Catastrophic Pilot Road 3 Failure

y2kRC46

Hey Everyone,

I just saw a disturbing article and wanted to bring it to peoples attention

who are running or considering running Pilot Road 3s.

I learned of this article from my brother and googled it.

These pics are taken from the fz6 forum and are the property of the forum/owner?

original thread: http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/35444-michelin-pilot-road-3-here-8.html

post-17088-0-08918800-1309197122_thumb.j

post-17088-0-24531700-1309197106_thumb.j

His front tire failed as well resulting in a crash. I will not post the crash pictures.

Please be careful and check your tires before a ride no matter what brand you may have mounted!

Regards,

P

Hey Everyone,

I just saw a disturbing article and wanted to bring it to peoples attention

who are running or considering running Pilot Road 3s.

These pics are taken from the fz6 forum and are the property of the forum/owner?

His front tire failed as well resulting in a crash. I will not post the crash pictures.

Please be careful and check your tires before a ride no matter what brand you may have mounted!

Regards,

P

Yikes. Will be interesting to follow this story.

• Member Contributer

Ouch... hope he is going to be OK.... Front and back both fail at the same time? Don't think I've heard of that happening before.

• Member Contributer

Link to the original topic HERE.

The whole thing just sounds too strange and disturbing to pass the smell test IMHO.

After the rear disintegrated from heat and after noticing heat build-up on the front tire, the guy still kept riding the same front tire, which had caused him to do a head dive into the back of his SO's truck...

This plus the lack of similar reports from others who have used these tires makes it a suspect.

I don't have the facts to doubt his words, I'm just saying that the scant facts at hand make it sound a bit... odd.

Ouch... hope he is going to be OK.... Front and back both fail at the same time? Don't think I've heard of that happening before.

failures happened a few days apart I believe

P

• Forum CEO

This guy is claiming he has 10,000 miles on that tire? Jeez they don't even look worn that much, another guy said he has 16k? I don't anywhere near that kind of milage. Somthing don't sound right?

The whole thing just sounds too strange and disturbing to pass the smell test IMHO.

After the rear disintegrated from heat and after noticing heat build-up on the front tire, the guy still kept riding the same front tire, which had caused him to do a head dive into the back of his SO's truck...

This plus the lack of similar reports from others who have used these tires makes it a suspect.

I don't have the facts to doubt his words, I'm just saying that the scant facts at hand make it sound a bit... odd.

I was only trying to inform members to perhaps follow this information as it progresses and or look for simular problems so it can be documented

I was only concerned for safety of members such as yourself and not to cause a discussion on fact or fiction or imply that it is a bad set of tires.

RIDER SAFETY was my only concern

Regards

P

• Member Contributer

I was only trying to inform members to perhaps follow this information as it progresses and or look for simular problems so it can be documented

I was only concerned for safety of members such as yourself and not to cause a discussion on fact or fiction or imply that it is a bad set of tires.

Regards

P

I wouldn't worry about it bro. I'm sure nobody is up in arms about that. I personally enjoy threads like this as more times that I can remember it leads to some kind of rider error or oversight or neglect on the rider that should be brought out in the light anways. Not to shun the guy who wrecked. It might save a poor noobs life like myself by taking something for granted like Tire Wear or "thinking" something is going to be fine, when in reality it isn't.

I don't know what it is but something is going on there. I've run several sets of michelins with no problems. I hope dude finds an answer and gets his bike, body and tires squared away soon.

Hopefully it is not a bad batch of tires, I would not like to see other riders safety jeopardized as well.

Regards

P

There will be discussions, but no one is directing them at you. It's good that you brought this up, no matter what the end result will be on these tyres.

10,000 miles on a tire that has only been available in the US and Canada since March - that's a lot of riding in just a few months. Both tires blowing?

I'm guessing it is a catastrophic failure due to hitting an obstacle on the road.

Smells fishy….

This guy is claiming he has 10,000 miles on that tire? Jeez they don't even look worn that much, another guy said he has 16k? I don't anywhere near that kind of milage. Somthing don't sound right?

I looked at the odometer on the FZ6 (His was a 2006 model) that was wrecked, it shows 10,000 miles, unless it came with PR3's back in 2006, he didn't put 10K on those tires.

Couldn't be for sure if it was the trip meter or odometer, but most trip meters only goes up to 999 miles

• Member Contributer

10,000 miles? Not on those tires.

+1 I've never gotten 10K out of any tire on any of my bikes. PR2 rear on the VFR lasted about 5000, and it was freakin' done. Granted the FZ6 is a fairly light bike, but the best I ever got out of ST tires on my ZX600 was 6-7K to the wear bars.

There are other factors we don't know about, like what speed and for how long, and tyre pressure, or did he run over something and was losing air at speed.(I'm not over looking what the owner said, but what it could be if he was off in his statement).

What needs to be done is to send it to Michelin, I'm sure they'd love to check it over(as mentioned earlier).

I don't buy it, there's not a tyre in the world that would go so soft you could prise the slits apart - unless you'd taken a blow torch to it!

10,000kms spot on on the speedo, then he rides the bike with the same tyres that have "failed".

Why do I suspect he had no insurance and is trying to screw Michelin?

Anyhow, should have been using Pirelli Angels, they're heaps better!

• Member Contributer

Hell I'm buying a Yamaha next time if you can get 10,000 miles out of a rear tire.

Dude. I got 9,000 out of a PR2 - but only a few hundred of that was in Tennessee or anywhere similar. :biggrin:

The FZ6 guy claimed to be a stickler for tire pressures because he had a blowout on the freeway at 130 in a Mustang.

It's a shame he plowed into his ol' lady's car, but if you are doing 130 mph on the freeway in a cage and don't get the hint about tire failure - well, you need to shut up, buy a new bike, and move on.

As has been said, something don't add up. I'll stick to PR2s as long as they make them, and it wouldn't be because of this incident.

According to the OP in the FZ6 thread he was running 85 mph on the freeway in 100+ degree heat with 33F / 36 R tire pressures. Those pressures sound pretty low to me - I don't have an FZ6 manual but both my vfr and 600rr manuals call for 36/42 so I'd assume the Yamaha would be similar. So it sounds to me like they were underinflated given the conditions. Pretty scary results, nonetheless, if the story is true.

Guest WildsViFfeR

Not that I'm a tire expert, but even if the tires were run with low pressure in ridiculous conditions with a huge load, they shouldn't fail like that should they? The tread shouldn't be able to be pulled apart by your fingers on the tire.

As for his credibility, I read through the entire thread, and he said he bought another tire and paid out of his own pocket for that one. He just left the old tire at the dealership for the Michelin guys to evaluate, but they didn't bother after two weeks to contact the dealer to pick up the tire, so he went back and picked it up himself after his front tire shredded and caused the accident. Sounds like he was figuring it was a freak thing on the rear tire, but when the front went out awhile later he figured something more was going on. Tread seperation can happen, ask Firestone.

I think I believe this guy is legit in his issues, but I do wonder what the heck also, because the whole thing sounds very unlikely.

I gonna have to agree with a few of the other skeptics, there is absolutely no way those tires have 10000 miles on them. Something smells fishy in Denmark. We've been had. 36lb in the rear, must have hanlded like crap. I mean come on, a NASA calibrated pressure checker and he runs them a 36...WTF! :laughing6-hehe:

Brian

• Member Contributer

33lbs in the front isn't much higher then we run in DOT race tires. 29-31 depending. I had a Michelin Pilot Race do that to me at Jennings because of an increase in track temp and me not compensating with air pressure in the rear. Took a HUGE section out of it. I don't blame that on the tire tho.

I'd be curious if the OP had to add air before the given ride(s). I know he said they were "spot" on, but still leaves open the possibility for a leak...goes back to debris or valve stems, etc. We have a tire at work (PR2) that is de-laminated on the inside, but that is from a blowout and subsequent 5 mile ride home. Damage looks almost identical tho. Definitely keeping an eye on this considering i sell quite a few motorcycle tires... would hate to have another Power 2ct fiasco.

Archived