2011 Kootenay Hootenanny 2 - PNW/Canada Meet in Nelson, BC

superfunkomatic

Long or short day ride?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have a long or short day ride at the meet (350 or 500+ kilometers)?

• Member Contributer

Yes, he met me at the last one, so you can't blame him if he wants to go back... :laughing6-hehe:

Looking forward to share a beer in Nelson with you two fellers. Until then, I may get one or two more rides before I store the o'l viffer this week as the weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow and the next day. Happy riding!

C

I have marked it in my schedule - I will book with the New Grand again...never had a issue there, except for the Amazing McCrory:

Otherwise, the RCMP have been dealing with lots of complaints about 'speeding bikes' in the area especially on the New Denver to Kaslo stretch, and I am sure it will continue next year too. BC's new excessive speeding laws call for immediate and mandatory 7 day vehicle impoundment for 40 kph and over the posted limit. Thank god I am on a KLR :biggrin:

Cut and paste from a local sportbike site specifically re: Kaslo/New Denver :

Due to local public pressure, the police have adopted the tactic of running a two car rolling speed trap along this route.......you see the the first police car and dial it down......but he has already radioed your speed back to the police car that's following behind him.........you think it's all good having met the one car and dial it back up........and then you get stopped by the second car,who now has the two speed readings on you to compare

I was dicussing with the officer,the possibility of giving this old guy a warning, when around the corner comes four sport bikes,doing the speed limit, because they had been warned,by hand signal that there was a police car on the road,.....but not two. The first rider gives the officer thumbs down for stopping bikes,the last rider in line,is a little more expressive and gives the one finger salute

Around the corner they go and you can hear them ramping up,totally unaware that they are riding into a trap My officer sprints back to his car,yelling over his shoulder "you've got your warning"

I guess the message here is that the police are changing tatics and aggressivly targetting riders on these popular roads

The key word here is "targetting",with todays penalties it might be worth the argument in traffic court,even if only for a reduced outcome,like,say keeping your bike!

It will still be fun and the beer will be cold!

heres another wright up about increased police presence, we shouldn't have to worry VFR guys are nice civilized riders, Right ...... :biggrin:

KASLO RCMP IMPOUND 3 BIKES ON POPULAR HIGHWAY FOR SPEEDERS

KASLO R-C-M-P SEIZED THREE MOTORCYCLES ON HIGHWAY 31A OVER THE WEEKEND UNDER NEW PROVINCIAL LEGISLATION AIMED AT CLAMPING DOWN ON EXCESSIVE SPEEDING.

CORPORAL CHRIS BACKUS SAYS THE STRETCH OF HIGHWAY BETWEEN KASLO AND NEW DENVER IS A POPULAR ONE FOR MOTORCYCLE ENTHUSIASTS.

EACH OF THE THREE MOTORBIKES SEIZED WERE CLOCKED AT 140 KILOMETRES PER HOUR.

THE SPEED LIMIT ON HIGHWAY 31A IS 80 KILOMETRES PER HOUR.

AS PER THE NEW LEGISLATION, THE MOTORCYCLES WILL BE HELD FOR SEVEN DAYS AND EACH OF THE DRIVERS WAS GIVEN A $368 TICKET.

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,57543.0/topicseen.html

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

CBRs allowed?

Who's doing the t-shirts?

I'd love to make it, since the last time I was only able to stay the one evening... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

superFunkomatic / et all

I spoke with my ex-employer ( MC after market parts / acces supplier ) and have the following donations:

1. $50.00 pre-paid gas card. ( not sure if its Petro Can / Shell or..... )

2. Symtec grip heater w/ rocker switch ( Symtec # 210019RR )

I will get these items to superfunk, at some point in the next few weeks I will be in Calgary.

G

Yes, CBRs are welcome. Any bike is welcome.

Hell, I'll probably be riding a KLR to the meet unless I can make it back from the North in time.

I'll organize all the t-shirts again. This will probably happen in the spring again like the 2008 meet.

Stay a little longer this time ;)

mike

CBRs allowed?

Who's doing the t-shirts?

I'd love to make it, since the last time I was only able to stay the one evening... :fing02:

Awesome! Thanx, G!

Those will be great door prizes.

Keep me posted on when you're going to be here.

The local motorcycle dealer has agreed to chip in something, too (not sure just yet what it is). I'll be meeting with him in the spring when I go out there for a ride.

superFunkomatic / et all

I spoke with my ex-employer ( MC after market parts / acces supplier ) and have the following donations:

1. $50.00 pre-paid gas card. ( not sure if its Petro Can / Shell or..... )

2. Symtec grip heater w/ rocker switch ( Symtec # 210019RR )

I will get these items to superfunk, at some point in the next few weeks I will be in Calgary.

G

• Member Contributer

Allright something to look forward to :cheerleader: After missing #1, then being able to enjoy 2010 Kootenay Tour "The Best of BC" I can't wait, Hopefully my ride will be wearing new clothes by then! She just turned over 75k on the way home last night :fing02:

Gary

• Member Contributer

Allright something to look forward to :cheerleader: After missing #1, then being able to enjoy 2010 Kootenay Tour "The Best of BC" I can't wait, Hopefully my ride will be wearing new clothes by then! She just turned over 75k on the way home last night :fing02:

Gary

That's good to hear, Gary. Something like this?

VFR_reg.JPG

OK I'm in for the 19,20,21. As far as the Grand goes, If you guys want to try again, I'm OK with that. Obviously there was more going on with that deal than I was aware of... As far as Ainsworth is concerned I offer my apologies as it was my idea. I enjoyed the hotsprings for my aching body. It was a few bucks more but I thought it was worth it. This was my first VFR ride and I had a great time on the Kootney ride please count me in on this one too! I look forward to seeing everyone again. Does the grand at least have a hot tub? Is this just a meet at Nelson or is there an organized ride?

• Member Contributer

Sponsorship

I'll definitely contact the motorcycle dealership this time and invite him over for a beer or two. We'll see if he's interested in some level of sponsorship or can offer deals on merchandise.

About the New Grand

The home base will likely be the New Grand Hotel again.

We had 25-30 riders stay in the hotel last time and all had a good experience. The only negative one was the crappy one-man band. I'll talk to the owners about this.

For those that haven't been to Nelson, don't let this bad experience by some colour your views of Nelson, BC. It's a great spot to hang out, it's very welcoming and I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here. I ride out from Calgary two or three times a year or stop in Nelson on my way home from summer rides. It's really a jewel of the interior of BC.

Alternatives

There are other hotels and accomodations there, so my suggestion is that if you're are unhappy with them your more than welcome to stay at the Hume or other venues - don't let it be a reason to not come to the meet. Nelson is small enough that you can walk down the street for meals and to hang out with us. I really don't think this is an issue. I'll post alternatives soon. There are some excellent B&Bs, hostels and other hotels within a stone's throw of the New Grand.

More Details to follow…

Stay tuned.

Last time through we contacted the New Grand and asked for a better than the average bear rate and a block of rooms (I think it was 20 rooms) be held until June (??), they were most accommodating. Might have merit for 2011.

• Member Contributer

Does the grand at least have a hot tub? Is this just a meet at Nelson or is there an organized ride?

I have stayed at the Hume and The Grand and neither has a hot tub. I have friends who have stayed at The Best Western after skiing, and it has a hot tub. Only a couple of blocks from the Grand - easy walking distance if you must have a hot tub.

There will be a meet-up at Nelson, and a variety of rides to choose from - varying in distance and speed... or none at all if you stay in the hot tub :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Time will tell. Depends on what my shifts will be at that time. Best Western sounds good to me. I don't intend on supporting the New Grand after last year. I see there has been some editing of this post from its original form. Just so there is no mistake. It was me who contacted the BBB. I fail to see what is wrong with that. That is what they are there for. The Houston Texas BBB were instrumental in convincing Greyhound to replace some golf clubs of mine they were responsible for loosing when I shipped them off and rode the bike to a golf game in Vernon a couple years back.

As far as the RCMP targeting bike, well that is life. We all know we push the speed limits. Getting caught is a risk we take. Now the stakes are higher. If you do not want to loose your bike for a few days, then drive accordingly. This should not be a surprise folks. The new regulations were well publicized. Recently I had my company car impounded for illegal parking by Vancouver. The parking zone changed five minutes before the ticket was placed on the car and the car impounded. It was costly. I had to pay cause it was not the company's fault. Who's fault was it?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll keep you posted.

Should have something very soon.

mike

Hey there superfunk!

Did you get a deal locked down with the grand hotel? I'd like to book a room but I was waiting until you had a chance to get it sorted, add me to the list please!

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated the first post in the thread. I have the room rates for the hotel.

Book soon to make sure we have the rooms as there is a provincial senior games event taking place at roughly the same time. Even if you are not staying at the New Grand make sure to book before the Xmas break or you'll likely be out of luck.

Drop me a line if you have any questions - superfunkomatic@shaw.ca

• Member Contributer

Flying up there solo...Anyone else looking for a Non Spooning, Non Axe Murdering Fellow rider to share a room with?? I have a reference :laughing6-hehe:

My Reference

Gary

• Member Contributer

Flying up there solo...Anyone else looking for a Non Spooning, Non Axe Murdering Fellow rider to share a room with?? I have a reference :laughing6-hehe:

My Reference

Gary

Non spooning?!??! Where's the fun in that?!! blink.gif Can I take this spot anyway? happy.gif I can deal with the axe murderer...

C

• Member Contributer

My Reference

Gary

If you're flying, what will you be riding? I've been thinking about riding there, but it's 1500 miles away.

• Member Contributer

My Reference

Gary

Non spooning?!??! Where's the fun in that?!! blink.gif Can I take this spot anyway? happy.gif I can deal with the axe murderer...

C

C, Spoon your bike, not your buddies. ( HiVis Vest Rule).

• Member Contributer

If you're flying, what will you be riding? I've been thinking about riding there, but it's 1500 miles away.

On a vfr?!? What's the problem?? biggrin.gif

C

:laughing6-hehe:

3000k miles, plus four days of to get there and back?!!! I don't know about that.

First posted updated -

Blocks of rooms must be booked by November 30th. I've booked a block of 15 rooms.

Please use the hotel's online booking system (New Grand Hotel - Bookings) or call the number provided in the first post. Rooms are being booked fast for that weekend so if you are booking a room do it soon as they will become scarce very soon. This includes the alternate hotels - I've checked with them and they are already receiving bookings for that weekend next year.

Also we can begin to confirm who will be going. Post up or send me a PM or e-mail - superfunkomatic@gmail.com

I've booked a room for this event. I have a question though, Rhonda said that superfunk booked the block for the 18th 19th and 20th going home the 21st I assume? Is that correct? Are we to meet there on the Thursday and head home on the Sunday?

Archived