6th gen throttlebody assembly on '01 5th gen engine

Ranger77

Question

• Member Contributer

No, this isn't a dumb question. I know the connectors are the same as the 5th gen's. I know I'd need to use a 6th gen airbox since the top of the throttle bodies are different. The main part of this question is are the throttle bodies angled the same as 5th gen's and will align with the insulators?

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget to scrutinize the wiring diagrams for both bikes and then double check your findings on the actual parts. You'd like to think that Honda kept it all the same... but you'd be sorry if you just assumed that.

Also going to have to figure out how to connect the manual "choke" cable to the 6th gen throttle bodies and get rid of the Wax Unit.

OR, there is a bypass line from the thermo housing back to water pump suction that could be rerouted to run through the Wax unit perhaps?

Then, you could ELIMINATE the manual "choke" lever and let the Wax Unit do it's thing?

• Member Contributer
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the fuel pumps are slightly different as the tanks are different shape and capacity.

Just checked. :blush:

True, true, but for all intents and purposes, they're the same. Same flow rate, pickup, bolt pattern, fuel line fittings...I was just trying to save Ranger some cash -- there'd be no issue running the 5th-gen fuel pump setup with the 6th-gen injectors.

Personally, if I was dead set on keeping my 6th gen. (and had money to burn), I'd do a big bore kit on a 5th gen. VFR engine with slightly lower compression pistons. I'd then put this engine into my 6th gen. VFR and then supercharge it. I'd probably end up with 185-190 rwhp.

No need for the big bore or 5th-gen engine, Steve. If you were willing to tear apart your engine, I'd install a thicker head gasket to drop compression to 10-10.5:1 or so, then crank up the boost. I bet you could crack 200-210whp pretty easily, with much greater torque, too, as you're spinning the blower faster and generating more boost down low. It would be a monster.

The 6th-gen, with it's chain driven cams, can accommodate a thicker head gasket, and it also has a beefier clutch setup. Plus, on boost, anyway, the 6th-gen with VTEC actually outperforms the 5th-gen in the power department across the board.

• Member Contributer

No need for the big bore or 5th-gen engine, Steve. If you were willing to tear apart your engine, I'd install a thicker head gasket to drop compression to 10-10.5:1 or so, then crank up the boost. I bet you could crack 200-210whp pretty easily, with much greater torque, too, as you're spinning the blower faster and generating more boost down low. It would be a monster.

The 6th-gen, with it's chain driven cams, can accommodate a thicker head gasket, and it also has a beefier clutch setup. Plus, on boost, anyway, the 6th-gen with VTEC actually outperforms the 5th-gen in the power department across the board.

Good lord man that is a lot of horse power and torque.

• Member Contributer
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the fuel pumps are slightly different as the tanks are different shape and capacity.

Just checked. :blush:

True, true, but for all intents and purposes, they're the same. Same flow rate, pickup, bolt pattern, fuel line fittings...I was just trying to save Ranger some cash -- there'd be no issue running the 5th-gen fuel pump setup with the 6th-gen injectors.

Personally, if I was dead set on keeping my 6th gen. (and had money to burn), I'd do a big bore kit on a 5th gen. VFR engine with slightly lower compression pistons. I'd then put this engine into my 6th gen. VFR and then supercharge it. I'd probably end up with 185-190 rwhp.

The idea of a thicker head gasket reminds me of something Lamborghini did many years ago. I read the company was going through financial difficulties and didn't have the resources to build an all-new engine. Consequently, they tried getting more power out of the existing engine by boring out the cylinders (for more displacement.) Once the cylinders had been bored out as much as possible, it still wasn't enough. They eventually put spacers in between the block and heads (to increase the stroke) and get additional displacement (i.e. power) that way.

Dan, are you still thinking about doing a belt conversion? You'd probably get a lot of buyers if you did one for the 6th gen. (there are far more out there than 5th gen.'s). Personally, I'd much rather deal with a (much cleaner and lower maintenance) belt.

• Member Contributer

If anyone can post up a pic of the wiring diagram of the throttlebodies on an 07 so i can double check to make sure the wires are in the same place, id appreciate it.

They are, promise. The connector should be identical, just on the opposite side of the bike.

There is also a wiring diagram for the 6th gen bikes in the "Files" section of this site.

Anyone with a PCIII or PC5 can attest to this, they both plug in the same spot.

Edit: Here you go:

• Member Contributer

I know they'll connect together. I'm talking about the wires in the plugs. Just making sure wires weren't switched within the plugs.

Looks like the honda diagrams don't have the pins numbered to the wire color. I highly doubt they've changed the pinout on the injectors and tps.

• Member Contributer

Yes, that is what I am saying. The pins are identical. I believe the wire colors are as well. I have a 6th gen Power Commander 5 for '09+ installed on a '98. The installation point for a PCIII or 5 is between the main harness and the throttle body sub harness (Injectors, etc...).

• Member Contributer

Made a different thread on the O2 sensors.

No update on the throttlebody swap. Work has been keeping me busy and I've been working on my CL70. Doing the best I can with the free time I get.

• Member Contributer

Haha. I didn't ever see your post.

Started the conversion this weekend and everything is going swell. Just need a simple video editing software so I can shorten some of the vids for upload. I like to upload them in a time line order.

I guess since I'm actually doing this this thread needs to be moved to the "Modifications" section and out of the "Modification Questions" section.

Archived