMac unveil...

• Member Contributer

We were planning a big reveal at TMac but I guess we should try to go ahead start a build thread...It has just taken the better part of 7 months to figure it out and sort through the interweb for all of the parts we needed (or thought we needed) based on the information that is available.

I will say this, there is some good info and some that is off-base out there so we should try to clear up what we found and answer any questions that you lot may have.

Just a teaser...

From this...

IMG 0379[1]

We arrived at this...

TCClass 040514 243

We were planning a big reveal at TMac but I guess we should try to go ahead start a build thread...It has just taken the better part of 7 months to figure it out and sort through the interweb for all of the parts we needed (or thought we needed) based on the information that is available.

I will say this, there is some good info and some that is off-base out there so we should try to clear up what we found and answer any questions that you lot may have.

Just a teaser...

From this...

We arrived at this...

Thank you for posting. We're excited to hear about this after TMAC!

• Member Contributer

I'm in the process of doing this conversion at present.

Working on a low km '99 engine at present that will end up in my 2010 6th Gen

Currently having cams profiled to RC45 specs and cleaning ports up etc.

Waiting on a set of 74mm CBR929 pistons before reboring. 825cc and 12.3:1 comp.

My understanding is that the motor fits the frame without issues as the cam covers are 15mm lower on the 5th Gen.

Mark Harris modified the cam covers so as he could use the standard 3 wire 6th Gen coil packs and I'm going to be doing the same.

With my RapidBike 3 I can make the fuel map suit the constant 4 valve operation so it should be all go.

I'd be really interested to see what your install came out like.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

• Member Contributer

I'm in the process of doing this conversion at present.

Working on a low km '99 engine at present that will end up in my 2010 6th Gen

Currently having cams profiled to RC45 specs and cleaning ports up etc.

Waiting on a set of 74mm CBR929 pistons before reboring. 825cc and 12.3:1 comp.

My understanding is that the motor fits the frame without issues as the cam covers are 15mm lower on the 5th Gen.

Mark Harris modified the cam covers so as he could use the standard 3 wire 6th Gen coil packs and I'm going to be doing the same.

With my RapidBike 3 I can make the fuel map suit the constant 4 valve operation so it should be all go.

I'd be really interested to see what your install came out like.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

do you have the RC45 cam specs to share?

lift, duration, degrees, etc...

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Archived