My VFR Fork Lights

BigGreenValley

Hello everyone, new guy here.

This week I decided to add some additional lights to the front end. The idea behind this was:

1-I do a lot of night riding.

2-More visibility.

3-I wanted lights that turn with the steering.

I bought a set of fog lights for $40.00, a relay, a toggle switch and a rubber boot. I fabricated the brackets out of 22 gauge sheet metal. Total cost about $56.00.

Here's the result.

IMG_6103.jpgIMG_6104.jpg

IMG_6106.jpgIMG_6107.jpg

I just finished the job and everything works fine. Haven't test ridden the bike yet to adjust the aim.

• Member Contributer

Nice job mate - should make you a bit more visible to cagers too!

Welcome to VFRD :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Welcome, nice set up. What brand of lights were these? I've seriously been considering doing this myself since I started a 20 mile commute a few months ago and with winter and the time change here I'll be commuting in the dark both ways.

Great mod! I did the same on my CBR600RR some years ago. Took a while to find a reasonably bright non-hid projector. Very useful lighting in corners! Welcome!

Looks pretty clean. Any chance of some night shots with them?

I haven't gone out at night yet, but they sure lit up garage pretty well. I'll post additional night pics soon.

Nice! welcome on the board. Where and how did you mount them?

It's a fairly simple "L" bracket cut and fabricated from 22 gauge sheet metal. The vertical section is at a 120 degree angle to fit with the angle of the fork. It's attached using the lower fender screw, in between the fork and the fender.

IMG_6109.jpg

Welcome, nice set up. What brand of lights were these? I've seriously been considering doing this myself since I started a 20 mile commute a few months ago and with winter and the time change here I'll be commuting in the dark both ways.

Blazer Ultra White #UW3675 purchased from AutoZone

I like them, but aren't you concerned about the projection bobbing with the action of the fork tubes they are mounted on?

I really don't expect that to be an issue as I believe the Motolights use the brake caliper to mount their lights. Essentially, I don't expect too much if any bobbing. Of course the true test will be my first night ride. I'll be sure to follow up with those results soon.

Nice job, but I wouldn't expect that bracket to remain in position very long. You would be better served by making new brackets, with the vertical flanges spanning both fender screws. Also, the fender screws are shoulder type screws, did you drill the holes in your brackets to the thread size, or the shoulder size? Drilling to the shoulder size will allow the bolt to bottom out on the fork(as oem intended) and due to the thickness of the sheetmetal, this will allow the plastic of the fender to apply pressure to the bracket and make it more stable.

Nice job, but I wouldn't expect that bracket to remain in position very long. You would be better served by making new brackets, with the vertical flanges spanning both fender screws. Also, the fender screws are shoulder type screws, did you drill the holes in your brackets to the thread size, or the shoulder size? Drilling to the shoulder size will allow the bolt to bottom out on the fork(as oem intended) and due to the thickness of the sheetmetal, this will allow the plastic of the fender to apply pressure to the bracket and make it more stable.

My original design did span both fender bolts. After mounting the first bracket I made I found it excessive. There is a lip inside the fender that the sheet metal butts up against which should keep it from turning. Yes, the plastic fender is applying pressure directly to the bracket.

Thanks for your insight.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to rain on your parade, but having mounted many sets of lights on motorcycles before, I'm just wondering which will break first: the sheet metal brackets or the lamp brackets? Maybe we can start a pool...

I had some "PHID" lamps on my FP at one time (mounted on mirror brackets on the fairing, not unsprung on the fork bottoms), and one of the lamp brackets (not my stainless steel mirror mounts, of course!) snapped on their very first European tour. :ohmy: Good thing I didn't use the 910s, I suppose...

Ciao,

Yes, the plastic fender is applying pressure directly to the bracket.

You may also crack the fender by the mounting bolt holes. No need to ask how I know. :dry:

I like the idea of more light anyway. Welcome aboard. :beer:

Well, I like the placement and the light output. But the 22 gauge steel I used is not strong enough to support the lights. So I'm back to the drawing board, in a sense, to find the right gauge of steel or aluminum to properly support the lights. Somewhere between 11 and 16 gauge I imagine.

• 2 months later...

Another word of caution: I have the same lights and they didn't last long up there. I think the shock every time I hit a bump got to the filaments. Mine were solid metal to metal mounts, no rubber to cushion them. They are some great lamps for the price though!

• 1 month later...

I did a similar mod to my CBR a few years ago. Look to be the same lights too. I found they worked great for spotting deer when riding home after night shifts. One trick I found that some may find useful is that the stock reflector brackets which mount in that same location work great to mount these lights to, for those who aren't as savvy with the sheetmetal work. Just remove the reflectors and mount these in their place to the brackets.

I know it's really hard to find a good location for auxilliary lights on the VFRs, but I do question mounting them on the lower fork legs as they will be subjected to a lot of road shock, which is not good for the bulb life in most halogen bulbed lights. plus, they do add a little bit of unsprung weight on the front end too, plus the wires supplying pwoer to them will continuously be flexed while on the road that might lead to wiring failure after a while, if you do not use the correct quality wire to handle such stresses.. Many had fashioned metal plates to go under their mirrror stalk bases which you can them mount you light on, but you can maybe also extend some sort of bracketry from the fairing opening to the sides of the front fairing to mount light on too. Lots of work and money to mount them differently, but I think that will still be better than mounting lights on the lower forks.

JMOs

Beck

95 VFR

Archived