Catastrophic Pilot Road 3 Failure

y2kRC46

• Member Contributer

I'm not a big tire expert, but that rear looks like it participated in a very long, power brake, smokey burnout.

The front tire shredded at 35 mph. Really? Those tires are designed for what, 150 mph+? Even with a serious flaw I can't imagine it shredding at 35. Why was he so close to the car? Couldn't he use the rear brake to stop the bike when the front started shredding? He didn't say it exploded, he said shredded. He must have had a few seconds to slow the bike down. Something smells fishy.

Maybe he was impressing his woman with a wheelie, realized how close he was to her car, slammed the rear brake, and the front tire blew as it slammed the ground/car and he slammed through the window.

He is probably hesitant to hire an attorney because, well, maybe something like this happened.

I'm just sayin'.

Hey Everyone,

I just saw a disturbing article and wanted to bring it to peoples attention

who are running or considering running Pilot Road 3s.

I learned of this article from my brother and googled it.

These pics are taken from the fz6 forum and are the property of the forum/owner?

original thread: http://www.fz6-forum...d-3-here-8.html

post-17088-0-08918800-1309197122_thumb.j

post-17088-0-24531700-1309197106_thumb.j

His front tire failed as well resulting in a crash. I will not post the crash pictures.

Please be careful and check your tires before a ride no matter what brand you may have mounted!

Regards,

P

I"ve read the original post, and some things don't sound quite right to me... I have to call BS on this one.

- the poster claimed 10,000 on the tires but they look like fairly new tires that may have went through a long burnout or extended high-speed run (based on the tread depth and tire discoloration).I've ran over a tire stop strip, a series of caltrops placed in the road, and different metal object fallen off cars.... each time the damage to my tires was very close to that pictured. The pictures really look to me like the rider ran over something in the road.

- The poster claimed the front tires "shredded" at 35 mph. I've had front tires go flat on me at over 100+ mph, and not crashed into cars or other objects on the road because of it - and I'm certainly no Evel Knievel. The only way you run under a vehicle at 35 mph, even with a completely flat front tire, is by following too closely or hitting black ice or an oil slick - yet the poster claimed this was a clear dry day and the photos seem to support that. Legally, almost anytime you rear-end another vehicle you are presumed to be following too closely. He doesn't show a very clear picture of the front tire, but even a completely flat front tire wouldn't have caused this accident.

IMO Spike's squiddly scenario is much more likely. Especially since the poster hasn't provided any more details to back up his story. I'm just sayin'.

• Member Contributer

A failure on your rubber can have some serious consequences indeed................ :biggrin:

According to the OP in the FZ6 thread he was running 85 mph on the freeway in 100+ degree heat with 33F / 36 R tire pressures. Those pressures sound pretty low to me - I don't have an FZ6 manual but both my vfr and 600rr manuals call for 36/42 so I'd assume the Yamaha would be similar. So it sounds to me like they were underinflated given the conditions. Pretty scary results, nonetheless, if the story is true.

You hit the nail on the head so to speak. Having been a semi driver, the main cause for those blowouts is underinflation even when using retreads.

• Member Contributer

I have about 2500miles on my PR3s (yammy R1) and wear is perfect but I am anal about my tire pressure (keep it at recommended spec). The thread in question just reeks of rider error and stupidity. While I am interested to check back on it to see the outcome I am not worried about my current set of PR3s at all. They are a fantastic tire so far. Just like the PR2s.

• Forum CEO

I have been using pilot roads for years now and the most I have ever gotten out of a rear tire is 6.5k males taking it easy, at least 12 sets and never had that kind of milage nor that kind of wear. I can only think of one recall by Michelin in all the years I have used them on Pilot powers, specific to a certain plant in Spain if I remember correctly. All I can say is I would need more proof, more reports to stop using Michlins. this thread is just too fishy too me - BUT now I will be looking for it in the forums I visit. Searching for other similar reports.

• Forum CEO

http://www.facebook.com/michelinpilotroad3

Looks like Michelin is looking into it, all the reports I have seen are comming from this one incident. I also recall a famous motogp race where a Michelin came apart on Valintino Rossi, but thats a race tire under extreme circumstances.

• Member Contributer

Link to the original topic HERE.

The whole thing just sounds too strange and disturbing to pass the smell test IMHO.

After the rear disintegrated from heat and after noticing heat build-up on the front tire, the guy still kept riding the same front tire, which had caused him to do a head dive into the back of his SO's truck...

This plus the lack of similar reports from others who have used these tires makes it a suspect.

I don't have the facts to doubt his words, I'm just saying that the scant facts at hand make it sound a bit... odd.

I was only trying to inform members to perhaps follow this information as it progresses and or look for simular problems so it can be documented

I was only concerned for safety of members such as yourself and not to cause a discussion on fact or fiction or imply that it is a bad set of tires.

RIDER SAFETY was my only concern

Regards

P

My comments weren't directed at you. I just called BS on the story.

My own tires will be due soon and I'll be sure to stay away from the 3s until the dust settles. Just in case.

Thanks for posting this.

He doesn't show a very clear picture of the front tire

Yeah, I wold like to see a pic of the front tire too. The rear doen't look like it has been hot at all, the surface looks too smooth, but then again, those are just phone pics..

• Member Contributer

According to the OP in the FZ6 thread he was running 85 mph on the freeway in 100+ degree heat with 33F / 36 R tire pressures. Those pressures sound pretty low to me - I don't have an FZ6 manual but both my vfr and 600rr manuals call for 36/42 so I'd assume the Yamaha would be similar. So it sounds to me like they were underinflated given the conditions. Pretty scary results, nonetheless, if the story is true.

Browsing the Michelin PR3 facebook page I noticed one person requested a recommended tire pressure for a 2007 FZ6. Michelin responded with 33.5 psi front and 42 psi rear, so he was pretty low on the rear if he kept it at 36 psi.

I also think his claim of just under 10k on the tires is BS. There is alot of tread left in those pics for there to be 10k on them. I don't recall hear very many peopl break the 10k mark on the PR2's and I can't imagine the PR3's life is going to that much greater than the PR2. The most I've ever heard anyone get on a sport touring rear tire is 14k that my buddy got on a Metzler Z6 rear tire.

The fact that the guy admits to a 130mph crash in a Mustang on the highway tells me he's probably not very bright and a risk taker.

• Member Contributer

I'm not a big tire expert, but that rear looks like it participated in a very long, power brake, smokey burnout.

I thought the same thing. It could just be a weird light angle on the tires or something but the center of my tires is a nice matte black due to normal contact with the rough surface of the asphalt. That guy's rear tire center looks shiny and smooth like it's been doing burn outs.

Why Would I go to Spacebook or Myface to get tire pressure recommendations? Whats wrong with the owners manual???

I mean just lookit all the dang warning stickers all over the bike! The tire pressures are clearly posted!!

And yes, 33/36 sounds low to me. On the track, with slicks, and taking into account track temps plus cold/hot tire pressures, maybe that might work for some bike on some track on some day, but your typical street pressures with street tires are generally higher. Plus it makes your bike steer heavier, which kinda sucks.

• Member Contributer

That bike was laid down? Passenger pegs look great. Aside from the holes in the rubber that bike looks good.

interesting, whilst I havent read the thread it question I'll make a comment about distances on tyres

I'm on my first set of michelins previously I've been running dunlop roadsmarts;

I've have a pilot power 2ct on the front which has given me 6k klm and is ready for a change and a pilot road 2ct on the rear which is still going strong at 6k klm

tyre wear is so much about four factors

1. tyre pressure

2. road conditions

3. temperature

4. that black thing on the right hand side of the bike

with the dunlops I would get 10K klm out of the rear with the front being well and truly shagged so i'm interested to see how many klm's I get out of the rear

i've purposely put a sports tyre on the front because I wanted the extra grip and at only $95 from jakewilson.com its still far far cheaper to get two fronts for one rear using that website than getting tyres here in australia; a set would cost well over $550 were as online I can get a set delivered for $300

go jakewilson.com and the mighty aussie dollar :thumbsup

interesting, whilst I havent read the thread it question I'll make a comment about distances on tyres

I'm on my first set of michelins previously I've been running dunlop roadsmarts;

I've have a pilot power 2ct on the front which has given me 6k klm and is ready for a change and a pilot road 2ct on the rear which is still going strong at 6k klm

1. tyre pressure

2. road conditions

3. temperature

with the dunlops I would get 10K klm out of the rear with the front being well and truly shagged so i'm interested to see how many klm's I get out of the rear

i've purposely put a sports tyre on the front because I wanted the extra grip and at only $95 from jakewilson.com its still far far cheaper to get two fronts for one rear using that website than getting tyres here in australia; a set would cost well over $550 were as online I can get a set delivered for $300

So do you fit them yourself, and what about balancing?

How long does postage take?

I'm thinking of going that way. We get ripped off here it seems.

1. tyre pressure

2. road conditions

3. temperature

So do you fit them yourself, and what about balancing?

How long does postage take?

I'm thinking of going that way. We get ripped off here it seems.

delivery takes around 3 - 4 days

and I go to a bike mechanic to get them fitted & balanced which costs between $50 - $80 depending on time spent

so it could cost up to $380 for a set of tyres bought and fitted still a great value when you consider a rear costs that much itself

I have been using Michelin's almost completely faithfully with the exception of a couple fantastic deals that I got with another manufacturer and I normally regretted it. Just last week I removed the stockers from the bike and put on a set of the new Pilot Road 3 and I couldn't be much happier.

Before each ride I visually inspect all external moving parts of the bike including tire tread and pressure. Reading the post from the guy, I'm suspecting an I-D-10-T error on his part that he either did wrong on or off the road which could include inproper pressures. As far as pressures, I try to stick somewhat close to factory specs but with all tires being different, the perfect operating pressures will also vary. So far I'm running -2psi on the front and haven't touched the rear yet. My race tires get 30psi front and 24psi rear as recommended by the Michelin tire man.

I too will be searching all forums here and far for more info regarding this particular problem but I still believe that since the tires have been out for a few months already, we would have seen more info about failures from others if it were a manufacturing defect.

There was a post on Sport-touring.net of a rear pilot road 2 faliure sometime ago. ill see if i can dig it up

here it is

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,57194.0.html

jiminey Christmas, that forum is messssed up. The went off the rails and started flaming each other on the 3rd page. AND there are 7 nonsensical pages to follow.

Jeeze ........I feel like F.Scott Fitzgerald now.

• Member Contributer

There was a post on Sport-touring.net of a rear pilot road 2 faliure sometime ago. ill see if i can dig it up

here it is

jiminey Christmas, that forum is messssed up. The went off the rails and started flaming each other on the 3rd page. AND there are 7 nonsensical pages to follow.

OMG... only you man. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

here it is

You think thats bad, check out a Blackberry or iPhone forum, your head will just explode, trying to find anything useful...

• Member Contributer

Am I the only one who feels bad for Michelin? Taking all this crap online over 1 tire from 1 rider who probably messed it up himself?

Archived