• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some updates.

post-22737-0-01400300-1348249919.jpg

post-22737-0-99743500-1348249921.jpg

post-22737-0-98839800-1348249923.jpg

Taking a guess at fork and Swingarm angles, they're close enough to get right. I'm targeting about 24deg for forks and 12deg for swigarm at static sag.

Wheels are off a Dorsoduro, standard linkages and lower mount, standard shock with a 6mm spacer.

I've tried some RSV1000 discs on the Dorso rims, they need spacing out to be centred in the radial calipers (in CBR1000RR5 forks). They need about 1-2mm, I'm thinking of maybe laser-cutting spacers out of thin sheet and bonding them to the hub, then bolting through them.

I'm not too keen on doing this but have no alternative at the moment. Anyone ever spaced out discs? Wonder what the shear forces are through the disc and bolts at the hub mounting flange at 1.2G loading? Hmmm...

• Member Contributer

Some updates.

post-22737-0-01400300-1348249919.jpg

post-22737-0-99743500-1348249921.jpg

post-22737-0-98839800-1348249923.jpg

Taking a guess at fork and Swingarm angles, they're close enough to get right. I'm targeting about 24deg for forks and 12deg for swigarm at static sag.

Wheels are off a Dorsoduro, standard linkages and lower mount, standard shock with a 6mm spacer.

I've tried some RSV1000 discs on the Dorso rims, they need spacing out to be centred in the radial calipers (in CBR1000RR5 forks). They need about 1-2mm, I'm thinking of maybe laser-cutting spacers out of thin sheet and bonding them to the hub, then bolting through them.

I'm not too keen on doing this but have no alternative at the moment. Anyone ever spaced out discs? Wonder what the shear forces are through the disc and bolts at the hub mounting flange at 1.2G loading? Hmmm...

This thing looks amazing! Makes me want to start another 800 project! The Fireblade swingarm looks perfect, what's the length difference vs. the stock swingarm?

This thing looks amazing! Makes me want to start another 800 project! The Fireblade swingarm looks perfect, what's the length difference vs. the stock swingarm?

Thanks!

If I recall the blade swingarm was something like 10-15mm longer - nothing you couldn't compensate.

But it wasn't what I'd call easy... Check out my shiny new swingarm bushes -

post-22737-0-31378900-1348684962.jpg

It was a bit risky as I had to drop the wall thickness by half to fit the 25mm swingarm axle. I specced a high-alloy heat treated steel, with over 700MPa tensile stregnth I figured it should be up to the job. It was an absolute bastard to machine, I had a mate do it for me (who incidentally hasn't talked to me since, go figure?!?!). Beautiful job though.

Here they are sitting in the Engine-

post-22737-0-37292500-1348684960.jpg

Nope, I can't because of the 25mm swingarm axle. So I have a CBR954 bracket ,but the engine mounts are totally wrong. Both components (954 and VFR) are hollow cast, making combining the two more difficult than it could be. I'm currently having a think about what my best options are. I'd like to use the CBR bracket for the rearset mounts (should give more options, but I'll probably end up getting some made anyway), and also the bracket seems to be designed to stiffen up the rear in torsion - thus putting the swingarm in 4-point bending (did I count that right?) and feeding the loads into the back of the crank cases. Linkages pick up in exactly the same spot so at least that's sorted.

At the moment I think the easiest solution may be making up some VFR rear engine mounts on a separate flat plate then cutting and welding that to the CBR bottom bracket. But I'm all open to ideas from you fellow Vifferites!!!

• Member Contributer

What is the OD of the 954 swing arm pivot "nuts"? Those are the only pieces that need to fit into the VTEC bracket IIRC.

I would try to use the VTEC lower bracket, then either bore out the holes the pivot nuts slide through, or cut that portion off and weld a new ring on in the correct ID for the 954 nuts.

The CBR's are about 32mm. Same as the fat end of a 25mm front axle. Don't know what 6th Gen is, but I'm fairly sure they're smaller. I thought about that too, but there's not alot of meat around the swingarm pivot holes, so not ideal, particularly with the pinch bolt arrangement. Plus, could be challenging lining up the bore holes? I'm not sure, sadly not an expert machinist. One attraction with welding is that I can fit and tac on the bike, and assure alignment with everything bolted up.

Updates:

Went back to Suzuki forks - the offset needed to make the CBR forks work with the Aprilia discs was too much. The Suzuki triples are narrower and bring the (radial) calipers almost perfectly in-line with the Aprilia wheel and discs. Plus the black DLC-coated inners look mega!

post-22737-0-93538300-1349088572.jpg

Rear disc (Aprilia) is on the wheel, and is almost right. The disc and bolts foul the standard 954 caliper mount, but not by much. I'll have 2mm skimmed off the outside of the mount and probabl make a 2mm wider rear wheel spacer, effectively moving the disc into the centre of the caliper mount bracket. It'll be close, but will work. Need to make another 2mm spacer for the other side to get the chain carrier to clear the swingarm, but no major drama.

post-22737-0-84499600-1349088569.jpg

They're baby-steps, but I'm happy, I'll have a full solution for wheels and brakes very soon. Then if I have the swingarm bracket sorted it'll be time to move onto some more interesting things like exhaust!

• Member Contributer

Looks great!

I sold my 5th gen engine/vtec frame a while back, otherwise I'd have measurements for you. IIRC they were around 28-30mm, but I'm sure someone on here can give you the exact dimensions.

A machinist with a 5 axis CNC would be able to make short work of those holes, and they'd be perfectly centered. I watched my friends father in-law do something similar to the bore of his top triple ignition switch hole with his CNC machine.

• 10 months later...

Did anyone get the weight and dimensions of the 6th and/or 5th gen SSSA with or without the hub/axle assy???

I can tell you that the 4th gen swingarm weighs 26.6 lbs. Should expect a conventional swingarm to weigh around half that.

Is that including the hub/axle assy??

• Member Contributer

I have the 5th gen & CBR954 swingarm weights at home, but from memory IIRC the 954 arm is around 11Kg & the VFR800 5th gen around 16Kg, both incude all parts except the wheel & shock/linkages, i.e. brake disc, hub etc, but then the VFR800 has a HUGE rear disc.

My VFR400 axle/brake conversion reduced 4Kg of weight from the end of the swingarm & the BST Carbon wheel removed another 3Kg, so my rear swingarm/wheel weight is now about the same or better than a 954's :)

• Member Contributer

Did anyone get the weight and dimensions of the 6th and/or 5th gen SSSA with or without the hub/axle assy???

I can tell you that the 4th gen swingarm weighs 26.6 lbs. Should expect a conventional swingarm to weigh around half that.

Is that including the hub/axle assy??

I don't remember. The weights might be in that 848 rear conversion thread I started ways ago. I have the empty swingarm and everything else in parts, so it won't be that big of a deal to weigh it again. I actually did do more work on it with machining parts, but only managed to get the first operation done on a bunch of parts. I might just have another shop finish them who has lathes with collets instead of jaw chucks.

• Member Contributer

Here's the thread. Unfortunately, work blocks photobucket, and blocks the even numbered pages in the thread. Don't ask, it's a wierd firewall they have.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/72013-triumph-eccentric-swap-pic-heavy-not-complete/

Are you running an aprilia front wheel? I have a Shiver front with galfer wavys and the floating rotor buttons. Not sure what I'm doing with it, but I guess I'll look back through this thread to see what you did.

Alright I got off my anus and went and fished the 6th gen SSSA I had stored away where it would be in the last place I looked and had it weighed at the post office.. 12.2kg WITH the hub, axle and galfer wave rotor..

Got the rotor off and will weigh it to get the exact figure.. when the gf has finished her siesta.. DO NOT interrupt the siesta, or pay with your life.

so now y'all know y'all

someone write that down somewhere for posterity's sake

And on Monday it's off to Germany thanks to Saint Ebay.. wonder what the fellow has in mind for it.

Well If Yoshi is right then the 4th gen SSSA only weighs 12kg which is very little and thus may not include the hub maybe??

If the 6th gen SSSA weighs 12 with the hub then Yoshi's 4th gen data surely does as well.

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

All his hard work inspired me to buy an RC51 for my track bike. I am in awe of people with the means and capacity to make these fantasy v4's happen.

• Member Contributer

is this project still alive

???????????????

Haven't seen him post in a while, but when I purchased his 4th gen project he had just found a trackable VFR400. The 800 project was mostly gone at that point.

• Member Contributer

I am not a fast enough track day rider to really care about how light the bike is. Especially when I really need to work on lightening up the rider by about 50 lbs. I think it's a better investment to set a bikes suspension up optimally. Every one of these how light can we make a VFR projects seems to reach the point of diminishing return on investment quicker as the bike ages. Not knocking the idea though.

Archived