The Pine Sol degreaser thread

SEBSPEED

• Member Contributer

Fantastico!

I love it.

I also found out, accidentally, that Plexis is an excellent degreaser for the tar and black label chain lube that gets on my chrome Microns.

• Member Contributer

hhmmm 3 days of soaking.. i spend 1 buck for an aluminum baking pan.. 1 buck for a paslic bucket (to catch any overflow.) and 15 for a 1 gallon can of GUNK carb dip.

wrap the pan around the disasembled carbs..

place in plastick bucket.. pour in the gunk.. let sit for 30 min.. looks like new..

same as the pine col ..just much faster..

i guess if your doing stuff at home taking your time pine sol is the ticket.. in a shop.. GUNK.. :fing02:

hhmmm 3 days of soaking.. i spend 1 buck for an aluminum baking pan.. 1 buck for a paslic bucket (to catch any overflow.) and 15 for a 1 gallon can of GUNK carb dip.

wrap the pan around the disasembled carbs..

place in plastick bucket.. pour in the gunk.. let sit for 30 min.. looks like new..

same as the pine col ..just much faster..

i guess if your doing stuff at home taking your time pine sol is the ticket.. in a shop.. GUNK.. :fing02:

I've got a bucket of that too, works great as well. Pine Sol seems to do the trick for the budget minded, besides, it's good to have options! Like I said, it seems I could have filled my parts washer with this instead... also, you never know, the store might be closed - now you can reach under the kitchen sink for a solution! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I have found that Simple Green works well also.

While simple green is a great cleaner, it will DESTROY certain materials, like the gaskets in your chain. Ask me how I know...

While simple green is a great cleaner, it will DESTROY certain materials, like the gaskets in your chain. Ask me how I know...

It will also degrade aluminum if not rinsed properly.

• Member Contributer

Seb,

Thanks for the tip.

I have a bunch of greasy parts in need of cleaning and I really puzzled over how the hek to clean them up.

I really did not want to keep a bucket full of harsh stinky chemicals in the garage.

Pinesol I can live with. :lobby:

• Member Contributer

I needed a bike size vat to stick my whole bike in, boy it was filthy!

:lobby:

Mine too, right Seb?

• Member Contributer

On the other hand, I bet your soon-to-be-replaced chain had never looked better - just like mine did after a Simple Green scrubbing. :woohoo: :pissed:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm in the process of restoring a 1971 Kawasaki F7 enduro that hasn't been ridden for approx 10 years and the time that it was ridden (9k miles) was 95% off road. Therefore there is a lot of old baked on grease, dirt and crap. I have tried the Pine Sol parts wash basin, and while it works well for dirt, grease from the chain and swingarm pivot area laughs at the "de-greasing" powers. I'd say that if you have some serious funk going on, that you better spend the jack on real degreaser. On a second note, it appears to take off paint too if left too long. I have been letting parts soak for 3 to 4 days at a time, some parts do two or three cycles, and when they come out after a longer soak the paint is blistered. This may be the fact that it is a 40 year old bike, or it may be the fact that it is paint and not powder, but I don't think that I'd trust my VFR parts in the solution. For reference, my solution is mixed 5 parts pine sol 3 parts water.

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer

This is a great tip. Never would have thought about using PSol. Much better alternative to the cleaners I've used. THX!

• Member Contributer

Just wanted to say thanks to Sebspeed for starting this thread. It would have never occurred to me to try Pine Sol as a degreaser. I picked up a used vacuum-actuated petcock for my DR650 on eBay recently. Great deal ($5 plus $6 shipping for a part that sells for $85 at the stealer...), but it came pretty dirty. I rummaged around under the kitchen sink and came up with a half bottle of Pine Sol. I soaked the petcock in five parts Pine Sol, one part water for about 24 hours and it came out looking almost like new! I will second what someone else said though, don't stick your hands in the Pine Sol tub for very long without gloves. I decided to scrub at the petcock with a small brush for a while and found that it sucks all the oil out of your hands too.

Edited by Belfry

Be careful if you use this on old carbs that are the grey cast aluminum ones. I let a couple soak and after a few days I took them out. It made the aluminum to start rubbing off.

You can always boil carbs.

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip52.htm

I'm not doubting you, just makes me wonder why if it doesn't seem to hurt rubber?

I'm not doubting you, just makes me wonder why if it doesn't seem to hurt rubber?

I've seen reports of the Pine Sol swelling/deteriorating small rubber components - please remove as many of the rubber parts as possible before soaking parts for long periods of time.