Rain Gear???

hoss8640

I'm sure that this has been posted already but I can't seem to find it right now. What does aybody recommend for rain gear? I do not have any at the current time and am just wondering what some thoughts are. One-piece, two-piece, nylon, pvc? These are the things I am wondering.

• Member Contributer

I wear Frogg Toggs over my Pants and Jacket. Pretty breathable in the Summer and work great in colder weather.

I'm sure that this has been posted already but I can't seem to find it right now. What does aybody recommend for rain gear? I do not have any at the current time and am just wondering what some thoughts are. One-piece, two-piece, nylon, pvc? These are the things I am wondering.

Aerostich Roadcrafter

• Member Contributer

I had proper rain gear for the first time ever at TMAC and you guessed it -no rain!

Last 3 years it's rained at least once each year, lol..

Go to Cyclegear, they have lots of options!

I had proper rain gear for the first time ever at TMAC and you guessed it -no rain!

Last 3 years it's rained at least once each year, lol..

Go to Cyclegear, they have lots of options!

Thanks for getting the rain gear Nicole. That's why it didn't rain this year. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I use Frogg Togg: Road Toad. Daily commute 135 miles. They hold up very well and when it starts to warm up, you will appreciate the breathable fabric. I have ridden in PVC rain suit before and been drenched in sweat on a 55 degree day. Perfect protection from the rain in my perforated leathers underneath.

Got mine from Cycle Gear in town..Their web site

The Frogg Toggs look like the way to go. The way that gas prices are going I really want to start hitting the bike as an everday rider no matter the weather conditions.

• 1 month later...

Get yourself Alpinestars El-Nino one piece suit. I have one and by far the best rain gear i have ever had. Nothing gets through. Went touring in Wales for a week. If your are british you will understand the next section. It rained almost every day and at the end of each ride i was as dry as a bone and the suit took minutes to dry. High Viz piping, heat shielding on the inside legs. lined collar for comfort and excellent cuffs.

Other lads on tour had Gore-Tex and even that failed eventually. It rains a lot in Wales and heavy. I am surprised the Welsh aren't amphibious.

• Member Contributer

I'm with stoopid. Frogg Toggs changed my life. Their zero hassle and seventy bucks. In June I rode through four days of driving rain and didn't even get damp. Anytime I'm the least concerned I throw them in or on top of the tank bag and just keep rolling. They're small, light and easy on easy off. Even my Aerostitch wearing friends now have a set for back up when it's really pouring or when they don't wear the stitch.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

The best rain suit out there is the Roadgear Monsoon Xtreme.

Beyond that Frogg Toggs are good if you want something cheap (as in price) but they won't keep you dry in an extended rain...my son has one that I bought for him (road toad) and he got wet from the top of the shoulders to the mid stomach in a hour long continuous, modetate intensity rain while coming home to Florida, from North Carolina, last week after our week long ride. The pants worked great though...not a drop got in. He was on a Ninja 650R.

My Aerostitch Darien and Sidi-On Road's kept me 100% dry though.

• Member Contributer

I found a two-piece Tourmaster Elite II for about $60. Used it in the torrential downpour to the Catskills last year and on a couple similar rides since - stayed dry; nice hi-viz piping and fit pretty well. For the price, I am very happy.

Dont get heavy PVCm get breatable rain gear, also with a two piece you can wear just the pants or the jacket, for mild cold or windy conditions.

That may seem strange, but just holding baody heat in the legs, can allow you to free up, the top half, for good movement.

I wear the sterns breathable water proof pants from walmart or academy, they work well also a good draw string. Many official mc rain pants Ive seen , kinda suck.

I dig the Frogg Togg stuff, Cycle Gear or Gander Mountain have several styles you can try on then surf for a better price. I like the 2 piece option. More comfortable, and you can just wear the jacket if you want.

• Member Contributer

Does cycle gear still carry the frog toggs? Or did they just replace everything but helmets and gloves with their store brand?

You know I don't mind having the choice of a store brand but when you stop carrying good brands and fill up the shop with your own brand, don't be surprised if I start shopping elseware.

Autozone does this to, got rid of all brands of brake fluid and my only option was to buy a store brand or leave. Guess what I did.

• Member Contributer

Not to get off topic, but yeah, have you seen the crap CycleGear is selling under the store brand name "Bilt"...geeze it sucks.

Archived