2011 Kootenay Hootenanny 2 - PNW/Canada Meet in Nelson, BC

superfunkomatic

Long or short day ride?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have a long or short day ride at the meet (350 or 500+ kilometers)?

b880b802.jpg

Welcome!

This year's PNW VFRD meet is in Nelson, BC - The Kootenay Hootenanny 2

Meet Dates

August 19, 20, 21 - 2011 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

(Updated August 3, 2011 - Confirmed Guests)

kootenay_hootenanny_logo_final.gif

T-shirts are now ordered. If you'd like to send me payment you can do so by PayPal or by Interac transfer from your bank (most major banks will do that now - usually without a charge).

Costs

The total cost per person will work out to $42.00. That will cover the shirt, printing, prizes and the first round of beer when we meet on Friday night. :beer: The shirts are a bit more money, but, they are unique again for this meet and being a poly/cotton blended shirt it'll last you for years.

Please send payment as soon as you can so I don't have this order sitting on my credit card for too long. If you could send payment by July 15th I'd really appreciate it as I'll be away on my Alaska adventure ride.

PayPal Information

Send payments from paypal to - superfunkomatic@shaw.ca

Here's the link for Paypal - Send Money Online

Contact Me

If you need to contact me for other payment methods please drop me a line at superfunkomatic@shaw.ca

Hotels

The New Grand Hotel - Our Homebase

New Grand Hotel - Rates

A standard room, based on double occupancy, will be $97/night (plus taxes) for August 2011. We are offering a discount to you, as you are valued guests that we look forward to having.

***You may let your members know that they now may start booking for your event, but do ask that they let up know that they are with the Honda VFR Group at the time of booking so we may extend this special rate. As you may know, the BC Senior Games are taking place at the same time, so it is important that your members call as soon as possible for reservations, or if you have an idea of how many rooms you will be needing, we can block them out now for you.***

Rooms must be reserved/booked before November 30 to hold our block of rooms (15 rooms).

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Rhonda by calling the front desk at 1-888-722-2258.

Free parking in the back with a bike wash station for you neat freaks.

Pub downstairs where we'll gather on the first night

** Make sure to ask in your booking to be in a room away from the pub - less noisy**

We are booked as 'vfr discussion group'.

Alternate Hotel Suggestions

• The Hume Hotel - I can highly recommend the historic Hume hotel (we'll be going down there for beer and meals - Mike's Pub)
  • The Dancing Bear Inn - a small youth hostel/hotel - This place is excellent! You can split a private room for $50/night. Shared bathrooms.
  • Bed and Breakfast Information - there are quite a few really great B&Bs right around the Nelson area (but you'll have to ride in to town)

Meet Events/Times

Friday night - arrival and greetings at the pub in the hotel

Saturday - group breakfast and group rides - around the lake and Kaslo/New Denver (see routes to below)

Sunday - breakfast and head home

Riders

• superfunkomatic (funky organizer) + Very Significant Other (2 - L + 1 - M)
  • HispanicSlammer (XXL)
  • gerrys02800 (XL)
  • SquamishVFR (L)
  • DDR (XL)
  • V-Fore (2 - L)
  • Choco (L)
  • BCMCRider (L)
  • Thumper 8 (XL)
  • Auggius (1 - M)
  • Cageless-in-Seattle (XL)
  • Tyke (L)
  • CassandTim (L)
  • PolarBear (L)
  • Cogswell (XL)
  • YYCViffer (XL)
  • Fishster (L)
  • VFRWhisp (XL) + Guest
  • DigitallyHip (XXXL)
  • Sparrow75(L)
  • CanadianVfr (XXL)
  • Belfry (L)
  • ChasingNolan (XL)
  • Q-Dawg
  • Olive (maybe)
  • Dunn2007
  • VeeferCanuck (XL)

T-shirts/Take-home items/Awards

27439_3811-two-tone-short-sleeve-work-shirt_large.jpg

Sponsors

Main Jet Powersports (local motorcycle dealer)

Prizes

"Short Ride" Route - Around the Lake including Kaslo/New Denver Run (Fun, Fun, Fun!)

Still a full day ride (400 kilometres). It includes the Kaslo to New Denver run (which is long fast sweepers), the run from Creston to Crawford Bay Ferry (70+ kilometres of twisty roads), and a nice run over one of Canada's highest passes (very scenic).

Full Size

Possible Long Day Ride Canada/US

This is a good long day ride (589 kilometres) with a mix of sweepers, tight sideroads and some decent scenery.

Full Size

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I am already excited with a Nelson meet in 2011. I don't really care what the dates are just as long as it is decided as soon as possible so i can make sure not to book work those days.

+1.gif

After having missed the first one...Then being able to enjoy 2010 Kootenay Tour "The Best of BC"

I will not miss it again :beer:

Gary

• Member Contributer

I am not going to vote for either mid-week date yet (both would be fine), but mid-week worked well at Troutdale for me. I am sure mid-week may get a little lower attendance, but I liked the mid week timing of Troutdale.

Third week should be fine, same as the other events. Weather has been good that time of year. I think mid-week events might work better for having less traffic, but other than that the weekend date will work fine and help some avoid taking too much vacation.

• Member Contributer

Ainsworth is too small for the group that will attend the Hootenanny ~ assume you will stay in Nelson again, although you might also try Nakusp at the other end for a change of scenery. They have a hot springs there, too.

• Member Contributer

SF,

1st choice: August 5, 6, 7

2nd choice: August 13, 14, 15. My son and I are going camping from the 17th 22 of August.

If you need some help or anything, pm me.

G

• 2 weeks later...

So with the feedback I've received the meet will be August 19, 20, 21, 2011.

I know some like the midweek meets but this was the most popular vote (a weekend). So….

Also having ridden in Washington and Oregon and up to Nelson on the way home each year - it's basically a long-day ride from Northern Oregon to Nelson. Two days from southern Oregon. So I don't think people will need the whole week to get there. Also in my experience there isn't too much traffic at this time of year so I don't think that'll be an issue either.

I'll keep updating the first post with details as I confirm hotels, meals, etc.

We really had a good time in 2008. If you've never been to Nelson, BC it's really a little jewel of a town and some great roads directly outside of the town.

Hope to see y'all there.

P.S. If there are any dual-sport riders with extra time on their hands before the meet that would like to join me on a ride to Inuvik in the Northwest Territories you're welcome to come along and I'd appreciate the company.

• Member Contributer

This sounds like an excellent idea! I'll start the planning now. The New Grand was an excellent hotel and as far as I know they treated us very well. Off-street parking (quasi secure) reasonable rate and pretty darn central. One comment; the local dealer was a tad miffed we were in town and he didn't know about it. Maybe hooking him in up front might just add a free lunch, a farkle or two and go to the head of the line servicing if the need should arise. Couldn't hurt to send a heads up that direction.

Main Jet Motorsports

111 McDonald Drive

Nelson, British Columbia

V1L 6B9

P : 250-352-3191

http://www.mainjet.ca/

Aaron Seminoff

Sales Manager

• Member Contributer

The Grand gave Jasonsmith the major run around for the2010 event. Kicked us out in favour of the Triumph club. I know its one of the bigger places to stay, but I would find out when the triumph guys are going to be there. not that would hold any water as to who get to stay.

• Member Contributer

This sounds like an excellent idea! I'll start the planning now. The New Grand was an excellent hotel and as far as I know they treated us very well. Off-street parking (quasi secure) reasonable rate and pretty darn central. One comment; the local dealer was a tad miffed we were in town and he didn't know about it. Maybe hooking him in up front might just add a free lunch, a farkle or two and go to the head of the line servicing if the need should arise. Couldn't hurt to send a heads up that direction.

Main Jet Motorsports

111 McDonald Drive

Nelson, British Columbia

V1L 6B9

P : 250-352-3191

http://www.mainjet.ca/

Aaron Seminoff

Sales Manager

Cool! I'll do what I can to join, but won't know probably until July next summer.

Yes, warning the owner of Main Jet would be wise. When I organized the unofficial one last summer, the owner of Main Jet offered 15% off any parts if I remember correctly right off the bat. Just saying, maybe he can do the same and should anyone need a tire of a combination of stator-r/r-battery, it may be worth it.

As far as accommodations are concerned, I vote for the New Grand, but if it is full by the time I am ready to book, I will look for B&Bs and hostels. There are a number in the area within walking distance, which is one of the best reason to have it in Nelson. ........... Oh, and the Nelson Brewery, did I forget to mention the brewery?!? :cheerleader:

Thanks Mike for organizing this.

C

Sponsorship

I'll definitely contact the motorcycle dealership this time and invite him over for a beer or two. We'll see if he's interested in some level of sponsorship or can offer deals on merchandise.

About the New Grand

The home base will likely be the New Grand Hotel again.

We had 25-30 riders stay in the hotel last time and all had a good experience. The only negative one was the crappy one-man band. I'll talk to the owners about this.

For those that haven't been to Nelson, don't let this bad experience by some colour your views of Nelson, BC. It's a great spot to hang out, it's very welcoming and I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here. I ride out from Calgary two or three times a year or stop in Nelson on my way home from summer rides. It's really a jewel of the interior of BC.

Alternatives

There are other hotels and accomodations there, so my suggestion is that if you're are unhappy with them your more than welcome to stay at the Hume or other venues - don't let it be a reason to not come to the meet. Nelson is small enough that you can walk down the street for meals and to hang out with us. I really don't think this is an issue. I'll post alternatives soon. There are some excellent B&Bs, hostels and other hotels within a stone's throw of the New Grand.

More Details to follow…

Stay tuned.

• Member Contributer

I have no axe to grind with the Grand. Just a heads up so the double booking / one group leaving issue. I had no problem with the way I was treated, they told me before I could even book a room. It sucked to find someplace else in a rush. Ainsworth was so-so.

It would take more than a bad dealing with a hotel to stop me from showing up to this event. I met some great people, and enjoyed my ride in the USA with my brother in law.

My plan is to go the USA, San Fransisco ( Alcatraz ) and hope to meet up with some of the USA riders making their way to Canada.

Count me in.

Awesome. It'll be great to have you join us.

I have no axe to grind with the Grand. Just a heads up so the double booking / one group leaving issue. I had no problem with the way I was treated, they told me before I could even book a room. It sucked to find someplace else in a rush. Ainsworth was so-so.

It would take more than a bad dealing with a hotel to stop me from showing up to this event. I met some great people, and enjoyed my ride in the USA with my brother in law.

My plan is to go the USA, San Fransisco ( Alcatraz ) and hope to meet up with some of the USA riders making their way to Canada.

Count me in.

• Member Contributer

Count me in.

Yes, he met me at the last one, so you can't blame him if he wants to go back... :laughing6-hehe:

Looking forward to share a beer in Nelson with you two fellers. Until then, I may get one or two more rides before I store the o'l viffer this week as the weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow and the next day. Happy riding!

C

• Member Contributer

Yes, he met me at the last one, so you can't blame him if he wants to go back... :laughing6-hehe:

Looking forward to share a beer in Nelson with you two fellers. Until then, I may get one or two more rides before I store the o'l viffer this week as the weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow and the next day. Happy riding!

C

I have marked it in my schedule - I will book with the New Grand again...never had a issue there, except for the Amazing McCrory:

Nelson2008024-1-1.jpg

Otherwise, the RCMP have been dealing with lots of complaints about 'speeding bikes' in the area especially on the New Denver to Kaslo stretch, and I am sure it will continue next year too. BC's new excessive speeding laws call for immediate and mandatory 7 day vehicle impoundment for 40 kph and over the posted limit. Thank god I am on a KLR :biggrin:

Cut and paste from a local sportbike site specifically re: Kaslo/New Denver :

Due to local public pressure, the police have adopted the tactic of running a two car rolling speed trap along this route.......you see the the first police car and dial it down......but he has already radioed your speed back to the police car that's following behind him.........you think it's all good having met the one car and dial it back up........and then you get stopped by the second car,who now has the two speed readings on you to compare

I was dicussing with the officer,the possibility of giving this old guy a warning, when around the corner comes four sport bikes,doing the speed limit, because they had been warned,by hand signal that there was a police car on the road,.....but not two. The first rider gives the officer thumbs down for stopping bikes,the last rider in line,is a little more expressive and gives the one finger salute

Around the corner they go and you can hear them ramping up,totally unaware that they are riding into a trap My officer sprints back to his car,yelling over his shoulder "you've got your warning"

I guess the message here is that the police are changing tatics and aggressivly targetting riders on these popular roads

The key word here is "targetting",with todays penalties it might be worth the argument in traffic court,even if only for a reduced outcome,like,say keeping your bike!

It will still be fun and the beer will be cold!

Archived