Tires

Guest whitecl0ver

• Member Contributer

:pissed:

I prefer plain rims myself. They last forever and the smaller diameter gives a nice kick in the acceleration department.

Yeah, I agree. But I find they let the air out too easily. I have to fill mine before every ride!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another vote for the Pilot Road 2 from me. Used to run Metzeler Z6 before, and the difference is like night and day. I like to think that my tires speak to me when I ride... The Z6's were good in the wet, but the dry grip left something to be desired. Turn-in was slower than I liked, and when cornering hard or running over road markings (even dry) they did not inspire confidence, and gave hints of slipping every so often.

With the Pilot Road 2s on my bike turns in a bit better, and are telling me "Just push on, we're firmly planted - No problems!" in all conditions. I now ride with much more confidence. Next year I'll probably try a set of Avon Storm 2 or Pirelli Angel ST, just because I like to try new things. But so far PR2's are the golden standard IMO. :pissed:

After four sets of Conti road attacks, which I really liked, I am trying out a set of Battleax BT021. I was going to try the Shinko Raven, but just didn't happen this time. I am doing a lot more straight line riding than trying to drag a knee simply because I don't have the time to get out anymore. Mostly commuting, so I try to run tires conducive to that. But I still need the grip for when I do hit the twisties.

I think it would really help if we used the correct nomenclature:

Track Days: Power Oneâ„¢

Performance: Power Pureâ„¢

Performance: Pilot® Power 2CT

Performance: Pilot® Power

Sport Touring: Pilot® Road 2

Sport Touring: Pilot® Road

• Member Contributer

I think it would really help if we used the correct nomenclature:

Track Days: Power Oneâ„¢

Performance: Power Pureâ„¢

Performance: Pilot® Power 2CT

Performance: Pilot® Power

Sport Touring: Pilot® Road 2

Sport Touring: Pilot® Road

How about the conditions. Would the above still stand?

For my situation, I ride to work year round and the road is very tight slow speed and twisty with a 25kph posted speed limit (Occasionally exceeded biggrin.gif ) mixed with 60kph limit curved and straight with lots of tar snakes. I wanted the ultimate in wet traction as I've had a few s&$t your pants moments due to slippage and have been a lot more confident with PP2CT than I was with the previous ancient BT020.

Dry conditions:

Track Days: Power Oneâ„¢ ?

Performance: Power Pureâ„¢ ?

Performance: Pilot® Power 2CT ?

Performance: Pilot® Power ?

Sport Touring: Pilot® Road 2 ?

Sport Touring: Pilot® Road ?

Wet conditions:

Track Days: Power Oneâ„¢ ?

Performance: Power Pureâ„¢ ?

Performance: Pilot® Power 2CT ?

Performance: Pilot® Power ?

Sport Touring: Pilot® Road 2 ?

Sport Touring: Pilot® Road ?

• Member Contributer

anyone have any opinions about the Pirelli Angels yet

I am curious about them too. If I am correct the Angels are the successor for the Pirelli Diablo Corsa.

I am curious about them too. If I am correct the Angels are the successor for the Pirelli Diablo Corsa.

I dont think it replaces the Corsa as the Corsa is a supersport/track oriented tire where I think the Angles are more sport touring/sport tire.

• Member Contributer

Oh goody a tire thread!!

I've put 17,000 on a set of BT021's, never less than 11, 000 on any set I've bought. :) Actual usage may vary though. :blush:

Oh goody a tire thread!!

I've put 17,000 on a set of BT021's, never less than 11, 000 on any set I've bought. :) Actual usage may vary though. :491:

Wow. You should ride with the NFR crew, we'll help you get only 5,000 out of 'em! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I got a new PR2 out back and Pilot Pure on the front to replace my Mich Macadams. Yes Macadams! - from 2006 - I'm not proud of it - they died about 2 years ago! The salesman was about to ring the local museum :biggrin:

No in depth analysis, all I can say is I like them more than the Dunlop Roadsmarts I had on before them. To me the PR2 is still the #1 ST tire but if the Angels last as long as the PR2 that may change. Handling and (dry) grip are on par with the PR2s, handling maybe slightly better.

• Member Contributer

Literally just took off an Avon ST rear yesterday and replaced it with a PR2. I cannot knock the Avon, a stcky, comfortable confidence inspiring tyre in bone dry, or soaking wet water-on-the-road conditions. Other than tar snake shenanigans as the tyre became pretty square, and spare of tread, I never had one single 'moment' on that tyre. About 4k to 5k miles.

About 90 miles on tight roads so far w/ the PR2. Iniitial impressions are that the PR2 is a bit more sensitive to road conditions, a slightly firmer ride, allows a smoother, easier and a mite quicker turn in. At least on dry roads grip seems limitless. After my ride home yesterday I was surprised to find the R side of the tire scrubbed right up to the 2CT logo, I had not had the sense that the bike was leaning over quite that far. The Avon let me know how close to the edge of the tire I was as if by magic, about the same amount of lean(maybe a bit more), right before the peg feeler touched down. Don't know about wet conditions yet, but I likely will by Monday.

• Member Contributer

I dont think it replaces the Corsa as the Corsa is a supersport/track oriented tire where I think the Angles are more sport touring/sport tire.

Ops, you are right. I mixed it up the tire name with what I have instead of what I had... The Angels are the successors for the Pirelli Diablo Strada.

• Member Contributer

Oh goody a tire thread!!

I've put 17,000 on a set of BT021's, never less than 11, 000 on any set I've bought. :) Actual usage may vary though. :491:

OK, Ms. header scraper.....you forgot to mention that scrape mark on your headers from TMAC a couple of years ago..... :491: :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

I am curious about them too.

Just put about 1,200 miles on a new set, doing the Philly-West Virginia-Pittsburgh-Philly loop. Love the tires so far. The grip is absolutely confidence inspiring, no issues with turn-in or changing the line through a turn while seriously leaned over. Overall mileage and wet grip remain to be seen, but as a SPORT-touring tire, I am loving it.

• Member Contributer

Just checked the miles on my rear PR2CT and it's at 2631 miles. That is already record mileage for any kind of rear for me and I know it will make 3000 and maybe a little more. Ironically, the front PR2CT handles MUCH better as it wears down. The sides of the tire wear down and make it turn in much better. It usually works the other way around on other tires. :dry:

• Member Contributer

I'm loving my new Pirelli Angels. You can get them at www.tireeexpress.com for $219.99 (set). plus free shipping. And they should last close to that. Of Course, that depends on type of riding, heat, and lots of factors of course.

www.jakewilson.com has them for $223.98 with free shipping, plus you if you put in offer code jwcs20, you get $20 off for a total of $203.98 shipped.

+1 Just blistered a set of them and loved them !!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the Angels so cheap I might have to try them instead of the PR2's. So far it looks like $35 cheaper which isn't a lot but that is the price to get one of them mounted around here.

I ran two sets of Pilot Roads, the original ones- on my SV. 8-9k or so.

Two sets of Conti Road Attacks on my VFR about the same mileage.

I'm running Pirelli Angel ST's now and like them best- I have 6k on them and they look a little more than half worn.

I'm running Pirelli Angel ST's now and like them best- I have 6k on them and they look a little more than half worn.

Haven't tried the Angle's yet, but the original Pilot Road was one of the crappiest tires I've ever hit the twisties on! The PR2 is Ten tires the tire in every way over the PR! :fing02:

I agree with BR, the standard piot roads are such crap anything feels better

• 2 months later...

I've only had my a bike a few days, but have gotten some decent canyon carving time with it. I've got Pilot Road 2's and HATE them. These things literally feel like they are skidding/drifting out from under me in moderate lean and acceleration. Now I know sport touring tires are less aggressive than the 2CT's and Qualifiers I've had in the past, but I have NO confidence in the Pilot Road 2's.

Archived