Valve Stem replacement

Guest Goosechef

• Member Contributer

It's a good idea if you change tires once every year. I just bend the valve stem over and if cracks show I replace it.

You can always change to some sexy 90 degree alloy stems and never worry again!! KurveyGirl

Black%20Valve%20Stem%20-%20ST1300.jpg

These are the ones commonly known as "Ariete" valve stems, but which are actually manufactured by Bridgeport in Italy (hence the "B" on the side...) Ariete is the name of the distributor.

There are two other types of angled valve stems I have seen, the "ENKEI" curved chrome ones and the curved brass ones. The latter should NOT be used, as there have been reports of them bending and fatiguing as the wheels spin.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Two Cents:

I put on Enkei cromed stems, the last time I changed tires. They are very heavy, and will be placed in the "pay it forward" section next time I change tires. ( Pretty Soon! )

Replacing with Ariete.

Mac

• Member Contributer

After more than four decades and several hundred thousand miles, I've never had a valve stem on a bike go bad. I did replace the ones on the VFR with the chrome angled ones to make checking tire pressure easier and I thought the $8.95 was bit much so I absolutely refuse to pay $30 for a valve stem. Oops, misread the fact that they are $30 for a pair. Still seems too high. They do look cool though. Aren't the holes in the rims too large for the Ariete stems: 11.3 vs 8.3?

I would be very interested in any reports (factual ones) that the chrome valve stems have failed due to fatigue. This seems very far fetched considering the construction. JMO of course.

• Member Contributer

Aren't the holes in the rims too large for the Ariete stems: 11.3 vs 8.3?

They come in both sizes.

Thanks, I'm getting so blind I can't even read a web page. It shows that right on the site. Geeze.

Monk, the 5th gen's are 11.3 so I'm sure the 6th's are the same.

They come in both sizes.

Thanks, I'm getting so blind I can't even read a web page. It shows that right on the site. Geeze.

Thx for the sizing info......

My stems are over 2 year old (several sets of tires), so Im think of replacing on next tire change, I Have new Black jack rubber stems.

Someday I may go with kuly girl ones, but I think I have two sets or new rubber ones, so thats several years out.

• Member Contributer

Every time I have tires changed, I spend $5 or so on every new valve stem. The guy says he has to replace them. Are they milking me for a few extra bucks each time or is it really a good idea to change them every time?

Yes I am a cheap bastard.

I never used to pay attention to valve stems during tire replacement. Thinking back, all of my auto tire replacement include new valve stems. This is before TPMS systems. Now with TPMS, they replace some other components at the tire change. The last set of MC tires they installed 90 deg metal valve stems. The old ones were starting to show cracks. I have not seen a valve stem "fail" but I have had slow leaks several times at the bead and the valve stem. Not expensive, why not do it while you have the wheels and tires off.

• Member Contributer

One Sunday morning a few weeks back I found my front stem cracked at the base. Leaked when I put the gauge on it. Apparently the Honda dealer decided not to replace it when they mounted the PR2s I got from Derby cycles a few weeks earlier. Took it to Cycle Gear (dealer closed on Sunday of course) and they put a new one on and rebalanced the tire for free. Very cool. One more reason not to go to the dealer.

• Member Contributer

They come in both sizes.

General rule of thumb is the Japanese wheels are 11.3mm and Italian are 8.3mm.

• Member Contributer

There's a vendor on R1-forum.com selling the 83º stems for $25 shipped. Look in the parts classifieds there.

KurveyGirl donates a dollar to Road Racing World Action Fund. Just sayin...

There's a vendor on R1-forum.com selling the 83º stems for $25 shipped. Look in the parts classifieds there.

KurveyGirl donates a dollar to Road Racing World Action Fund. Just sayin...

... if you save $4 on the R1 forum, you can donate $2-3 & still be ahead... just sayin... :biggrin:

I've bought from KG a few times, good service. Just have to save a buck where I can lately!

• Member Contributer

Psssst...

BRIDGEPORT!

:beatdeadhorse:

Ciao,

What's your point?

I think trade marks are worth standing up for, dammit. Some poor first-year associate laboured over countless, arcane registration forms lodged throughout the world and some usurper comes along and allows their name to become confused with that of the actual innovator. It's scandalous! Do you think KurvyGirl is going to invest $1,000s in new technology to bring us--yes, it might be possible--a better right-angle valve stem any time soon? How about those jokers at Ariete? Do you think they've ever seen the inside of a machine shop? Nay, they are the very definition of UNDESERVING. I rest my case. :cool:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

you can't replace a valve stem without taking the tire off.

yes you can. all you have to do is brake the bead and leave the tyre on. the wheel doesnt even have to come off.

Confirmed!

(At least the tire on wheel bit, wheel was off the bike.

My original set of Bridgeport stems, bought in '03 or '04 had a rubber o ring on the outside, rubber washer-like o ring on the inside, a metal washer, then the nut.

Next set bought from KG a couple years ago had a rubber o ring/washer on the outside that also fit inside the hole, and the nut on the inside.

Yet another set from KG for my Marvic wheels required the 8.3mm size, This only uses a small o ring on the outside, then the nut inside.

I got a valve core tool from Snap On that is preset to torque the core on install. That tool broke both the cores on the set in the Marvics. :angry: Replaced those today. Black stems on black wheels. I'll never be able to check my tire pressure in low light! :laughing6-hehe:

• 3 weeks later...

While I believe the mandatory change is a bit extreme, a thorough inspection (from both sides of the rim) is ESSENTIAL. I find bikes running 10 year old valve stems and have owners bitch about paying $7 for a new stem to be installed during a tire change (parts & labor). But, they also bitch that we won't plug the tire they just stuck a sheet metal screw or 16d nail through, regardless of what might have happened to the underlying carcass. I'm all for saving a buck, but I like not going to the hospital too! Tire failure sucks!

Archived