6th gen throttlebody assembly on '01 5th gen engine

Ranger77

Question

• Member Contributer

No, this isn't a dumb question. I know the connectors are the same as the 5th gen's. I know I'd need to use a 6th gen airbox since the top of the throttle bodies are different. The main part of this question is are the throttle bodies angled the same as 5th gen's and will align with the insulators?

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

If I remember correctly members were cleaning theirs recently and found a couple of differences between the 5th/6th gen rails/injectors. I believe the rails will not interchange as the ports are not aligned the same. Also, the injectors on the 6th gens are a multiple holed spray pattern where the 5th gens have a single hole. Most believe the single hole provides better performance.

• Member Contributer

If I remember correctly members were cleaning theirs recently and found a couple of differences between the 5th/6th gen rails/injectors. I believe the rails will not interchange as the ports are not aligned the same. Also, the injectors on the 6th gens are a multiple holed spray pattern where the 5th gens have a single hole. Most believe the single hole provides better performance.

Talking about he whole assembly. Not just the rails/injectors.

• Member Contributer

Why would one want to do this?

Just curious.

Why not? People do front end swaps, rear shocks, super chargers, etc etc. Just something else to dind out if it works. Eventually 5th gen parts are gonna disappear.

• Member Contributer

Why not? People do front end swaps, rear shocks, super chargers, etc etc. Just something else to dind out if it works. Eventually 5th gen parts are gonna disappear.

True, but I don't think throttle bodies are going to be the concern. Don't think I've ever had a problem with one any bike or car.

• Member Contributer

I can tell a lot of people on here arent adventerous mechinacally.

LOL

Spend some time in the 4x4 communiy and youll be amazed by what can work wih what.

:offtopic: Ha!

I once had a 86 Toyota 4x4 that I ripped the independent front end off of. I then added a Dana 60 and Dana 44, Stroked small block 383 mated to a factory 5-speed with dual tranfercases (like a twin stick but now triple) mated together to double down the ratio again. Added a extra a/c compressor as a air pump to a cylinder in the aft. Added a second alt that supplied power to a dedicated welder just in case we needed to 'stick' something back together trailside. Built an internal roll cage and welded that to the frame rails. And the list goes on....

Ask Toro1 if he thiks outside the box.

Go for it brother. You understand your own limitations and risk. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Why would one want to do this?

Just curious.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking your mechanical adventure. I love reading about folks trying something new. :fing02:

Just trying to understand if you have a real benefit in mind or just have some spare time/parts laying around.

And to answer your question from my pragmatic standpoint, front end swaps and rear shocks are aimed at improving handling. Superchargers are aimed at... Well, you know. :wheel: :woohoo:

• Member Contributer

I can tell a lot of people on here arent adventerous mechinacally.

LOL

Spend some time in the 4x4 communiy and youll be amazed by what can work wih what.

Well then, what are you waiting for? Go do it instead of waiting for someone to beat you to it.

• Member Contributer

The bore spacing is identical. Other than doing it for the sake of doing it, I don't see any benefit performance wise. Keep in mind that the newer injectors (with fine multi-hole diffuser plates) get gummed up a lot quicker than the 5th-gen's single pindtle design (just ask Kaldek). If you have to yank your current TB for some reason, have a complete 6th-gen unit with airbox assembly laying around, and have nothing better to do, then sure, give it a shot. The tuning may be slightly off during part-throttle situations (due to the finer atomization of the newer injectors), so be prepared to fiddle with your fuel map a smidge if you want it perfect.

• Member Contributer

The bore spacing is identical. Other than doing it for the sake of doing it, I don't see any benefit performance wise. Keep in mind that the newer injectors (with fine multi-hole diffuser plates) get gummed up a lot quicker than the 5th-gen's single pindtle design (just ask Kaldek). If you have to yank your current TB for some reason, have a complete 6th-gen unit with airbox assembly laying around, and have nothing better to do, then sure, give it a shot. The tuning may be slightly off during part-throttle situations (due to the finer atomization of the newer injectors), so be prepared to fiddle with your fuel map a smidge if you want it perfect.

Nicely added. I love tech talk over beers. I half gone months without hearing someone say "atomization". Toro your input can only be measured in 'parts per million'. Now it it time for me to go excite the molocules of my lunchy rice thingy stuff. I am hungry.

Please continue :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Well i was hoping fot some to provide deminsions just so id know that the assembly would at least align up with the intake ports. Its just something to do. Injectors are no where cheap when new.

Also the 6th gen fuel pimp assembly should fit a 5th gen shouldnt it? Front the pics it looks exactly the same.

• Member Contributer

Well i was hoping fot some to provide deminsions just so id know that the assembly would at least align up with the intake ports. Its just something to do. Injectors are no where cheap when new.

Also the 6th gen fuel pimp assembly should fit a 5th gen shouldnt it? Front the pics it looks exactly the same.

It will drop right in -- Honda didn't change a thing dimensionally. The fuel pump assembly is identical as well, so no need to swap to a 6th-gen unit. Fuel pressure is the same, injector flowrate is the same...as long as the MAP sensor and TP sensor are the same, you'll be in business. The starter valve setup is different, but you should be able to make it work.

arent the 2006 up vfr's injectors capable of flowing much more than the earlier models?

that is a good benefit if youve got any forced induction or nitrous mods coming up...

• Member Contributer

arent the 2006 up vfr's injectors capable of flowing much more than the earlier models?

that is a good benefit if youve got any forced induction or nitrous mods coming up...

Actually they flow a bit less than the 2002 model for a given pulse width. But the maximum flow rate is fine - the supercharged 6th-gen protoype uses stock injectors and is putting out 175HP at the rear wheel!

Won me some 6th gen stuff. I'll post up when I get them.

kewl beans. when properly tuned you might not get any extra power out of it, but you should make some cleaner emissions... keep the greenies happy lol

• Member Contributer

Won me some 6th gen stuff. I'll post up when I get them.

kewl beans. when properly tuned you might not get any extra power out of it, but you should make some cleaner emissions... keep the greenies happy lol

I'm not shooting for power. I'm wanting crispness.

The fuel pump assembly is identical as well, so no need to swap to a 6th-gen unit.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the fuel pumps are slightly different as the tanks are different shape and capacity.

Just checked. :blush:

5th gen PUMP ASSY., FUEL

Mfg. Part Number: 16700-MBG-010

This item has been superceded to: 16700-MBG-030

SKU: 260010

6th gen PUMP ASSY., FUEL

Mfg. Part Number: 16700-MCW-D01

This item has been superceded to: 16700-MCW-D02

BR

• Member Contributer

The difference may be with the fuel filter. The newer filters have solid supply hose that extends further than the 98's. This makes the associated fuel filter lines shorter.

• Member Contributer

When it comes to modding 5th and 6th gen. VFR's, the list of mechanically adventurous people isn't short. Here's a partial list of some of the things I've seen:

1) Installing a big bore kit (increasing displacement from 781 to about 840 cc's)

2) Installing a nitrous kit (although this one in particular I read about ended up blowing the engine)

3) A supercharger kit (increasing rwhp about 75%)

4) Disabling VTEC (although the guy couldn't get the engine to run right; at least not right away)

5) Installing a 5th gen. engine into a 6th gen. VFR (it was a success)

Personally, if I was dead set on keeping my 6th gen. (and had money to burn), I'd do a big bore kit on a 5th gen. VFR engine with slightly lower compression pistons. I'd then put this engine into my 6th gen. VFR and then supercharge it. I'd probably end up with 185-190 rwhp.

Archived