VFR800 track project

kostritzer

So if anyone's interested in getting ANY modern GSXR forks into a VFR frame, I have all the bearing info you'll need to do it. Now I'm just wondering if anyone's actually interested in this... :)

Of course we're interested! First things first... let's have that bearing number, and your source. Second, how about starting a new thread dedicated to your bike?

For Sure!

I've got a set of K7 750 forks w/wheel, calipers and rotors all ready to go. I too figured that the lower tree bearing was the same as the Honda, but never tried to sorce a upper bearing yet.

So please post up!

BR

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if anyone's interested in getting ANY modern GSXR forks into a VFR frame, I have all the bearing info you'll need to do it. Now I'm just wondering if anyone's actually interested in this... :)

Of course we're interested! First things first... let's have that bearing number, and your source. Second, how about starting a new thread dedicated to your bike?

For Sure!

I've got a set of K7 750 forks w/wheel, calipers and rotors all ready to go. I too figured that the lower tree bearing was the same as the Honda, but never tried to sorce a upper bearing yet.

So please post up!

BR

Your conversion was my first thought when he brought it up. :wink:

Hehe, cheers guys, glad to hear it! :rolleyes:

Hmmm, new thread? - Not sure there's enough here, progress has been way slower than I'd be proud of...

OK so the bearing you'll be after is an NSK HR32906J - it is a taper roller bearing of dimensions: ID: 30mm OD: 46mm and thickness: 12mm.

I think (based on the infallible Google) that SKF may make one as well, but I could never confirm this. I also tried searching based on a made-up version of Koyo's part numbers (should be something like KOYO SAC3047), I found a vague mention on a Russian internet site, there may be a Honda that uses a ball bearing version with these dimensions, but I could not get in touch with them and there was no sale listing, or proper part number available on the site (it just mentioned it as part of some kit). And that's as far as I got...

The deal with this bearing is it's not a standard size - meaning not only that nobody in the UK stocks it; the biggest and best bearing suppliers told me they could NOT get them even on request.

Anyway, so I tried tracking the original NSK product first and only found one place in Europe that had the proper NSK items in stock (a bearing shop in Poland - I still have their contact, if anyone wants it ask and I'll go dig it up). By the time they could get some to me it would have been over £60 - or around $100USD each. Since I couldn't part with that kinda cash for such a simple product (purely on principle) I decided to try a Chinese supplier.

Here's the group I used, they communicated well, and were very helpful and reliable. They sent me two bearings by DHL for about £30 including shipping (most of that went to DHL!). I think that's not too bad. They are also negotiable on price and give discounts for multiple units. If you send them by China Air Mail they work out super cheap, but bit of a guess wether you'll ever get them or not!

Sales department

http://www.cysbearing.com

http://cysbearing2009.en.made-in-china.com/

Chaoyang Shining Trading Co.,Ltd

Tel:+86-15524989084

Fax:+86-04213391068

MSN:chinesesunnyxv@yahoo.cn

Email:chinesesunnyxv@yahoo.cn

But a few warnings -

1. This is my first Chinese engineered purchase - so understandably I don't have enormous faith in the quality. They seem perfect but it's all down to the material quality, and sadly I can't judge that just by looking at (or sniffing) them. Time will tell - which will be a while the way this build's going. I'll report back when I have some tracktime.

2. The bearings have one flaw (in design), the angle between the rollers and steering axis is about 5-10 degrees steeper than for normal rollers. This means they will be able to carry less axial load (in the path of the steering axis) than a conventional tapered roller bearing designed for steering heads. This is down to the bearing design itself, partly I guess to get big enough roller diameters packaged in the little room between inner and outer races - so would be exactly the same on the NSK units.

Now my best engineering guess says that I can get away with it, because it is the upper bearing and carries close enough to bugger-all static load, just the tightening torque. The rest - for any dynamic load cases (i.e. when the bike's actually braking or cornering) almost all the load is passed radially - for which they should be awesome. But - this is also just my opinion, and subject to being blatantly wrong!

Anyway, keen for someone else to do it too - so get into it!

For Sure! I've got a set of K7 750 forks w/wheel, calipers and rotors all ready to go. I too figured that the lower tree bearing was the same as the Honda, but never tried to sorce a upper bearing yet. So please post up! BR

Hey BR - another possibly easier option is to get a CBR stem and press it into the GSXR lower triple clamp.

Advantages:

The lower diameters are the same so stem would go in no probs,

That would allow use of original Honda bearings,

The stem length would be correct (I think?)

Disads:

Extra cost (or having required tooling) for pressing the stems,

Different dimensions between the GSXR upper triple clamp and Honda stem? Not sure, but I've actually got both in the garage, I'll measure up...

I thought my way'd be a bit more unusual and therefore fun!

What's the GSXR750 offset? If it's 30mm, with a Honda stem you could also simply put on a Fireblade or SP2 top triple clamp. I couldn't beacause mine runs a 28mm offset. But the fork tubes are the same dimension up top - both 50's.

For Sure! I've got a set of K7 750 forks w/wheel, calipers and rotors all ready to go. I too figured that the lower tree bearing was the same as the Honda, but never tried to sorce a upper bearing yet. So please post up! BR

Hey BR - another possibly easier option is to get a CBR stem and press it into the GSXR lower triple clamp.

Advantages:

Disads:

Different dimensions between the GSXR upper triple clamp and Honda stem? Not sure, but I've actually got both in the garage, I'll measure up...

What's the GSXR750 offset? If it's 30mm, with a Honda stem you could also simply put on a Fireblade or SP2 top triple clamp. I couldn't beacause mine runs a 28mm offset. But the fork tubes are the same dimension up top - both 50's.

Thanks for all the leg work, I'll try to pick my project again this year.

I'll need to check specs for any answers on my part. :rolleyes:

Finally, here are some long overdue pics.

The front wheel is the original six-spoker, It's only been fitted for show!

I can't use this wheel as the discs sit about 5mm too far apart - at the moment they clear the forks but rub on the caliper housings. I have a spare CBR600 wheel I will also test-fit (I just need some discs for them first), I think that should place the discs in about the right location. But I need a set of RR discs first (ebay be kind to me!)

I've had some major engine issues - you can see it a bit in the background but the engine is colossally corroded... I've never had a bike so badly corroded before - looks like the previous owner used it all through winter/s (probably every one of them since 1998 by the look of things). EVERY single external engine part is scrap-metal. ALL exhaust studs are seized or lost, the starter motor terminal sheared off after I looked at it disapprovingly, the cooling system was an abomination, and so far about 85% of every bolt I've tried undoing have been seized. My favourites are steel-in-aluminium corrosion seizures; I swear it makes better joints than welding! It's so bad now it just makes me sick to even look at it... I've given up, and found a cheap CLEAN!!! 6th Gen engine on ebay and will strap it in. Once I plasma-cut the seized engine bolts out! Then I have a perfect running engine worth of parts to hack at if I break anything.

This puts me in a bit of a dilemma - I have a 6th Gen engine but don't want to lose my gear-drive! So I will see if it's possible to retrofit the gear drive into the 6th Gen. Has Anybody ever thought of this before? Seems a bit backwards, I know, but I was never a fan of chains, or the valve deactivation anyway...

That's all for tonight! More pics soon...

post-22737-0-63986500-1327361028.jpg

post-22737-0-23021400-1327361047.jpg

• Member Contributer

This puts me in a bit of a dilemma - I have a 6th Gen engine but don't want to lose my gear-drive! So I will see if it's possible to retrofit the gear drive into the 6th Gen. Has Anybody ever thought of this before? Seems a bit backwards, I know, but I was never a fan of chains, or the valve deactivation anyway...

5th gen gears in 6th gen? Not happening.......(well I suppose if you catch the kaldek virus anything is possible) And if you want to get the 6th engine to run, that's a whole nother bag of tricks with the wire harness and ECU.

Um -a request -- start a btec's bike build thread..

• Member Contributer

+1

And regarding my original project, if anyone in southern California would like a free high mileage 5th gen engine with a 6th gen frame attached to it let me know! Need to make some room in my tiny garage!

• Member Contributer

Dammit kostritzer, now you're just teasing!

OK, may re-consider the new post... :)

Thought you'd say that! Keep your eyes peeled, a fifth gen engine will turn up eventually. There's always a few of them for sale on the US ebay site if you're willing to pay the shipping. This one has 116K on it, so I don't think you'd want it as your permanent engine anyway!

• Member Contributer

Should just be about run in :-)

Apparently it still ran great at that mileage. Previous owner said it smoked a little on decel, so he yanked it and stuck a low mileage one in it. The bike had 180K on the chassis when I bought the engine from him.

• Member Contributer

There's a 5th gen engine listed on ebay (physical location local to me) with 30k complete with tranny for $300. Of course, it would cost another $300 to get it shipped out to you, being large and heavy and all.

• 6 months later...

I've got a similiar inspiration as you guys here, in taking a fat VFR and tricking it out and slimming it down. My main point of difficulty is putting on a 08-11 CBR1000R tailsection/subframe as this is the style I like best. Given that, which generation or year do you think would be the easiest to do this one?

Advantages:

Disads:

I think there 30mm offset. Not done any work on them yet! :rolleyes:

I think there 30mm offset. Not done any work on them yet! :rolleyes:

Kevin, send me your gixxer lower tree and a spare VFR lower, I can swap the stems for you.

Thanks Seb!

I'm still not sure how that helps or what I would need to make it work?

Installing the Honda stem allows the use of Honda bearings, but what upper triple? It would have to match offset(30mm?) and fork centers(207mm?) of the GSXR lower and if it's the 207 I think it is no Honda uses that spec.

BR

Refresh my memory - is the GSXR stem a larger diameter up top than the VFR stem?

If so, we can press the VFR (or any modern Honda steering stem) into the GSXR lower, then make a bushing to fill the gap at the upper triple stem hole.

If the GSXR stem is smaller, you simply drill out the hole in that upper to fit the Honda stem.

Presuming the lower stem diameter is the same, they should be fairly easy to swap by pressing out/in. The length would be set while pressing so the upper threads are in the correct location, then the Honda bearings can be used and the only outliers are: 1. the size of the top of the gixxer stem & 2. the depth of press of the Honda stem in the gixxer lower.

If you send one of each lower (complete) I can figure out where to set the Honda stem. If you send just a stem, I'll have to do some figuring as I don't think I have a complete Honda lower right now with the correct length stem installed.

Refresh my memory - is the GSXR stem a larger diameter up top than the VFR stem?

Yes the GSXR upper is larger a 30-55-17 vs the Honda's 26-47-15.

What about the fork tube centers of 207mm?

Or I just need a 30-47-15/17 upper bearing.

You said you have the whole front end, so if we put the VFR stem in the GSXR lower triple at the correct height, you can then use Honda bearings along with a custom spacer and everything else from the GSXR. Wheel, fender, brakes, everything. That's what you wanted, right?

• 1 month later...

Gents,

I've been away for a while... I owe you some pics, will try upload in a few days :)

If it's not too late, DON'T bother with the GSXR/CBR stem swap, I tried exactly this a few weeks ago. Sadly the GSXR stem is 1mm!!!! larger than the CBR stem. How infuriating! I learnt this by pressing out the stems out of the GSXR1000 K8 and 2006 CBR1000 lower triple clamps and accepting a dismal defeat.

The Honda's (all the ones I've seen) run the 30mm diameter through the bearing inner race down into the triple clamp and use a flange to locate the stem at the correct height in the lower triple clamp.

Suzuki use a slight overbore at 31mm, and a groove and spring-clip at the base of the stem to achieve the same. Sorry, I never thought to take photos. This way they save having to do the finer surface machining required at the bearing race from extending into the triple clamp seating surface. Unfortunately really annoying for us though.

It's especially misleading, because it's hard to get the verniers up to the base of the Suzuki stem, and it looks near-enough 30mm that you assume it'll have the same diameters.

I always knew Suzukis were cheaper on build-quality than Hondas...

Quick update, bike is on it's wheels, the wheels have changed (surprise), rear swingarm is swinging in it's final resting place :)

main challenges now:

Sorting out the rear shock, linkages and lower link mounting

Sorting out front disc/caliper spacing

Subframe

Exhaust (planned in head, and numbers crunched, yet to crack out the welder!)

Archived